Peak season frustration

drazzy93

Rant/questions about interactions with supervisors. I work in small sorts, and because of that I thankfully don't run into my FT supervisor all that often. Despite this fact, I don't really have a great impression of him.

There was a point in the past year where I lost my car, and experienced difficulty in getting to work. I was chaffeured around by my parents, and I was forced to miss a few shifts that week. One day I told my PT supervisor that I would be late that day to check and make sure it was fine for me to go in. They told me that it was fine, and so I was walking to my department 15 minutes late when my PT sup texts me telling me not to come in.

What the...? I try to reason with them because I wasted all that time and effort in getting to work just to be told to go home? After a couple of texts exchanged the PT sup eventually says, "(Insert FT supervisor name here) is really pissed off. Just go." Fine, whatever. I figured it was because of my poor attendance up to that point. I chose to forget about it even though it was a pretty crappy thing of them to do when they knew I was having a tough time getting to work.

My attendance improved tremendously, and I turned into one of the most hardworking employees. Peak season rolls around, and I'm showing up hours before everyone else. I'm doing multiple different tasks that are not even part of my job, basically subbing for everyone until all the regulars show up. Today I had worked 6 hours until I finally decided to sit down in this nook (my PT supervisor already told me it was fine to do this the day before), and I started to feel a little better.

Not even 10 seconds pass before my PT supervisor approaches me, says "You need to get up because you're pissing off the FT supervisor." My PT supervisor and I had engaged in some snarky correspondence earlier that day, so I just blew up (by my standards). I straight up disagreed with her, and I told her that I had only been sitting for 10 seconds, and I needed a break. They say to me, "Do you see anyone else sitting?" and completely set me off. "Well, was anyone else here when I showed up hours before everyone else? Is anyone else working in the busiest booth in this department?

I'm slinging at least 1,000 more packages than almost everyone here." I basically said. She finally cut off the conversation by saying "The point is that you need to not just sit down. You're permitted a break after 5 hours." Gee, thanks a lot. That would have been useful information over a week ago after pulling insane shifts every day. Would have been especially useful during that conversation where you told me it was OK to sit there. Anyway, I've heard that it's very difficult to get fired from UPS, but I just want to check and make sure I'm not pushing it by arguing with my PT supervisor like that.

I'm just tired of always coming in before everyone else, doing more work than anyone there, jumping back and forth in multiple positions, and then being treated by the PT supervisor like that. After the PT supervisor said "Do you see anyone else sitting?" I was tempted to say, "Well, gee, you're right. Maybe I should start showing up at the scheduled time instead of hours earlier as usual!" but I would never do that because I need the money. I'm just really starting to get irritated with my FT and PT sups.

I just want to make sure it's not a fireable offense to NOT be a doormat for everyone to walk all over. It was my PT supervisor's fault I was sitting there, and they should have accepted the blame for it instead of pining all of it on me. I've never actually argued with a supervisor before PT or FT so I just need to make sure I won't get in trouble for this. What is the parameters of this "impossibility" of getting fired?

PT Car Washer

Rant/questions about interactions with supervisors. I work in small sorts, and because of that I thankfully don't run into my FT supervisor all that often. Despite this fact, I don't really have a great impression of him.

There was a point in the past year where I lost my car, and experienced difficulty in getting to work. I was chaffeured around by my parents, and I was forced to miss a few shifts that week. One day I told my PT supervisor that I would be late that day to check and make sure it was fine for me to go in. They told me that it was fine, and so I was walking to my department 15 minutes late when my PT sup texts me telling me not to come in.

What the...? I try to reason with them because I wasted all that time and effort in getting to work just to be told to go home? After a couple of texts exchanged the PT sup eventually says, "(Insert FT supervisor name here) is really :censored2: off. Just go." Fine, whatever. I figured it was because of my poor attendance up to that point. I chose to forget about it even though it was a pretty crappy thing of them to do when they knew I was having a tough time getting to work.

My attendance improved tremendously, and I turned into one of the most hardworking employees. Peak season rolls around, and I'm showing up hours before everyone else. I'm doing multiple different tasks that are not even part of my job, basically subbing for everyone until all the regulars show up. Today I had worked 6 hours until I finally decided to sit down in this nook (my PT supervisor already told me it was fine to do this the day before), and I started to feel a little better.

