Peak Season

AB831

If the Guard is there under a federal emergency powers declaration they'll just have to.......eat it and smile.
I feel like if the National Guard is federalized, they’ll probably have bigger responsibilities than delivering Christmas cards and Penny Savers

bacha29

I feel like if the National Guard is federalized, they’ll probably have bigger responsibilities than delivering Christmas cards and Penny Savers
Good point and do not rule out an economically insolvent USPS come peak season which would likely require extraordinary measures. An emergency federal bailout and the use of federalized NG personnel would seem a good place to start.

Serf

The virus isn't over in NC.
Yesterday at 5pm, it became mandatory for everyone to wear those stupid masks while out in public or if you're unable to maintain the mythical 6ft of distance.
In the Northeast we’ve been under commie lockdown for so long. Maybe it’s a good thing we didn’t open up so soon.

MassWineGuy

I haven’t seen or heard anything about making preparations or hiring, so is anyone else tight in the loins about it or am I just a nervous nelly?

Like many things FedEx addresses, I expect no action until they are forced to confront it. Maybe there will be a slight lull in late summer. But otherwise, I can’t see why buying habits and volume would change very much. Especially when Covid season 2 kicks in. Around mid September is when I believe peak will start. From there, volume will be a total nightmare.

Not that I’m going to volunteer for it, but FedEx should consider adding a night shift to deliver P2 freight. And pay an hourly premium in addition to straight time. That would take some pressure off the day side.

bacha29

Like many things FedEx addresses, I expect no action until they are forced to confront it. Maybe there will be a slight lull in late summer. But otherwise, I can’t see why buying habits and volume would change very much. Especially when Covid season 2 kicks in. Around mid September is when I believe peak will start. From there, volume will be a total nightmare.

Not that I’m going to volunteer for it, but FedEx should consider adding a night shift to deliver P2 freight. And pay an hourly premium in addition to straight time. That would take some pressure off the day side.
It's a management theory they teach at the academy. It's called "Desperation Management". When a given situation or crisis gets desperate enough they do something about it. Just how bad a situation has to get before "Desperation Management " protocols are implemented.....you have to ask Dano about that. After all desperation is what motivated him to go literally crawling back to Fat Freddy.

And under the terms of his reinstatement Freddy Freddy makes Dano teach a class in "Desperation Management" at least once a year.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Like many things FedEx addresses, I expect no action until they are forced to confront it.

It doesn't really make much sense to take action for December volume when we're not even in July and a hundred different other things will happen between now and then.

AB831

It doesn't really make much sense to take action for December volume when we're not even in July and a hundred different other things will happen between now and then.
This is the exact time they should be preparing for Christmas season. If the coronavirus surges again in the late fall like many are predicting, the amount of online shopping before Christmas will yield volume heavier than any station is equipped to handle. Now is definitely the time.

MassWineGuy

I mainly agree with this and think it is early. But not too early for thinking of different scenarios and how to handle them. I can’t imagine peak not being crazier than usual.

It will be fine

I mainly agree with this and think it is early. But not too early for thinking of different scenarios and how to handle them. I can’t imagine peak not being crazier than usual.
It’s not too early to be planning for peak. It’s nearly impossible to buy trucks right now. New ones are at least 3 months out. I’ve been waiting weeks to get used ones off a lot because they are so busy. There won’t be any rentals available after August. If you aren’t planning now you’re going to have a rough time.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You definitely have the FedEx Reactive Gene. Can't be proactive until it's too late, amirite?

bacha29

It’s not too early to be planning for peak. It’s nearly impossible to buy trucks right now. New ones are at least 3 months out. I’ve been waiting weeks to get used ones off a lot because they are so busy. There won’t be any rentals available after August. If you aren’t planning now you’re going to have a rough time.
Ground terminal managers generally start setting up their peak season projections right around early July. They never miss because if they do it automatically becomes a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution . It's one of the reasons why TM's love contractors because they're just like Dano's mom They come tagging along behind picking up after them.

59 Dano

You definitely have the FedEx Reactive Gene. Can't be proactive until it's too late, amirite?

The initial issue is sort capacity at hubs and ramps, which is ongoing. The rest they make up mainly from using rentals. What that won't cover, they cover with temps and casuals who use their own cars.

Don't know what you think Express should be doing now for something that won't happen for 5 months and doesn't need a long term commitment.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The initial issue is sort capacity at hubs and ramps, which is ongoing. The rest they make up mainly from using rentals. What that won't cover, they cover with temps and casuals who use their own cars.

Don't know what you think Express should be doing now for something that won't happen for 5 months and doesn't need a long term commitment.
Every year for several years past our station waited until it was too late to lock in any/sufficient rental trucks. They were forced into utilizing SUV's and station wagons. I realize that it's impossible for management to know when Christmas/Peak will arrive, but this is an example of proactive behavior that is scarce at FedEx.

59 Dano

Every year for several years past our station waited until it was too late to lock in any/sufficient rental trucks. They were forced into utilizing SUV's and station wagons. I realize that it's impossible for management to know when Christmas/Peak will arrive, but this is an example of proactive behavior that is scarce at FedEx.

Oh, the horror of delivering resi packages out of SUVs.

AB831

You would be the perfect FedEx manager. You’re obtuse and reactive. You’re missing your calling.