Pre-load Start times

Jstpeachy

Ive only been here 5 months and am at least halfway up the building seniority list for part time if not higher, folks that started 2 months ago are already driving. Weekly multiple people quit... our building is a complete :censored2: show.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I’m not actually complaining to be fair... rather stating the facts of the job as I’ve seen it go to someone asking a question. I did check the entire southern supplement and see nothing about posted schedules as it pertains to part timers, but perhaps I overlooked it. The union is super weak in my building and the steward on preload says flat out not to file grievances basically so there’s that also lol. Gotta love Georgia, we just don’t really get the union around here. I’m relocating at the end of the year or I’d press more involvement- we pay dues there should be a rep that actually assists folks but alas this place doesn’t seem to care as a whole.

Yeah, I know you are not the one actually complaining, you just happen to be the poor victim I'm giving the answer to. Your steward sounds like a real POS but not uncommon.

Justaloader

Stop whining about it.

You carry a damn phone with a camera don't you? Take picture of the schedule before you punch out on Friday. If you can't remember to do that, then it's your problem and you obviously aren't responsible enough to even have a job.

Calm down Scooby. Can't take a picture of a schedule that isn't posted. Pre-load is, but the "evening shift" start times have always been word of mouth. Oh, and read the Union contract? You mean that thing that I had to hunt down via the internet because, despite readily taking my money to be in a union governed by it, neither the company nor the union provided to me, nor did they provide any info on where to find it? (I actually first saw it here on this website).

Oh, and there is that whole "no phones in the building" thing.........

scooby0048

Calm down Scooby. Can't take a picture of a schedule that isn't posted. Pre-load is, but the "evening shift" start times have always been word of mouth. Oh, and read the Union contract? You mean that thing that I had to hunt down via the internet because, despite readily taking my money to be in a union governed by it, neither the company nor the union provided to me, nor did they provide any info on where to find it? (I actually first saw it here on this website).

Oh, and there is that whole "no phones in the building" thing.........

Always an excuse for something. If you are big enough to get a job and not have your hand held by mommy, then you are big enough to take responsibility to figure out the means to know your schedule. I'll give you the no phones thing though, since I know some buildings like to pull that.

Word of mouth though? What if some d*head like me decides to tell you start time is an hour later, then you get in trouble for being late. Is your steward willing to defend you by word of mouth? Doubtful. Start times need to be posted, grieve that S*.

542thruNthru

Always an excuse for something. If you are big enough to get a job and not have your hand held by mommy, then you are big enough to take responsibility to figure out the means to know your schedule. I'll give you the no phones thing though, since I know some buildings like to pull that.

Word of mouth though? What if some d*head like me decides to tell you start time is an hour later, then you get in trouble for being late. Is your steward willing to defend you by word of mouth? Doubtful. Start times need to be posted, grieve that S*.

I believe he's in the Southern Region. They don't seem to have any language about posting a schedule.

I thought the Facebook thing was BS also but it seems his contract doesn't help him.

scooby0048

I believe he's in the Southern Region. They don't seem to have any language about posting a schedule.

I thought the Facebook thing was BS also but it seems his contract doesn't help him.
Yeah, it was peachy keen who was Southern. Hers does not seem to have language for schedules. The other guy (justaloader) not sure where he is from.

Justaloader

Yeah, it was peachy keen who was Southern. Hers does not seem to have language for schedules. The other guy (justaloader) not sure where he is from.

Pennsylvania. I’ve already figured out who in my building knows their ass from a hole in the ground, and who doesn’t - aka I know who to listen to. So, knowing my start time isn’t a problem.

Always an excuse? Is that the case, or are you really naive and think the “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” approach works for everyone in every situation? Mind you, I’m not making excuses. I’m merely stating the way things are. Not sure how your location is run or how you were treated as a new hire, but here in my hub - beyond being shown how to make a wall out of boxes the UPS way and signing a document that means you understand what isn’t tolerated on UPS premises (oh, and a dvd about the various hazmat labels), we weren’t told :censored2:. The only reason I know what’s in the Union contract, who my steward is, and, in a general sense - how “most” things work in my building - is because I’m a naturally inquisitive person and like to ask a lot of questions. I research things on the internet (how I found this site). Not everyone is like that. Hell every job I’ve had in my 38 years has had an employee handbook, safety manual, and other literature. You didn’t have to ask anyone anything and “hope” they weren’t a jackass that would give you wrong information. All you had to do was read and be able to understand what you were reading. UPS doesn’t provide any such documents, yet people wonder why there is so much confusion and UPS is the cluster:censored2: it is....victim of it’s own creation.

