Predicted Peak Volume

MassWineGuy

I haven’t heard a thing yet about projected volume for peak. Even with Amazon, last year was lighter than recent years. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, Frontline said that domestic and international cargo flights will be reduced after the new year. How might that filter down to the station level?

Star B

White Lightening
We are a larger area with a good mix of rural and urban routes. They seem to be planning like last year. Our peaks are pretty much dependant on the weather. If we have good weather, even if Memphis is pooping itself, we can handle the volume just fine. If the weather sucks, there ain't much we can do and people around here know that.

Poop Head

Judge me.
We are a larger area with a good mix of rural and urban routes. They seem to be planning like last year. Our peaks are pretty much dependant on the weather. If we have good weather, even if Memphis is pooping itself, we can handle the volume just fine. If the weather sucks, there ain't much we can do and people around here know that.
Trump put out a press release saying he wouldnt be able to hold off any major storms this Christmas season

MassWineGuy

Same here in New England. Last year, it was busy but volume was overall light. And we had major equipment problems. We were told that we wouldn’t get the new Power Pads until next summer.

Our peaks are pretty much dependant on the weather. If we have good weather, even if Memphis is pooping itself, we can handle the volume just fine. If the weather sucks, there ain't much we can do and people around here know that.

floridays

Same here in New England. Last year, it was busy but volume was overall light. And we had major equipment problems. We were told that we wouldn’t get the new Power Pads until next summer.
Don't worry about work on your day off, you aren't getting paid for it.

Buy the mama a pizza and some beer, chocolate after that. You'll be back to work soon enough wishing you were home.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I haven’t heard a thing yet about projected volume for peak. Even with Amazon, last year was lighter than recent years. What are your thoughts on this?

Peak went smooth overall last year. The weather was cooperative and on-road staffing wasn't an issue. This year's plan is more of the same, along with a greater use of casuals.

Also, Frontline said that domestic and international cargo flights will be reduced after the new year. How might that filter down to the station level?

If there's less freight, the stations will probably see less freight. Sounds pretty self-explanatory.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Peak went smooth overall last year. The weather was cooperative and on-road staffing wasn't an issue. This year's plan is more of the same.
The freight was habitually late five days out of six. And you call that smooth?
You need to get out into the real world once in awhile.

No wonder why they have you “working” at such a meaningless position.

SmithBarney

We have been running as many(or more) routes than we have since last peak, with vehicles double parked during the sort. We'll be adding a few more routes most Part timers have said they are available for FT hours.. We are set, other than vehicles we have about 10% out of service at the moment.(we have a nice rental fleet)

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Peak went smooth overall last year. The weather was cooperative and on-road staffing wasn't an issue. This year's plan is more of the same, along with a greater use of casuals.
Is that what the numbers indicated?

More of the same means a shortage of equipment (ppads, printers, batteries), vehicles, and on-time freight. Oh, and managers with the ability to adjust on the fly.

SSDD

Artee

No extra vehicles yet at the stations I have been to. Usually by now they have a fleet of rentals in the parking lot. I am sure they will rent a few as they get into peak, but seems like they are planning for a slower peak. Or they are counting on temp drivers to come in and delivering using their own vehicles.

59 Dano

Is that what the numbers indicated?

More of the same means a shortage of equipment (ppads, printers, batteries), vehicles, and on-time freight. Oh, and managers with the ability to adjust on the fly.

SSDD

Weather and staffing drive nearly all other service metrics, with WDLs being at or near the top of the list because that's the one that will irritate customers the most. Don't know what's up at your station; I'm looking at US Ops in general and my region in particular.

59 Dano

The freight was habitually late five days out of six. And you call that smooth?
You need to get out into the real world once in awhile.

No wonder why they have you “working” at such a meaningless position.

Thanks for making bold, sweeping claims about the company based on your station.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Thanks for making bold, sweeping claims about the company based on your station.
My station? That's a laugh.

So you think I don't read posts on here and other social media sites from couriers that come from all parts of the country and beyond? They've all pretty said the same things about last year's peak. Oh, and I forgot mention all the carry over nationwide because sales once again oversold and expects the couriers to bail them out while they spend all day Christmas Eve at home relaxing while the hourlies shovel through a nearly impossible mess that SALES created. Smooth huh?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Temp drivers using their vehicles? Do you mean ground?
I think it was this...

Scabs
image-jpeg.62200

California plates... did this type of FXE PVD exist elsewhere after that original post?

59 Dano

My station? That's a laugh.

So you think I don't read posts on here and other social media sites from couriers that come from all parts of the country and beyond? They've all pretty said the same things about last year's peak. Oh, and I forgot mention all the carry over nationwide because sales once again oversold and expects the couriers to bail them out while they spend all day Christmas Eve at home relaxing while the hourlies shovel through a nearly impossible mess that SALES created. Smooth huh?

Gossip vs. data.