PRAYING FOR NEGOTIATORS TO GET US A GREAT CONTRACT!!!!

Chester

And when you factor in the yearly increase in health coverage payment and pension payments do you honestly believe it has not?
Valid point here, UPS contributes approx $400 a week to our pension here, 25 years we get $2800 month, that’s a tremendously horrible return. Pension system is broken, wheels fell off years ago.

brown_trousers

Valid point here, UPS contributes approx $400 a week to our pension here, 25 years we get $2800 month, that’s a tremendously horrible return. Pension system is broken, wheels fell off years ago.

Thats only the tip of the iceberg, factor in all the money from part-timers who dont stay long enough to become vested. retirement should have a lot more funding than just $2800 month

upschuck

That's why a lot of people here want them to put that money into their 401k, helps all parties involved.

Chester

I'm mixed, my pension is almost 100% funded, and 40%.
Ours is close to 90% but last contract they raised retirement age to 52(for insurance) and we’re afraid they’ll raise it to 54 this contract. I honestly don’t think I can work here 14 more years. Have to retire and get part time job just to pay for insurance.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I like your math. Hopefully you understand though, if UPS splits every route into 2-3+ routes and hires the request extra drivers and loaders to handle that it's going to likely eat up all 5b in profit, and then some.
A few routes per center would hardly eat up all 5b in profit. Most already send home 10 or more drivers a day. Some have guys on layoff.

upschuck

Ours is close to 90% but last contract they raised retirement age to 52(for insurance) and we’re afraid they’ll raise it to 54 this contract. I honestly don’t think I can work here 14 more years. Have to retire and get part time job just to pay for insurance.
I think mine is 55, or 57, can't remember.

Chester

A few routes per center would hardly eat up all 5b in profit. Most already send home 10 or more drivers a day. Some have guys on layoff.
Not here, we are short atleast 5 drivers right now, short trucks too. Maybe UPS can get refund for Orion? What was that $1 billion right?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Maybe you are right. I'm out here in the western conference and we are fortunate enough to have the strongest pension plan and management in the country. I only worked 23 years and get around 3300 a month.

I agree that the company should pay a fair share to the employees across the board. wages, health plans , pension plans, etc. When working I was never satisfied but since retiring my perspective has changed.

I'm hoping the pension plans become stronger , wages , go up , and health plans become stronger. I also understand that a huge part of this contract has to deal with part-timers, harassment , and stronger 9.5 days rules to handle the overworking problem for package drivers.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You are correct that UPS is profiting billions, and you are correct to want to fight for a fair share of UPS revenue.
Are you also aware that UPS share of the small package market continues to decline? Or that the percentage of UPS profits that comes from it's domestic small package operation likewise has declined?
Three words: Brick, Surepost, Orion.
giphy.gif

Have you ever thought our inability to incorporate smalls effectively into our operation is all about pure incompetence.

The same could be said about residential overweights.

Last edited:

DRporch

i think we all know there is no way UPS can afford to miss a week without drivers. so in reality if they dont give in and force a strike we ultimately would get what we want unless they want to not give in and lose more business then its worth

F

Frankie's Friend

Three words: Brick, Surepost, Orion.
giphy.gif

Have you ever thought our inability to incorporate smalls effectively into our operation is all about pure incompetence.

The same could be said about residential overweights.
Plus $80/pkg....possibly +$500 and then add another $175/pkg if outside the limits by an inch.

Declining pkg volume since ups freight infused into our volume pick up?
Yeah dude, @brownIEman , when Overnite (UPS Freight) was pushed during our pcms for the first time I read the article in the company magazine to the BD guy where the head dude from Overnite (scab) was saying they wanted to pick up SMALL PKG volume.
The BD guy just shook his head and walked away knowing that statement screwed his sales pitch.
@brownIEman tell the whole story and while you're at it tell everyone how much volume you give to DHL to ship for us thru their subcontracted A. Austin company in Ohio alone.

The drivers are ups to the public (I'll say it again) and if the company screws with the drivers the general public will hold it against the company.

Add to that the major volume at stake because a filthy rich company at the top of their game appears to diss the blue collar workers.

brownIEman

Plus $80/pkg....possibly +$500 and then add another $175/pkg if outside the limits by an inch.

Declining pkg volume since ups freight infused into our volume pick up?
Yeah dude, @brownIEman , when Overnite (UPS Freight) was pushed during our pcms for the first time I read the article in the company magazine to the BD guy where the head dude from Overnite (scab) was saying they wanted to pick up SMALL PKG volume.
The BD guy just shook his head and walked away knowing that statement screwed his sales pitch.
@brownIEman tell the whole story and while you're at it tell everyone how much volume you give to DHL to ship for us thru their subcontracted A. Austin company in Ohio alone.

The drivers are ups to the public (I'll say it again) and if the company screws with the drivers the general public will hold it against the company.

Add to that the major volume at stake because a filthy rich company at the top of their game appears to diss the blue collar workers.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Seeing as Overnight is now UPS freight and has been represented by the IBT for 10 years and are therefore by definition NOT scabs, strongly suggest to me you also have no idea what you are talking about.

F

Frankie's Friend

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Seeing as Overnight is now UPS freight and has been represented by the IBT for 10 years and are therefore by definition NOT scabs, strongly suggest to me you also have no idea what you are talking about.
The teamsters were Locked Out of overnight. Get the story straight.
The guy in control of Overnight was not a teamster.
Next spin.
Evidently you don't know what your talking about.

brownIEman

We
The teamsters were Locked Out of overnight. Get the story straight.
The guy in control of Overnight was not a teamster.
Next spin.
Evidently you don't know what your talking about.

Overnight was a non union shop. That's one of the reasons UPS bought them in 2005. UPS was concerned about trying to break into a new market with a high cost union operation. However, in 08 a deal was struck to unionize UPS Freight and the folks that were Overnight have been represented by the IBT since.

Are you living in the past?

F

Frankie's Friend

We

Overnight was a non union shop. That's one of the reasons UPS bought them in 2005. UPS was concerned about trying to break into a new market with a high cost union operation. However, in 08 a deal was struck to unionize UPS Freight and the folks that were Overnight have been represented by the IBT since.

Are you living in the past?

That's not my point.
Never mind.