1993 contract

Thebrownblob

Federal contractor minimum wage is $15/hr. UPS is a Federal contractor. Look it up.
Nice twist although even if that is the fact and I’m not certain that applies to UPS wages the federal minimum wage was only raised to $15 an hour in April 2021, in the middle of a contract that already guaranteed $15 an hour so what’s your point and how do you justify all the other fringe benefits and entitlements that the UPS workers get? Why didn’t Biden raise it even higher? Why aren’t you complaining about him?

PT Car Washer

Nice twist although even if that is the fact and I’m not certain that applies to UPS wages the federal minimum wage was only raised to $15 an hour in April 2021, in the middle of a contract that already guaranteed $15 an hour so what’s your point and how do you justify all the other fringe benefits and entitlements that the UPS workers get? Why didn’t Biden raise it even higher? Why aren’t you complaining about him?
The point is UPS Teamster starting wage is the Federal contactor minimum wage and lower than some states minimum wage. As far as benefits, health care (which is huge for a family man) does not start for 9 months and vacations and Holiday pay for a year. I don't believe the President can raise the minimum state wage.

Thebrownblob

The point is UPS Teamster starting wage is the Federal contactor minimum wage and lower than some states minimum wage. As far as benefits, health care (which is huge for a family man) does not start for 9 months and vacations and Holiday pay for a year. I don't believe the President can raise the minimum state wage.
No, he can raise the federal contractor minimum wage. He only raised it to 15. I don’t hear you complaining. Obviously, he cannot raise a state wage. And like I said, this contract was written in 2018 and already guaranteed $15 an hour at that time just like the next contract will guarantee 20+ dollars an hour, your argument that it’s somehow minimum wage and it was planned that way doesn’t really hold much water. The fight for 15 was pretty big in 2016 through 2018 that contract secured It, a lot has happened since then and it will get adjusted.

PT Car Washer

No, he can raise the federal contractor minimum wage. He only raised it to 15. I don’t hear you complaining. Obviously, he cannot raise a state wage. And like I said, this contract was written in 2018 and already guaranteed $15 an hour at that time just like the next contract will guarantee 20+ dollars an hour, your argument that it’s somehow minimum wage and it was planned that way doesn’t really hold much water. The fight for 15 was pretty big in 2016 through 2018 that contract secured It, a lot has happened since then and it will get adjusted.
Not saying it is a right wing conspiracy theory. Just saying the Union negotiated starting wage is barely above the Federal minimum, wage and lower than a lot of fast food starting wages. When I started a PT job at UPS was a premium job. No weekends and paid Holidays and a paid vacation after 90 days.

Thebrownblob

Not saying it is a right wing conspiracy theory. Just saying the Union negotiated starting wage is barely above the Federal minimum, wage and lower than a lot of fast food starting wages. When I started a PT job at UPS was a premium job. No weekends and paid Holidays and a paid vacation after 90 days.
Well, I think you know I agree the wage need to be higher. It would be great to go back to 1982 but I don’t think that’s going to happen. In the meantime. Part-timers will get a pretty hefty starting raise. And in five years, I’m sure will be saying the exact same thing we are now.

mikejonesjr

Pointless trying to negotiate a higher starting wage when they should be focusing on paying those who have seniority. UPS will have to raise their own starting pay if they expect to get any new hires to walk thru the door so let them worry about that. Meanwhile union needs to focus on a bump in pay for employees who aren’t new

Thebrownblob

Pointless trying to negotiate a higher starting wage when they should be focusing on paying those who have seniority. UPS will have to raise their own starting pay if they expect to get any new hires to walk thru the door so let them worry about that. Meanwhile union needs to focus on a bump in pay for employees who aren’t new
Somewhere along the way, a lot of us have forgotten the idea that none of us should be compensated more than the other for doing the same job. That’s the idea behind unions. Just like RPCDs. Go through a progression, and then everyone makes the same amount no matter how long they been here after progression. The companies done a great job of dividing us.

PT Car Washer

Somewhere along the way, a lot of us have forgotten the idea that none of us should be compensated more than the other for doing the same job. That’s the idea behind unions. Just like RPCDs. Go through a progression, and then everyone makes the same amount no matter how long they been here after progression. The companies done a great job of dividing us.
A 4 year progression is just another wage concession.

PT Car Washer

Of course it is but it’s a lot better than actual two tier wage system that never allows someone to reach the very top, rate
If I remember correctly in 1982 you started at $8/hr unless you worked the preload or were sort qualified and that paid $9/hr and you received the yearly contractual raises so after a few years you could be making the current starting wage. 40 years ago.

Trailer monkey

If I remember correctly in 1982 you started at $8/hr unless you worked the preload or were sort qualified and that paid $9/hr and you received the yearly contractual raises so after a few years you could be making the current starting wage. 40 years ago.
$8.00 inflation adjusted is $24.50

542thruNthru

He tried the same :censored2: on me and I just rolled me eyes.

Brownwind

In the late eighties minimum wage was 3.34 an hour. (Give or take a few pennies) preload was coded skilled labor at 9.00 an hour. No comparison to today. Different generation

Seriously though most of us thought we had it made making those wages. When I applied we had to wear a tie and the line was around the corner for preload. Now if you show up you have a job.

PT Car Washer

In the late eighties minimum wage was 3.34 an hour. (Give or take a few pennies) preload was coded skilled labor at 9.00 an hour. No comparison to today. Different generation

Seriously though most of us thought we had it made making those wages. When I applied we had to wear a tie and the line was around the corner for preload. Now if you show up you have a job.
PT sups wore a tie and jacket. And they never touched a package. Not just a different generation but a different Union. Can't remember the last time I saw a driver sup not wearing browns.

The Milkman

I was hired off the streets back in September of 82 Full Time Package during peak and kept after peak was over. I believe the wage was about $8.50 or so back then. And it only took 9 months to get to the top rate. Oh, how things have changed. Good old clipboard days.
UPS.jpg
UPS.jpg