Picked for Feeders, 27 years in PC, what's next ?

tdgolf

Read several posts and weighed all the issues and Im ready to move on to feeders. I am here to ask for help. I am in Texas and was told I needed to get my CDL. This just happened couple of days ago and supposedly the process goes quickly. I downloaded the CDL application and started filling it out. Not sure what Im applying for. Class A is a given, but what about endorsements, CPL ? Instrastate or interstate. Haven't talked to anyone other than my Sup. and he's not sure. Any advice on what to concentrate on, (rules and regulation wise) ? I hope I can get some insight for y'all. Apparently all this is happening in April, but Im not wasting any time. Looking forward to hearing back.

union4life

Interstate
Doubles and Triples
Air Brakes
Combination Vehicles

Think that's all.
This is what you need.

Go to the DPS and tell them you want to get your CDL permit.

Pay the associated fee and take the written tests. When you pass them all, you are ready for the UPS Feeder class.

Good luck. I'm in Texas as well and just did the same thing. 26 years with the company and started in Feeders last year.

Shiftless

Read several posts and weighed all the issues and Im ready to move on to feeders. I am here to ask for help. I am in Texas and was told I needed to get my CDL. This just happened couple of days ago and supposedly the process goes quickly. I downloaded the CDL application and started filling it out. Not sure what Im applying for. Class A is a given, but what about endorsements, CPL ? Instrastate or interstate. Haven't talked to anyone other than my Sup. and he's not sure. Any advice on what to concentrate on, (rules and regulation wise) ? I hope I can get some insight for y'all. Apparently all this is happening in April, but Im not wasting any time. Looking forward to hearing back.

Next you say?

I was in feeder as long as you were in pkg car before I retired almost 12 years ago. I only say this because I was offered free advice (see below) when I went into Feeder back in the 70's. So not to change the subject but, you should weigh in on your decision to going into Feeder by talking to current Feeder drivers. Going into Feeder is way more than how you learn and get tested and approved for duty. If you are getting out of PC for a reason? You know, sore this sore that, Tired of the BS, don't think you can make it to retirement if you don't move on? There are other sides of Feeder that usually mean working nights, Swing, Into and Out of Weekends, fun crazy shifts!

My advice or Dos Centavo's! Its Freeeee or Worthless you decide! Just in case no one told you?

This transfer to Feeder effects more than just you. Your Significant other, Family, even your Pet's! I enjoyed most of it but not all of it. I say this as many drivers who crossed over to the dark side (yup you are gonna work nights) have adjustments to make. I saw many who crossed over early and later in their career's who had real world struggles with Sleep, Spouse, Kid's, Pets AND Even the Friggin Doorbell! Then you come to terms with your natural body function called "Circadian Rythm" and trust me, your body will talk to you about lack of sleep. Some more than other's! Then you have to convince everyone else that Feeder is a GREAT lifestyle/living! Not an easy thing to do. Make sure you talk to your Family and Evaluate their input before you leap! Saw many guys loose their families and really spiral in to grumpy MFer's. ME? I made the best of it and was lucky enough to have a wife who helped me make lemonade out of the lemon part. Its actually a fun job and virtually stress free if you let it.

Bottom line! Have a real heart to heart talk with your significant other and those directly involved will be one of the first things you should get settled with before you leap.

Told ya, 2 cents!

OH your also gonna get FAT!

union4life

Next you say?

I was in feeder as long as you were in pkg car before I retired almost 12 years ago. I only say this because I was offered free advice (see below) when I went into Feeder back in the 70's. So not to change the subject but, you should weigh in on your decision to going into Feeder by talking to current Feeder drivers. Going into Feeder is way more than how you learn and get tested and approved for duty. If you are getting out of PC for a reason? You know, sore this sore that, Tired of the BS, don't think you can make it to retirement if you don't move on? There are other sides of Feeder that usually mean working nights, Swing, Into and Out of Weekends, fun crazy shifts!

My advice or Dos Centavo's! Its Freeeee or Worthless you decide! Just in case no one told you?

This transfer to Feeder effects more than just you. Your Significant other, Family, even your Pet's! I enjoyed most of it but not all of it. I say this as many drivers who crossed over to the dark side (yup you are gonna work nights) have adjustments to make. I saw many who crossed over early and later in their career's who had real world struggles with Sleep, Spouse, Kid's, Pets AND Even the Friggin Doorbell! Then you come to terms with your natural body function called "Circadian Rythm" and trust me, your body will talk to you about lack of sleep. Some more than other's! Then you have to convince everyone else that Feeder is a GREAT lifestyle/living! Not an easy thing to do. Make sure you talk to your Family and Evaluate their input before you leap! Saw many guys loose their families and really spiral in to grumpy MFer's. ME? I made the best of it and was lucky enough to have a wife who helped me make lemonade out of the lemon part. Its actually a fun job and virtually stress free if you let it.

