Penalty Overtime

Seymour Packages

I was talking to a USPS guy on my route today and he informed me of something they have called Penalty Overtime. After 8 hours of work in a day, they get time and half. After 10 hours of work in a day (minus a lunch), USPS employees are compensated at double time. While it would be extremely tough, do you guys think we could potentially negotiate for something similar? I understand that we don't pay a dime for benefits, make more money overall, better pension, etc. But I also understand that this company is only becoming more profitable. It's been peak at my building since 2019. The stock price has almost tripled since 2020. Carol is out for blood this next contract. Wages will stagnate, and if our union lays down again, there will be many more concessions. If we could negotiate double time after 10 hours, how quickly would these penny pinching scumbags hire more people to properly staff the operation? Just an early Saturday morning rant. What do you guys think?

Porknado

I’d vote for it. Seems like a solid idea though I expect UPS would just pay the money and not really attempt to staff up. Good luck getting it anywhere near a bargaining table though.

JustDeliverIt

I know I've mentioned this before but I'll put it out there on this thread as well. The only way for this company to properly staff and get hours down for any employee is to have H&W contributions paid for all time worked. Right now, they stop after 40 hours. OT is cheaper. While DT after 9.5, 10 hours or whatever number is agreed upon (which would probably never happen without some new 22.5 driver that pays the company for the opportunity to get a foot in the door) would be nice, would still be cheaper for the company.

Getting contributions for all time worked would be the only way IMO to make them do it. It would also help secure a lot of those struggling pensions out there which is why I'm surprised the IBT has never made a push for it before. If they have and I'm not aware I apologize but I have never heard that it was on the table

Over70irregs

Just file 9.5 for hours worked. It pays nicely. Problem solved. Use proceeds to fund your own “private pension”, it’s called creative finance.

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I was talking to a USPS guy on my route today and he informed me of something they have called Penalty Overtime. After 8 hours of work in a day, they get time and half. After 10 hours of work in a day (minus a lunch), USPS employees are compensated at double time. While it would be extremely tough, do you guys think we could potentially negotiate for something similar? I understand that we don't pay a dime for benefits, make more money overall, better pension, etc. But I also understand that this company is only becoming more profitable. It's been peak at my building since 2019. The stock price has almost tripled since 2020. Carol is out for blood this next contract. Wages will stagnate, and if our union lays down again, there will be many more concessions. If we could negotiate double time after 10 hours, how quickly would these penny pinching scumbags hire more people to properly staff the operation? Just an early Saturday morning rant. What do you guys think?

"Carol is out for blood this next contract"...:fantasysmiley:

"Wages will stagnate, and if our union lays down again, there will be many more concessions (22.4's).."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: ...:nervoussmiley::beafraid::bsbullf:

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Your friend is not completely incorrect...

But he does have his information exaggerated a bit.

reginald95

I would be down with double or even triple time for a forced 6th punch at least. I know some locals have double time but that’s not the case all throughout the country.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Isn’t over 9.5 paid at triple time?