Peak season frustration

drazzy93

> Quit showing up early and working for free.

Oh believe me I do not do that. I figured that out a long time ago when I was being asked to show up 15+ minutes early by the sups. I do not work unless I'm being paid, period. I am being paid for these extra hours, it's just that I am the only one who is willing to show up this early I guess.

drazzy93

Shirking off blame onto your subordinates is the UPS way to survive in management. Sort nor wrapped on time, blame the PT sups. Miss a trailer, blame a PT sup, or if bad enough a FT sup. Everyone in lower management is disposable starting at the bottom.

Aw, that actually makes me sympathize with them a little. Just a very, very, very tiny amount and then I'm sure I'll be back to my usual seething hatred tomorrow. I just can't stand the FT supervisor because he honestly seems like he's full of himself. I think he doesn't like me just because I don't literally get on my knees and bow down to him.

Whenever he walks down the department everyone scrambles to talk to him and brownnose I guess. I'm pretty much the only one who doesn't do that, and I'll bet when I send in my application to become a PT sup my refusal to brownnose will be the sole reason why it is rejected.

Rack em

Made the Podium

Oh believe me I do not do that. I figured that out a long time ago when I was being asked to show up 15+ minutes early by the sups. I do not work unless I'm being paid, period. I am being paid for these extra hours, it's just that I am the only one who is willing to show up this early I guess.
That's good, keep up the good work!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A break after 5 hours? If you are a PTer....our break is supposed to be after the first hour and before the end of the 3rd hour. Of course we only get a 10 min break for a 9 hour shift during peak which is total BS. If you need to sit down for a moment to "catch your breath"....do it. If they complain...ask for your steward.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Shirking off blame onto your subordinates is the UPS way to survive in management. Sort nor wrapped on time, blame the PT sups. Miss a trailer, blame a PT sup, or if bad enough a FT sup. Everyone in lower management is disposable starting at the bottom.
Our supplement says PT break period is "Near the middle of the shift." It shouldn't be after an hour into a 6+ hour shift.

drazzy93

Our supplement says PT break period is "Near the middle of the shift." It shouldn't be after an hour into a 6+ hour shift.

Yep I definitely wouldn't just sit down after an hour. That's just nothing in comparison to my 8+ hour shifts. When I started to sit down almost 6 hours had passed so it really pissed me off that my PT supervisor acted like I was being a lazy :censored2: for not wanting to risk injuring myself. Then you try to say "Is anyone else sitting down?" when none of these :censored2: people have been working as many hours as I have been that day. Just such a :censored2:bag and STUPID thing to say.

During my job, I'm bending over, getting on my knees, twisting, running, jumping and so many more all in the span of 10 SECONDS. These jobs are NOT meant to be worked for 8+ hours. Now that I'm better informed I AM going to sit my ass down tomorrow when I need my break, and I'm going to enjoy it. If anything comes from what I said to my PT sup yesterday, I am definitely going to harp on about the fact they were preventing me from taking my break.

I'll go all out if they even think about disciplining me for how I talked to my PT sup. I'll even go as far as to tell them that the several seconds they spent talking to me doesn't count as my break. It only counts when I get to recover physically AND emotionally :P next time I hear a new package handler claim they love their job I'm just gonna say "Yeah, wait until peak season..."

Last edited:

By The Book

So, you're saying that it would be a good idea to not disagree with anything they say and just let them say whatever they want to me even if it was obviously them who was wrong? The PT supervisor told me that it was fine to sit there, but then of course when the FT supervisor says something about it they're quick to blame me.
Yes, let them say whatever they want, they are your supervisors. Look, it's UPS'S world we just live in it. They have huuuuuge egos that need to be stroked, so don't get in a pissing contest with them. The FT sup may of not been aware that you had been on the clock 1 to 2 hours before the other people on the shift so it stuck out that only you were sitting, and needing a break. If I were you I would work at a pace the same as the others on your shift. You say you are working within your limits yet you are about to blow your stack over nothing. Use this job to make some cash and don't overthink it. You said your PT sup said it was ok to take a break yesterday where you took it today, well today he's going to want you to ask him if you can take a break before you take it. Your shift only works if everyone is working at the same time if you can picture that. Last thing...in your other thread you said you were a package handler for 4 months, and this thread you've worked here a year, which is it?

drazzy93

Yes, let them say whatever they want, they are your supervisors. Look, it's UPS'S world we just live in it. They have huuuuuge egos that need to be stroked, so don't get in a pissing contest with them. The FT sup may of not been aware that you had been on the clock 1 to 2 hours before the other people on the shift so it stuck out that only you were sitting, and needing a break. If I were you I would work at a pace the same as the others on your shift. You say you are working within your limits yet you are about to blow your stack over nothing. Use this job to make some cash and don't overthink it. You said your PT sup said it was ok to take a break yesterday where you took it today, well today he's going to want you to ask him if you can take a break before you take it. Your shift only works if everyone is working at the same time if you can picture that. Last thing...in your other thread you said you were a package handler for 4 months, and this thread you've worked here a year, which is it?

First of all, my FT supervisor is 100% aware of it. He is the one who schedules us.