Bottom line! Have a real heart to heart talk with your significant other and those directly involved will be one of the first things you should get settled with before you leap.

Told ya, 2 cents!

All very true.

When I went in, all the current feeder drivers talk about how great it is.

I'm sure it is for them. You should prepare yourself for the worst part of the beginning which is no scheduled start time. Being on call is rough. I HATE it. I can't stress this enough. I don't have a start time. I am at the bottom of the seniority list with no one to pass to. It SUCKS!

Just remember, it won't be that way forever.

Indecisi0n

Next you say?

Told ya, 2 cents!

Agree. My dog is why I couldn't go to feeders.

Scuba Steve

How is it that someone can sign a feeder school bid and not know what comes next???

When UPS decided to bring the airline internal from outsourcing pilots, management wanted to train PC and Feeder drivers to fly aircraft.... Seriously it was more important to have a pilot that understood the UPS system and culture rather than hire a pilot with thousands of hours of flight time in heavy jets... Could you imagine a bunch of zero time no hours new pilots flying heavy jets especially in the short amount of time it took to form UPS Airlines? So to the point, there is a lot of not knowing what comes next here.

tdgolf

"How is it that someone can sign a feeder school bid and not know what comes next???" So I've worked at an extended center for several years with no feeder options. Nadda, none. Being a feeder driver never crossed my mind cause it wasn't ever an option. So I follow my route to another larger center and the chance has arrived. Family wise, my kids are grown and gone, my wife is a workaholic and gets home late. Im tired of the PC rush, preload, sups, you name it. I want to continue working, but PC life is taking its toll on me. Being 57 I feel I can't keep the present pace and stay healthy.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I went into feeders at age 30, after 8 something years in PC. I was #2 in my PC center in seniority. I knew I was going to work nights going in. My wife worked days. We made it work to our advantage. Had a babysitter the first part of the day, when I was sleeping, then when I woke up, I'd pick the kids up, and bring them home. Wife would get home, and I'd leave for work. I also scheduled the kid's doctor visits in the afternoons so I could take care of that as well. I actually saw my kids more while in feeders than I did in PC. T-ball and little league practice was in the afternoons, and I attended all those. Secret is to go to bed as soon as you get home from work, if possible. It'll leave you more time to do stuff in the afternoons. Had a hard time sleeping during the day at first. Used blackout curtains and unplugged the phone. Left a note on the doorbell that said you had better have a very good reason to ring this bell. I got with my next door neighbor about mowing his grass during the mornings. (he is a pilot and works weird hours, but is home a lot. He compromised and I learned to sleep during the day. I worked 29 years in feeders, and it was the best decision I ever made. No way I would have lasted 38 years in PC. There were about 125 drivers in feeders when I went in, and I moved up to about #15 when I retired. It's never too late to go into feeders, IMHO. You must learn that you are no longer driving a package car. Slow down and be aware of all your surroundings. Good luck to you.

I went into feeders at age 30, after 8 something years in PC. I was #2 in my PC center in seniority. I knew I was going to work nights going in. My wife worked days. We made it work to our advantage. Had a babysitter the first part of the day, when I was sleeping, then when I woke up, I'd pick the kids up, and bring them home. Wife would get home, and I'd leave for work. I also scheduled the kid's doctor visits in the afternoons so I could take care of that as well. I actually saw my kids more while in feeders than I did in PC. T-ball and little league practice was in the afternoons, and I attended all those. Secret is to go to bed as soon as you get home from work, if possible. It'll leave you more time to do stuff in the afternoons. Had a hard time sleeping during the day at first. Used blackout curtains and unplugged the phone. Left a note on the doorbell that said you had better have a very good reason to ring this bell. I got with my next door neighbor about mowing his grass during the mornings. (he is a pilot and works weird hours, but is home a lot. He compromised and I learned to sleep during the day. I worked 29 years in feeders, and it was the best decision I ever made. No way I would have lasted 38 years in PC. There were about 125 drivers in feeders when I went in, and I moved up to about #15 when I retired. It's never too late to go into feeders, IMHO. You must learn that you are no longer driving a package car. Slow down and be aware of all your surroundings. Good luck to you.
WDFD