My steward? I have no idea what he will and won’t fight for. I met the guy once, for all of literally 3 minutes because he had to get back to work loading on the airwall. He may be a good guy - I don’t know. I wasn’t given the best of impressions.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

My steward? I have no idea what he will and won’t fight for. I met the guy once, for all of literally 3 minutes because he had to get back to work loading on the airwall. He may be a good guy - I don’t know. I wasn’t given the best of impressions.

Well he can't stop working to talk to you. Did you expect him to stop everything to have a conversation with you?

Justaloader

Well he can't stop working to talk to you. Did you expect him to stop everything to have a conversation with you?

When HR is introducing me to him and asking him to answer questions I have about the Union? Yes, I expect more than 3 minutes of his time. Do I expect 15 minutes? No. But a bit of professionalism? Sure. Couldn’t take 3 minutes to talk to me, yet I’m supposed to have the impression this guy is going to go to bat for me (or anyone) and see it through that we have things like schedules posted, etc? Mind if I borrow your rose colored glasses for a bit?

542thruNthru

When HR is introducing me to him and asking him to answer questions I have about the Union? Yes, I expect more than 3 minutes of his time. Do I expect 15 minutes? No. But a bit of professionalism? Sure. Couldn’t take 3 minutes to talk to me, yet I’m supposed to have the impression this guy is going to go to bat for me (or anyone) and see it through that we have things like schedules posted, etc? Mind if I borrow your rose colored glasses for a bit?

Calm down Suzy. It was just a question.
Your story had no context. I was merely asking a question.

Justaloader

Maybe asking your question in a less condescending way would have garnered a less assertive response. “Did you expect him to stop working to talk to you?” As if to say - be gone from his presence, mere peasant!

I just started working a few weeks ago and on Friday I forgot to grab the time schedule sheet for this week. How do I tel when I should go in?

Every location is different. My location prints preload start times and posts them at the log in computer on the belt. Preload turnover is horrendous so nobody really cares. It is your responsibility to remember. Take a picture or take a copy home with you. There is a preload call out number and instructions on calling in. Save the number in your phone and remember the instructions. Locations can change start times and you may not know. Unless the start time is changed 48 hours in advance it cannot be held against you. Good advice: if you're looking for opportunities beyond preload OR you just want to establish yourself as a long term preloader don't call out unless you really need to and even if you need to think twice before you dial. Sure the union says you can call out as often as you want but that doesn't prevent the company from taking action against you if you have attendance problems.

To all knowledgeable people out there. What doe`s the word consistent mean to you?

According to Article 20 start times shall be posted on the prior friday of the week for which start times shall be effective. Start times shall be CONSISTENT during the week except as provided in the provisions outlined in Article 21.

Would this be considered consistent?
4:00-4:15-4:15-4:30-4:30 this is a example of Monday-Friday workweek.
Article 21 WRSA needs to be read in order to fully understand when I ask about the meaning of consistent in Article 20.

scooby0048

To all knowledgeable people out there. What doe`s the word consistent mean to you?

According to Article 20 start times shall be posted on the prior friday of the week for which start times shall be effective. Start times shall be CONSISTENT during the week except as provided in the provisions outlined in Article 21.

Would this be considered consistent?
4:00-4:15-4:15-4:30-4:30 this is a example of Monday-Friday workweek.
Article 21 WRSA needs to be read in order to fully understand when I ask about the meaning of consistent in Article 20.

It's consistently different.

Anyways, peak is here and they can change things around to effectively suit the operations. It's posted and those are the times. They can't just change them at the last minute, so yeah it's about as consistent as it gets.

What`s funny is peak is here and this next week is the first time I have seen it consistent. 4:30 start all week.
I was told that as long as it is consistent for that day of the week.
So much for Websters Dictionary being the place to go for the definition of word`s. I should try the urban dictionary.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What`s funny is peak is here and this next week is the first time I have seen it consistent. 4:30 start all week.
I was told that as long as it is consistent for that day of the week.
So much for Websters Dictionary being the place to go for the definition of word`s. I should try the urban dictionary.

calm down Alice it varied by 30 minutes

you’re just going to have to learn how to twist that doobie a little faster

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Start time changes of less than an hour only require 24 hour notice.

Start time changes of more than hour require 72 hour notice.

The start times that you posted do not vary enough to bitch about.

Funny Dude this burrheadd. I`am not sure where your at or if you have any understanding of our contract. Would they let you sit around for 30 minutes and pay you. No they would not they would write you up for stealing time or fire you for dishonesty.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Funny Dude this burrheadd. I`am not sure where your at or if you have any understanding of our contract. Would they let you sit around for 30 minutes and pay you. No they would not they would write you up for stealing time or fire you for dishonesty.

why are you sitting around show at your start time and start getting paid