Please help..freaking out..husband fired for accident

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I know the def of the teir 3. Thankyou for clearing up that company policy question, as that I have not heard before.

Here, they can take you out of delivery while they investigate, but you usually have an inside job while you wait. The only exception would be if it was grossly your fault.

HAve seen teir 3's fired on the day of the accident, that night, they were called, told it would be a three day suspension, but after peak, so they were driving the next day. Two that way in the same day that happened within 10 minutes of each other. Happened on peak day. You talk about stressed out management. Everybody is on road already, and then you have this right out of the box on peak day.

Anyway, will be interesting to see how this one plays out. Its the companies move, we can only react to what they do or dont do.

d

HazMatMan

Not sarcasm. when you approach an intersection you make sure the other guy is stopping before you enter the intersection. Unless the guy does a stop and go you can tell whether he is stopping or not.

Your not kidding?? Am I to wait to see if the guy stops or not?? At a stop sign???

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Well, either this was another hoax, or they didnt think it important enough to post the results.

I figure a 3-5 day suspension, and back to work as usual.

Funny though how its not important to update what went on this AM?

d

thank you for your replies so far. no facts left out, that's just how it happened. no urine test so far, but he will be clean...everything in his life is clean. he has never tried a drug. the supervisor fired him as soon as he pulled up to the accident. without even knowing if there would be a tow or not. two years ago my husband got hit head on (not at work) and needed some time off here and there for surgery and had to take fmla. ever since then they have been targeting him and he is part of a small group of guys that are always getting harrassed. i read the contract yesterday. on page 25 it reads exactly like this:

except for serious accidents where the driver may be presumed to be at fault, a driver will not be removed from the payroll during an investigation of the accident.

A serious accident is defined as one in which:

fatality, or;

#3 a citation is issued and one or more motor vehicles incur disabling damage as a result of the accident requiring a vehicle to be transported away from the scene by a tow truck or other vehicle.

that's where they got him. but nobody saw the tow and the police marked in his report that the driver refused a tow. my husbands supervisor said that after everyone left the scene the driver called for a tow. we don't believe him and hopefull the union is looking into it.

it really was that small of an accident. i'm at a loss for words.

dont worry he will get his job back, my old center manager had 4 accidents all his fault, now he is a center manager, maybe your hub will be ask to management.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Brian

What is your experience with hearings in matters such as this?

There is every bit a reason to worry. Only the possible screw ups might pull it out.

d

upsrwife

ok, you don't have to get mad with me, i had dr's appointments all day and i have been laying down. jeez

well. he turned it in to the steward thismorning and then the local union head called us. he wanted us to re write it to add/chnge some things.

after speaking to him, there are some mistakes/half truthes in the ups supervisors stories and the union rep feels good about the whole thing because of it. i can't really elaborate as who knows what center manager's are on here. but needless to say, i was floored when I heard the fiction they came up with to fire him. i just hope he is successfull in getting his job back. luckily, the union people are on top of it.

tomorrow we are going to my lawyer to try to fight the ticket and hopefully get it reduced. i'm hoping I can get it reduced to failure to yield instead of careless, but we will see. i do have a great traffic lawyer.

whether we get the ticket reduced or not, the union feels confident. i will be able to tell you more after the hearing, which they are trying to get for the 14th.

thanks again.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
when you approach an intersection you make sure the other guy is stopping before you enter the intersection. Unless the guy does a stop and go you can tell whether he is stopping or not.

Agreed for the most part. Although, sometimes its hard to tell if a car is going to stop. Most of those are the bigger vehicles (SUV's, etc).

I haven't driven in 3 years and have never driven a commercial vehicle. That having been said, when I approached an intersection with a yield or stop sign, I would completely stop to see what the other guy was going to do. My father drives 30K+ miles a year for work and once asked me why I did that. I told him, "Do you want to get the call that I've been involved in an accident because I took it on faith that the other guy would stop?" He grunted and said, "Good point. No, I don't. Better safe than sorry." My two cents. -Rocky

wrenny

Getting rid of a top rate driver for a 20 something young kid or whatever numbers runner, you want to call it, is a 20-40k/year savings prospect, mulitply that by 500 or 1000 or whatever number you choose nationally, you end up in the one hundred million PER YEAR ballpark. I'll glady break down the math for you, Tieguy, after I go grocery shopping this evening. so to tell me again I'm rediculous for bringing this up... :)

I'm sorry for the borderline OT, although it MAY apply deep-down in some way..

Unfortunately, I have to say that you are right. I've worked for UPS and
Fed Ex Ground. I have worked as a Building Manager. There are some Supv. and Managers that don't see the big picture. They want to make their DashBoard numbers for the week and avoid getting screamed at in conference calls every day.
Some Managers are insecure and don't trust the big picture in the end -the end of the year. They focus on the day and the year and try to cut costs after getting screamed at in a meeting on the topic of the day. I've had open positions and I've had times of filled positions. I've always saved costs in years in which I have had the lowest turnover and fully filled positions. Some managers don't believe in themselves or their people enough to ignore the conference call rants.
I've always gone against cutting driver pay blindly and wildly. Because you usually suffer in service if you don't have everything planned out for a smooth consolidation of routes. There is a strong push from the top to cut driver pay. And it's always going to be a trade off between DP and service. In an IC model you can let a route disappear and save by not replacing it and doing a re-route amongst the closest IC's. I've usually avoided firing people. When a route becomes open at $65,000.00 you usually cut it in half and parcel it out to the remaining IC's. But in the employee model, you have to go by the contract most of the time, give it to a newcomer or push for route consolidation. A big interview question for Building Managers is their DP and what have they did to reduce it. DP is a very hot button. The best Building Managers keep DP in line without destroying Service or their building. I had a chance to cut my DP by an extra 10%, but I refused, because I already made my goal for the year. (I don't care about bonus's you get for reducing DP costs). Most Managers are stupid and go for broke, and then they find out that now upper management has raised their DP goals. If your DP goal is to reduce DP by 5% for the year, never do it by 20%, because next year your goal will be 25% and you will have no Service or building left to manage.
And believe me when I say that I DO NOT CARE ABOUT MY DP REDUCTION BONUS!! I WILLINGLY GAVE UP AN EXTRA $7,000.00 IN A BONUS FOR THE YEAR BECAUSE I REFUSED TO DESTROY MY BUILDING AND RIDE MY PEOPLE. I got that money back tenfold in shorter work hours, never having to be called at home, excellent service numbers, no managers out delivering or training and never having to worry about any routes... they were fully staffed and ran themselves.

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
I was pretty sure it had been resolved.

It was, clicky.

For forum noobs, you can click on anyone's profile and click a link, "show all posts". Very handy for finding threads that you know someone commented on, but cannot find the actual thread.

ibt

It's not the supervisor that fired him they call labor and they make the call.I have seen lots of these at panel hearings.First his story better never change if I think he's lying he's gone,they will wont to see he gets how serious this is ex guy on motorcycle he's dead right now.Keeping that in mind I'd give him another chance with suspension. Forget that accident was so minor he pulled out in front of someone very serious . If he came in saying this is minor what's the big deal he can start looking for a new job