Pre Load Advice

rod

Retired 22 years
Get good at handwriting in visible spots (bag corners), make use of the whole shelf front to back sliding things around like books in a bookshelf for the first few hours, that's about the only major issue I see from people (otherwise it gets really crowded in 1 spot and empty in another)
And bulk stops can get packed into the 12 shelf/floor corners of the car. This is the only time I make an exception for hin out-of-order.
The rest is learning through trial-by-error and experimenting.

In my day all that would get you is a handful of splinters from the wooden shelves. :-)

JustDeliverIt

They are so short staffed everywhere. As long as you have a pulse, your fine.

Do your best to put things in sequential order, especially your 1000 & 2000 shelves. Be safe and don't get hurt. Only way to get better is with experience.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sounds as though your drivers want a custom load. As a new loader you should follow the load chart and not worry about what the drivers may or may not want. As you become more proficient you can then work toward customizing the loads.

DRporch

I was an off the street hire as a driver. One week they didn’t have work for me and asked if I wanted to do preload at my driver wage, I agreed. By far the worst mistake I ever made. Never again did I agree to work preload

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was an off the street hire as a driver. One week they didn’t have work for me and asked if I wanted to do preload at my driver wage, I agreed. By far the worst mistake I ever made. Never again did I agree to work preload

Did they put you in the unload or did they actually have you loading package cars?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Some drivers are just permanent :censored2:s don’t worry. Just don’t misload. Don’t mix next day air. You’ll learn the trucks through and through eventually.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I am new to loading trucks. I am currently loading 4 Trucks, I was given charts to use and go by. But when the driver comes in and goes through their truck they say it's all wrong. They keep explaining to me what to do and how to load their truck. It just dont seem to be sticking with me. On top of all this it dont help that the place is getting slammed with boxes. How am I supposed to have all this time to learn the trucks with out slowing down production. I wanna do a good job but the drivers make me feel like ai am doing absolutely horrible.
Listen to the drivers, not all them follow the charts, they have certain things that go in certain places, that is it

Infamous

So an update. I had a driver Wright me 10 pages on how to load his truck. It's great that the person is helping out and all. Just a pain in the ass that Management just sits their and screams and yells at you all morning to through stuff in the back of the truck to load it. So when you get a few minutes to try and load your trucks, your tripping over boxes and have other people throughing your boxes on the floor off the belt. Then Managment on your ass again for loading your trucks because I need to be emptying the belt.

KevinWhipaloo

You have a blessing in disguise having those drivers. They're harassing you for being new. Ignore that. Instead, follow these tips:

1. Put it in the right truck
2. Put it on the right shelf
3. Listen to your supervisor

Now here's why you have a blessing in disguise having those drivers. If you follow the tips above, you can load their trucks as :censored2: as you want, but as long as you did the above, they can't do anything to harm you.

If a driver is or was an :censored2: to me, I made sure they felt it the next day, and I've yet felt any remorse about it. Soon you'll find out that UPS doesn't pay nor appreciate what preloaders do, and as long as you do the tips I said above, you can work that job for as long as you want.

Jkloc420

So an update. I had a driver Wright me 10 pages on how to load his truck. It's great that the person is helping out and all. Just a pain in the ass that Management just sits their and screams and yells at you all morning to through stuff in the back of the truck to load it. So when you get a few minutes to try and load your trucks, your tripping over boxes and have other people throughing your boxes on the floor off the belt. Then Managment on your ass again for loading your trucks because I need to be emptying the belt.
got to have a clear path

Jkloc420

You have a blessing in disguise having those drivers. They're harassing you for being new. Ignore that. Instead, follow these tips:

1. Put it in the right truck
2. Put it on the right shelf
3. Listen to your supervisor

Now here's why you have a blessing in disguise having those drivers. If you follow the tips above, you can load their trucks as :censored2: as you want, but as long as you did the above, they can't do anything to harm you.

If a driver is or was an :censored2: to me, I made sure they felt it the next day, and I've yet felt any remorse about it. Soon you'll find out that UPS doesn't pay nor appreciate what preloaders do, and as long as you do the tips I said above, you can work that job for as long as you want.
if he listens to his supervisor he is climbing over packages he just tossed into the back of the truck