Secondly, "blow my stack over nothing?" Good one. You see, I was fine today, but my legs were simply becoming stiff and sore so I knew I needed to sit down to rub out the stiffness. I sat down for not even 10 SECONDS BEFORE the PT supervisor came running. Thirdly, it was NOT a break.

It's like how package handlers tend to sit down on big packages/tires when there is downtime. There was NOTHING to do in my booth, you see, I timed it so meticulously until the point where I had ZERO packages left to do, and I had to wait for more to come in so I just sat down. But somehow that "pisses off my FT supervisor" so I guess I will have to take a more time-consuming 10 minute break in the breakroom 200+ feet away as opposed to just sitting down for 15 seconds until my legs feel better.

Again, I had literally not sat there for any more than 10 seconds until the PT sup came up to me. I know a lot of people exaggerate these things, but I am not exaggerating at all. I was shocked that my FT supervisor had focused on these 5 seconds (which he somehow saw even though I had no idea where he was?) and berated me for those 5 seconds. So, yeah, I reiterate, the more time-consuming 10 minute break, having to hold up my supervisors and coworkers so that I can be relieved sounds like a much better idea.

If he's going to throw a fit over 10 seconds of sitting he deserves to experience the inconvenience of an employee taking a break in the middle of the shift.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you being asked to start early or are you changing your own start time?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy.gif

By The Book

First of all, my FT supervisor is 100% aware of it. He is the one who schedules us.

Secondly, "blow my stack over nothing?" Good one. You see, I was fine today, but my legs were simply becoming stiff and sore so I knew I needed to sit down to rub out the stiffness. I sat down for not even 10 SECONDS BEFORE the PT supervisor came running. Thirdly, it was NOT a break.

It's like how package handlers tend to sit down on big packages/tires when there is downtime. There was NOTHING to do in my booth, you see, I timed it so meticulously until the point where I had ZERO packages left to do, and I had to wait for more to come in so I just sat down. But somehow that "pisses off my FT supervisor" so I guess I will have to take a more time-consuming 10 minute break in the breakroom 200+ feet away as opposed to just sitting down for 15 seconds until my legs feel better.

Again, I had literally not sat there for any more than 10 seconds until the PT sup came up to me. I know a lot of people exaggerate these things, but I am not exaggerating at all. I was shocked that my FT supervisor had focused on these 5 seconds (which he somehow saw even though I had no idea where he was?) and berated me for those 5 seconds. So, yeah, I reiterate, the more time-consuming 10 minute break, having to hold up my supervisors and coworkers so that I can be relieved sounds like a much better idea.

If he's going to throw a fit over 10 seconds of sitting he deserves to experience the inconvenience of an employee taking a break in the middle of the shift.
So is it 4 months or 1 year? That's the only question I asked you, all the other stuff was advice to you so you don't get frustrated with how UPS works. I've only been here 30 years but hey what do I know. We call it flying under the radar.

jaker

trolling
and I'll bet when I send in my application to become a PT sup my refusal to brownnose will be the sole reason why it is rejected.
I all read was this , even after you see what it means to be a sup you are still going to do it

Well if that is the case then this whole thread is pointless , no use to complaining when you are deciding to become one

drazzy93

I all read was this , even after you see what it means to be a sup you are still going to do it

Well if that is the case then this whole thread is pointless , no use to complaining when you are deciding to become one

I said already that the only reason I would consider it is because I'm pretty much on the verge of going homeless right now, and I've tried applying for second jobs but it seems like there are no other prospects. I don't really see myself making a career out of UPS.

drazzy93

He means show up at your scheduled start time and limit your work activity to your assigned duties only.

It IS my scheduled time. You have to understand that we typically start working at 1 or 2pm but our contract says 4pm. That is the scheduled time offered for EVERYONE who wants the extra money, but most can't make it. I am usually the only package handler who can show up at that hour. The others probably can't because of their second jobs or something but of course I'm over here with no life so I show up as often as possible because I need the money.

I'm not doing it to be the bestest employee or anything. I've been here long enough to know that the only time your behavior matters at UPS is when you're pissing off the FT supervisor. Then everyone stops and drops, and PT supervisors place the blame on to you immediately. I don't know if the PT supervisor was just in a bad mood because of peak season, they were being a huge bitch all day which is unusual, but at this point I'm over it.

I was trying to at least make the time I spent there enjoyable, but I give up on that now. The FT supervisor is always going to make everything unpleasant. I just don't get why almost ALL FT supervisors suck. There is only one FT supervisor at my facility who I actually like, and she's a really really really sweet person. A far cry from the FT sup of my department.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I refuse to bow to anyone...FT supervisor or not. Drazzy, I say stick to your guns - be polite but fair. Nearly everyone in lower management and worse supervisor roles, are having bad days/nights at this point. Everyone handles pressure differently. This is definitely one of the worst peaks I can remember, it's my 15th. It's just another peak, first ever peak for UPS!

drazzy93

Maybe lean on something instead of sitting down.

That does NOT work. I tried that but the pain was in my knees and I needed to get the weight off it. The fact is that I am bending over, getting on my knees, standing back up, running from one side to the other all in a span of 10 seconds. It takes a huge toll on your knees when you're getting on your knees and getting back up constantly.