Not even 10 seconds pass before my PT supervisor approaches me, says "You need to get up because you're pissing off the FT supervisor." My PT supervisor and I had engaged in some snarky correspondence earlier that day, so I just blew up (by my standards). I straight up disagreed with her, and I told her that I had only been sitting for 10 seconds, and I needed a break. They say to me, "Do you see anyone else sitting?" and completely set me off. "Well, was anyone else here when I showed up hours before everyone else? Is anyone else working in the busiest booth in this department?

I'm slinging at least 1,000 more packages than almost everyone here." I basically said. She finally cut off the conversation by saying "The point is that you need to not just sit down. You're permitted a break after 5 hours." Gee, thanks a lot. That would have been useful information over a week ago after pulling insane shifts every day. Would have been especially useful during that conversation where you told me it was OK to sit there. Anyway, I've heard that it's very difficult to get fired from UPS, but I just want to check and make sure I'm not pushing it by arguing with my PT supervisor like that.

I'm just tired of always coming in before everyone else, doing more work than anyone there, jumping back and forth in multiple positions, and then being treated by the PT supervisor like that. After the PT supervisor said "Do you see anyone else sitting?" I was tempted to say, "Well, gee, you're right. Maybe I should start showing up at the scheduled time instead of hours earlier as usual!" but I would never do that because I need the money. I'm just really starting to get irritated with my FT and PT sups.

I just want to make sure it's not a fireable offense to NOT be a doormat for everyone to walk all over. It was my PT supervisor's fault I was sitting there, and they should have accepted the blame for it instead of pining all of it on me. I've never actually argued with a supervisor before PT or FT so I just need to make sure I won't get in trouble for this. What is the parameters of this "impossibility" of getting fired?
Skating on thin ice arguing with your sup. You could be charged with being disrespectful and be terminated. I have seen it happen before. Most likely you will be back after a couple days but that is not the point. Some sups are very good at goading people into a negative response just to make a charge of being disrespectful.

drazzy93

Skating on thin ice arguing with your sup. You could be charged with being disrespectful and be terminated. I have seen it happen before. Most likely you will be back after a couple days but that is not the point. Some sups are very good at goading people into a negative response just to make a charge of being disrespectful.

Good point. I don't think this is exactly typical arguing, though. I don't even raise my voice or anything. I just basically disagree with that the PT supervisor says.

All I did was question what the PT sup said to me. After they told me to get up I said "I don't understand why the FT supervisor is so upset. This is the first time I've sat in hours for a breather. I've been here for a really long and difficult shift, and I need to take a break every once in a while."

And they answered with, "Do you see anyone else sitting here?" and then I said "I don't see how that matters because I've been here for longer than any of them blah blah." I just feel like "Do you see anyone else sitting?" was a seriously rude and snarky thing to say. Honestly completely destroyed my impression of them, and I thought they were pretty cool up until now.

I just kind of ... Questioned what they said to me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

What the...? I try to reason with them because I wasted all that time and effort in getting to work just to be told to go home? After a couple of texts exchanged the PT sup eventually says, "(Insert FT supervisor name here) is really :censored2: off. Just go." Fine, whatever. I figured it was because of my poor attendance up to that point. I chose to forget about it even though it was a pretty crappy thing of them to do when they knew I was having a tough time getting to work.

Maybe you should slow it down a notch

PT Car Washer

Good point. I don't think this is exactly typical arguing, though. I don't even raise my voice or anything. I just basically disagree with that the PT supervisor says, and honestly I was raised by parents who had me convinced that "meanie supervisors are just a fact of life," that I just had to accept anything a sup does to me even if they insult me, or hit me or something.

So, basically even if I disagree with what a sup says at all, I cringe on the inside. All I did was question what the PT sup said to me. After they told me to get up I said "I don't understand why the FT supervisor is so upset. This is the first time I've sat in hours for a breather. I've been here for a really long and difficult shift, and I need to take a break every once in a while."

