Postal worker dies from being mauled by 5 dogs

Mutineer

I won’t use dogs if I go. My son has an Aussie , sweet girl.
Most Aussies can be a pain in the butt if they don't have anything to do. Mine was inexhaustible. He was a very intelligent instinctive hunter. It required absolutely no training for that task. Whether it was quail, doves, rabbits, deer, or pigs, It ALWAYS somehow knew exactly what my dad was hunting, and acted accordingly.
That’s what I was thinking, what the hell is it doing chasing pigs?
Pretty much all dogs will chase and hunt pigs. Some are more useful than others. My dad and uncle were indiscriminate as to what breed was used. For years, my uncle's "nose dog" for hunting pigs was a black/gray female mixed-breed terrier mutt thingy no more than twenty lbs. That little dog had no fear about latching onto a pig with the big dogs.

The difference is that he treated the nose dog as non-disposable. So after the other dogs were savvy to the pig scent, he would try and catch her and chain her in the back of a truck or tie her to a tree.

Sometimes he was unable to catch her before the pig was chased down. While the other dogs were swarming a pig, she would latch onto a hind leg and get flopped around like a piece of rope.

oldngray

nowhere special
Most Aussies can be a pain in the butt if they don't have anything to do. Mine was inexhaustible. He was a very intelligent instinctive hunter. It required absolutely no training for that task. Whether it was quail, doves, rabbits, deer, or pigs, It ALWAYS somehow knew exactly what my dad was hunting, and acted accordingly.

Pretty much all dogs will chase and hunt pigs. Some are more useful than others. My dad and uncle were indiscriminate as to what breed was used. For years, my uncle's "nose dog" for hunting pigs was a black/gray female mixed-breed terrier mutt thingy no more than twenty lbs. That little dog had no fear about latching onto a pig with the big dogs.

The difference is that he treated the nose dog as non-disposable. So after the other dogs were savvy to the pig scent, he would try and catch her and chain her in the back of a truck or tie her to a tree.

Sometimes he was unable to catch her before the pig was chased down. While the other dogs were swarming a pig, she would latch onto a hind leg and get flopped around like a piece of rope.
I had an Irish Setter that was dumber than dirt but the hunting dog instincts hadn't been bred out of her. I wouldn't trust her to keep her short attention span to actually hunt but you could tell by watching her she still did have a remnant of a real dog in there somewhere. Super friendly to everyone she met too.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I had an Irish Setter that was dumber than dirt but the hunting dog instincts hadn't been bred out of her. I wouldn't trust her to keep her short attention span to actually hunt but you could tell by watching her she still did have a remnant of a real dog in there somewhere. Super friendly to everyone she met too.
They’re goofy dogs, very happy

Mutineer

My impression of bird dogs is that they seem kinda' dumb, and suffer terribly from abandonment issues.

I have no doubt that if your Irish Setter got thrown into a pig hunt with a bunch of other dogs, It would readily participate and probably impress you.

UnionStrong

My impression of bird dogs is that they seem kinda' dumb, and suffer terribly from abandonment issues.

I have no doubt that if your Irish Setter got thrown into a pig hunt with a bunch of other dogs, It would readily participate and probably impress you.
I had a yellow lab that was smarter than most kids today.

UnionStrong

Probably wouldn’t last long.

Mutineer

Probably wouldn’t last long.
Maybe not. But it absolutely would participate, and endeavor to get it's teeth on a pig.

Those are the only qualifications for a useful "pig dog."

I have no memory of any dog dropped into the mix that would not participate.

UnionStrong

Maybe not. But it absolutely would participate, and endeavor to get it's teeth on a pig.

Those are the only qualifications for a useful "pig dog."

I have no memory of any dog dropped into the mix that would not participate.
You rednecks are savages. 🤣

wilberforce15

REI carries the best dog spray.
download (5).jpeg

Mutineer

You rednecks are savages. 🤣
Very many men in my family who participated in these events are/were professionals with college degrees and resources.

Myself and my dad are notable exceptions. Relatives don't say it out loud, but we're the "dumb ones" of the family.

Also, my area of California was a place where a person could wallow all day and night in deplorable redneck antics, and nobody cared.

Those days are over. These days if a person is driving and has a legally harvested deer in the bed of his truck, a hippie will get yer plate and report it. Cops and a game warden will be awaiting your arrival at your house.

This has been demonstrated.

Mutineer

REI carries the best dog spray.
View attachment 397810
I have seen large vicious dogs go full tilt on a skunk. And then stop like it hit a brick wall, and roll in the dirt in pain and misery.

A skunk will drop a dog for several minutes. Immediately after it's recovery, I have seen a dog track down and pursue the same skunk again!

It would be a worthy experiment to test the REI, and a skunk, to see which works better on dogs.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I have seen large vicious dogs go full tilt on a skunk. And then stop like it hit a brick wall, and roll in the dirt in pain and misery.

A skunk will drop a dog for several minutes. Immediately after it's recovery, I have seen a dog track down and pursue the same skunk again!

It would be a worthy experiment to test the REI, and a skunk, to see which works better on dogs.
I have 2 dogs that will rip a skunk to threads and worry about it for 2 weeks afterwards.