Pension Questions-Western Region

browndevil

From what I understand, you should retire immediately PRIOR to the 1st of a month. That way you only miss a day or two before pension income kicks in on the 1st. If you retire, say on the 2nd or 3rd of any month, you will wait until the 1st of the next month to start collecting.

However, your response sings the same tune as IESucks, that all PTO must be resolved before receiving pension benefits.
You are correct sir. But please don't any advice from internet schmucks like me before checking with your Pension office.

browndevil

They owe you for all accrued vacation time, regardless of when you take it. So yes, you can retire on December 1st and you will technically still be on the payroll until your time is used up.
I know you and I are under the same WCTPP. I've heard of members doing that in the past. Seems the local pension rep out here in NorCal says they are cracking down on the "double dipping." The last two guys in my center to retire needed to use up all personal time before the first pension check arrived

IESucks

Ok....go on. Tell us how it works.
Ok....go on. Tell us how it works.
please ask a specific question. First of all you cannot take vacation pay after your retirement date. However like I said you will have a check for any accrued vacation time once ups processes your application to retire. If you retire after the first of any month you wait till the first of next month for pension check provided you fill out you application correct. It takes about a month for insurance to start but everything is retroactive back to the first if claims are denied during that time

I GOT ONE MORE

Pretty sure your vacations would just be cashed out. You might stay on the books for health insurance purposes, but you don't get paid holiday pay if you don't actually work the week of the holiday.
You are likely correct on the cash out. Health insurance will 'clearly' transfer from active to retiree status (which is a pretty lousy deal compared to an active employee, but all ya' all will find that out when you age and then retire). The holiday pay statement is not true....at all. For example, I've taken the week of Thanksgiving for vacation for years. Never 'worked' a day of that week. For years, UPS has paid me Thursday and Friday holiday pay, in addition to my vac pay. So you should realize that part is incorrect.

I GOT ONE MORE

please ask a specific question. First of all you cannot take vacation pay after your retirement date. However like I said you will have a check for any accrued vacation time once ups processes your application to retire. If you retire after the first of any month you wait till the first of next month for pension check provided you fill out you application correct. It takes about a month for insurance to start but everything is retroactive back to the first if claims are denied during that time
OK, cool. Thanks.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You are likely correct on the cash out. Health insurance will 'clearly' transfer from active to retiree status (which is a pretty lousy deal compared to an active employee, but all ya' all will find that out when you age and then retire). The holiday pay statement is not true....at all. For example, I've taken the week of Thanksgiving for vacation for years. Never 'worked' a day of that week. For years, UPS has paid me Thursday and Friday holiday pay, in addition to my vac pay. So you should realize that part is incorrect.

Maybe it's different for your rider, or maybe I'm mistaken about how the rule applies to vacation time. But the rule where I'm at is that you have to work the day before or the day after a holiday to get the holiday pay.

IESucks

Maybe it's different for your rider, or maybe I'm mistaken about how the rule applies to vacation time. But the rule where I'm at is that you have to work the day before or the day after a holiday to get the holiday pay.
Yes, unless its a vacation week

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yes, unless its a vacation week

Like I said, I may have been mistaken on that aspect. I've never been able to get a holiday week for vacation, so I haven't had experience. One day I'll stop falling in the "it's different where I'm at" trap, and just learn to keep my mouth shut.

I GOT ONE MORE

Like I said, I may have been mistaken on that aspect. I've never been able to get a holiday week for vacation, so I haven't had experience. One day I'll stop falling in the "it's different where I'm at" trap, and just learn to keep my mouth shut.
Ok, got it. Some of us have been around the block......a few times. So, experience is priceless to pay forward. Pay attention and respect elders. But, do not ever keep your mouth shut, speak up, ask questions, be unafraid. This is how we grow and learn. I'm serious, I've raised my kids this way. But now I go off topic........

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ok, got it. Some of us have been around the block......a few times. So, experience is priceless to pay forward. Pay attention and respect elders. But, do not ever keep your mouth shut, speak up, ask questions, be unafraid. This is how we grow and learn. I'm serious, I've raised my kids this way. But now I go off topic........

I don't have any problem being wrong, I understand it's a good avenue to the truth. I just keep speaking up about regional issues as if they are the same everywhere, when I know they aren't.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Ok, I'm not going to quote or reply to all of the individual posts in this thread, some of which have incorrect information. I will just let you know how my retirement in the WCT/NorCal this past April went.