And they answered with, "Do you see anyone else sitting here?" and then I said "I don't see how that matters because I've been here for longer than any of them blah blah." I just feel like "Do you see anyone else sitting?" was a seriously rude and snarky thing to say. Honestly completely destroyed my impression of them, and I thought they were pretty cool up until now.

Anyway, I digress, I'm just saying that while this is "my definition" of an argument, I don't know if everyone would feel the same way. I don't raise my voice or anything. I just kind of ... Questioned what they said to me.
Does not really matter what your "definition" is. Just what the sup wants to call it. Of course most people are not that vindictive to want to fire a good employee over something so trivial, but there is that one on a power trip or something.

drazzy93

Does not really matter what your "definition" is. Just what the sup wants to call it. Of course most people are not that vindictive to want to fire a good employee over something so trivial, but there is that one on a power trip or something.

So, you're saying that it would be a good idea to not disagree with anything they say and just let them say whatever they want to me even if it was obviously them who was wrong? The PT supervisor told me that it was fine to sit there, but then of course when the FT supervisor says something about it they're quick to blame me.

drazzy93

Quit trying to be Superman and just do the job

I see where you're coming from, but honestly it's not even my intention. It's just that I usually have to show up an hour early or because of the bus schedule, and I get pretty bored sitting in the breakroom doing nothing. I definitely don't try to be "Superman" because I know that there isn't any point in it. I've been here for over a year so I know that much. I pace myself within my limits, which is why I didn't accept it when they told me that I wasn't allowed to take a break.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

So, you're saying that it would be a good idea to not disagree with anything they say and just let them say whatever they want to me even if it was obviously them who was wrong? The PT supervisor told me that it was fine to sit there, but then of course when the FT supervisor says something about it they're quick to blame me.
Yes. And then get your Union Steward involved if you feel that strongly about the situation. I have literally stood 10 feet apart from a sup or manager while the Steward went back and forth between us discussing the different view points. Never used to be like this, but seems that is the way the job is going to.

drazzy93

Yes. And then get your Union Steward involved if you feel that strongly about the situation. I have literally stood 10 feet apart from a sup or manager while the Steward went back and forth between us discussing the different view points. Never used to be like this, but seems that is the way the job is going to.

That really sucks. I wasn't sure because I remember one time I saw my union steward flip the bird at my FT supervisor so I figured things were different at UPS than any other company. I'm definitely going to remember to avoid responding right away, and I'll take a few minutes to think it over instead.

I didn't realize PT supervisors had that much control since they're so widely mocked on this forum. I just feel like the PT supervisor should have taken responsibility, and truthfully at the time I didn't really care if I was fired on the spot for saying these things because I was so irritated with the job. This job has been deceptive from the beginning.

The first piece of paper on this job I ever got claimed I was going to be working from 4pm until 10pm as if it was an everyday thing, and then of course I learned eventually about the 3.5 hour guarantee. Honestly this isn't the best job in the world so I wouldn't cry if I got fired. So I think I'm definitely gonna stand up for myself when these things happen.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dont waste you time writing a novel about work

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Don't waste your time writing a novel about work

PT Car Washer

That really sucks. I wasn't sure because I remember one time I saw my union steward flip the bird at my FT supervisor so I figured things were different at UPS than any other company. I'm definitely going to remember to avoid responding right away, and I'll take a few minutes to think it over instead.

I didn't realize PT supervisors had that much control since they're so widely mocked on this forum. I just feel like the PT supervisor should have taken responsibility, and truthfully at the time I didn't really care if I was fired on the spot for saying these things because I was so irritated with the job. This job has been deceptive from the beginning.

The first piece of paper on this job I ever got claimed I was going to be working from 4pm until 10pm as if it was an everyday thing, and then of course I learned eventually about the 3.5 hour guarantee. Honestly this isn't the best job in the world so I wouldn't cry if I got fired. So I think I'm definitely gonna stand up for myself when these things happen.
PT sup have only as much authority as their manager gives them. For most of the time they are lap dogs, but they can be used as attack dogs if their manager wants to set an example for the sort.

drazzy93

PT sup have only as much authority as their manager gives them. For most of the time they are lap dogs, but they can be used as attack dogs if their manager wants to set an example for the sort.

