Possible career change

W

What The Hawk?

Was it one of the old stick shift no power steering Iron Monsters?
Lol yes..The sup had me get into 3 different trucks..before testing. One had the gears upside down. The other had an E break issue. I wasn't meant to pass. I just wanted to do it to get it over with. I'm ok with failing.

JustAnotherMike

"The best short-cut is to take the long way."
Lol yes..The sup had me get into 3 different trucks..before testing. One had the gears upside down. The other had an E break issue. I wasn't meant to pass. I just wanted to do it to get it over with. I'm ok with failing.
gears cannot be "upside down" . mine didn't have #'s ...if you know how to drive manual this isn't an issue .. . . .

W

What The Hawk?

Anywhoozle, go for it if you want to. It's a great career from what I've been told. Some can't handle the stress like my friend Scooter, and others love it like my neighbor.

oldngray

nowhere special
gears cannot be "upside down" . mine didn't have #'s ...if you know how to drive manual this isn't an issue .. . . .

Agreed the shifter knob can get turned around but those old trucks had many different gear patterns and it was a pain to get a truck that was different from what you were used to. Most didn't say on the gear knob so you had to feel your way around for a few minutes to figure it out.

JustAnotherMike

I was qualified. Just extremely nervous. I spent $300 to learn manual so that I COULD be a driver..
you paid $300 to learn manual ? another reason why you failed. its sad that people get the impression that the sup "wanted" to fail you. its obvious you weren't ready. not trying to speak down to you but common now ....

you could've paid me $250

JustAnotherMike

I also didn't know the gears in a truck would be opposite as a standard manual. Whereas the R is where the 1 is and so forth.
yeah but you can take off in 2 .. which in your head should've been the new "1" ... teach yourself manual with a beat up car for a year or so and try again . practice practice practice

W

What The Hawk?

you paid $300 to learn manual ? another reason why you failed. its sad that people get the impression that the sup "wanted" to fail you. its obvious you weren't ready. not trying to speak down to you but common now ....

you could've paid me $250
How else was I supposed to learn how to drive a manual, nobody I know had a manual for me to learn on!

W

What The Hawk?

yeah but you can take off in 2 .. which in your head should've been the new "1" ... teach yourself manual with a beat up car for a year or so and try again . practice practice practice
You cannot take off in gear two on a test. That is what the supervisor told me. He was a very nice guy but he was not paying attention. I was also extremely nervous because I had never driven a truck that size before. He said I was swerving which looking back I can see that I was swerving a little bit. If I feel like going for it again I will. But right now I'm looking at my other options.