When you fill out your retirement packet, you get to choose your ACTUAL retirement date, and the last day you plan to work. If you don't need the hours towards the year for your Peer80, you can pick Dec. 1 as your last date of work, and put down your retirement date as Jan 15(estimate based on 6 weeks vacation). Obviously you won't need the hours since it's the end of the year. The packet then asks what fills that time, you write vacation. Your first pension check would arrive Dec. 1. This is double dipping, and nobody discouraged it, in fact they suggested it. You can also use remaining sick time to extend it further. All of this basically just extends your medical benefits. If done this way, the company has no choice but to give you these vacations, either way you're leaving Dec. 1. They have no say in the matter, you're not asking them, you're telling them...very liberating! If they said no, you're still leaving Dec.1, and getting vacation checks, no real difference.

You will be paid for any holidays that occur during that stretch. You are also accruing more vacation and sick time during those weeks. After about 3-4 months, I received a live check (not direct deposit) via NDA. It was for all remaining time you have on their books. Remember, all vacations you took this year were earned last year, so if you leave in Dec. there will be a full years worth of vacation still on the books. Same idea for sick days, and floating holidays.

Of course you could also use those vacation weeks to leave earlier then your Dec. 1 date. Then you'd be subject to vacation availability based on seniority, etc. I figured a nice 7 weeks of double dipping was a great retirement present to myself.

Sorry it's so long, tough to sum all that up in a few words. I think I hit all the points, but if I missed anything, or you have other questions, just ask.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We time vacations to end right before the first pension check is mailed. Technically, you are still employed while on vacation.

rocket man

Planning my departure from UPS and getting information from multiple sources. Can't hurt to ask here too.

I know I must choose one of 12 dates to be my pension effective date......any 1st of the month.

Many choose to follow this date with whatever vacation time still left on the books, thus receiving their 1st pension check followed by weeks of vacation pay.

What if I selected Dec 1 as my date followed by 6 weeks of vacation pay, wouldn't I still be considered on the books and benefit from UPS holiday pay over Xmas and New Year?

If not, it's still uplifting to wave bye-bye just before peak !!!
why are you asking on this you dont no what to do after all this time? Ask 150000 who didnt vote

I GOT ONE MORE

Ok, I'm not going to quote or reply to all of the individual posts in this thread, some of which have incorrect information. I will just let you know how my retirement in the WCT/NorCal this past April went.

When you fill out your retirement packet, you get to choose your ACTUAL retirement date, and the last day you plan to work. If you don't need the hours towards the year for your Peer80, you can pick Dec. 1 as your last date of work, and put down your retirement date as Jan 15(estimate based on 6 weeks vacation). Obviously you won't need the hours since it's the end of the year. The packet then asks what fills that time, you write vacation. Your first pension check would arrive Dec. 1. This is double dipping, and nobody discouraged it, in fact they suggested it. You can also use remaining sick time to extend it further. All of this basically just extends your medical benefits. If done this way, the company has no choice but to give you these vacations, either way you're leaving Dec. 1. They have no say in the matter, you're not asking them, you're telling them...very liberating! If they said no, you're still leaving Dec.1, and getting vacation checks, no real difference.

You will be paid for any holidays that occur during that stretch. You are also accruing more vacation and sick time during those weeks. After about 3-4 months, I received a live check (not direct deposit) via NDA. It was for all remaining time you have on their books. Remember, all vacations you took this year were earned last year, so if you leave in Dec. there will be a full years worth of vacation still on the books. Same idea for sick days, and floating holidays.

Of course you could also use those vacation weeks to leave earlier then your Dec. 1 date. Then you'd be subject to vacation availability based on seniority, etc. I figured a nice 7 weeks of double dipping was a great retirement present to myself.

Sorry it's so long, tough to sum all that up in a few words. I think I hit all the points, but if I missed anything, or you have other questions, just ask.

Pretty sure I got what you are saying.......the last day worked (Dec 1)would not be your pension effective date though .....in your scenario, it would have to be Feb 1. Interesting .

I GOT ONE MORE

Ok, another question. Once retiring, I will have the privilege of paying $300 per month for health insurance, plus a $400 annual deductible after which insurance pays at an 80/20 split until $1000 out of pocket is reached. Then it's at 100%. So my math says retiree insurance costs 5k a year.
This insurance takes a 2nd position behind Medicare at 65.
The question.....will I still be paying 5k yearly for this back up insurance at 65?

Medicare costs a similar amount. It's not free.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Ok, another question. Once retiring, I will have the privilege of paying $300 per month for health insurance, plus a $400 annual deductible after which insurance pays at an 80/20 split until $1000 out of pocket is reached. Then it's at 100%. So my math says retiree insurance costs 5k a year.
The question.....will I still be paying 5k yearly for this back up insurance at 65?

If your plan is like mine your insurance will become a Medicare supplement at 65 at a reduced cost. My insurance is 615 a month with larger deductibles than yours.

IESucks

Wow, they continue your insurance after 65 as secondary? That's great. Doesn't happen here. A quick call to your insurance comp should answer your question.