By lap dog do you mean that most PT supervisors are pleasant? As I said before, I honestly thought this PT supervisor was cool up until today. I really don't know if it was just a bad day for them or something. After the interaction the PT supervisor did seem more amicable, even going as far as to help me out with my final tasks, and smiling a little.

However, I think it speaks volumes if someone actively shirks off blame onto a subordinate when it was obviously their fault. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I just really don't get how "Do you see anyone else sitting" is an appropriate and helpful response at all even if I had just been lounging around like a lazy bum.

Especially considering that I'm doing more than everyone else. I just think someone who the majority of the work around the department (yes, it is being paid don't worry) should get much more respect than that. It's just unfortunate because I was considering seeing about becoming a PT sup mainly because I need the extra money NOW so badly that I'd sell my soul for a raise and don't really need a career with UPS.

But I can see now that this is the kind of stuff that is going to prevent me from becoming a PT sup. Because it sounds like you need to brownnose your way into that promotion. And I know the FT sup doesn't seem all that thrilled about me is a understatement.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Quit showing up early and working for free. If you have to come in early then don't do any union work until you are getting paid to do so. You can ask your supervisor if they want to punch you in and you can help out, but if they decline then wait until your start time.

You are entitled to your PAID break at a certain time. So you can stand, sit, or lay down on your break and they can't do a thing about it. Saying you can take your break but not sit down is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of!

Take your break when it's allotted and SIT DOWN next time right in front of the :censored2:y FT sup. If they say anything to you about sitting down, calmly explain to them you are on your paid break which is YOUR personal time. If they keep bothering you while on break or tell you that you can't sit down to rest your body, then inform them you will be talking to your steward and filing a harassment grievance the first thing once the sort is over. I'm dead serious! And any other time if you need just a quick breather, even if it's for 30 seconds, you need to stop and rest your body. You are a person not a robot, and if they ask what you're doing just tell them "I was working as fast as I safely could and need a few moments to catch my breath."

You have nothing to worry about, you will not get fired over something this trivial. You sound like an awesome employee and the type of people we need to have working with us. But you need to quit working for free because if you give ups an inch they will take a mile. I think you can come to that conclusion after this post how you donate your time and help ups out, but then after sitting down for 10 seconds they are screaming at you...

PT Car Washer

By lap dog do you mean that most PT supervisors are pleasant? As I said before, I honestly thought this PT supervisor was cool up until today. I really don't know if it was just a bad day for them or something. After the interaction the PT supervisor did seem more amicable, even going as far as to help me out with my final tasks, and smiling a little.

However, I think it speaks volumes if someone actively shirks off blame onto a subordinate when it was obviously their fault. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I just really don't get how "Do you see anyone else sitting" is an appropriate and helpful response at all even if I had just been lounging around like a lazy bum.

Especially considering that I'm doing more than everyone else. I just think someone who the majority of the work around the department (yes, it is being paid don't worry) should get much more respect than that. It's just unfortunate because I was considering seeing about becoming a PT sup mainly because I need the extra money NOW so badly that I'd sell my soul for a raise and don't really need a career with UPS.

But I can see now that this is the kind of stuff that is going to prevent me from becoming a PT sup. Because it sounds like you need to brownnose your way into that promotion. And I know the FT sup doesn't seem all that thrilled about me is a understatement.
Shirking off blame onto your subordinates is the UPS way to survive in management. Sort nor wrapped on time, blame the PT sups. Miss a trailer, blame a PT sup, or if bad enough a FT sup. Everyone in lower management is disposable starting at the bottom.

35years

Gravy route
Ask your steward to get involved.

Ask your steward how much break you get, and when. You likely are due a second 10 minute break after that many hours.

Read the National contract and your regional and local supplements.

You are in the right here.

If they dare fire you you will have a strong case...you were denied break. There are State laws regarding mandatory break. Check with your State Department of Labor.

Never loose your cool with sups or managers. Document all conversations. Ask to have a steward present. If they want to talk to you, ask if the conversation could lead to discipline...If so, demand a steward and refuse to say anything more until one is present.

If they deny your break again tell them you will have to call the Dept. of Labor hotline to check if you are owed break.

You have seen what they are really like. Time to take the blinders off and realize they are not on your side. Protect yourself.

Last edited: