Pregnant fiance/wife covered?

The speed

Your child will be covered because it is your dependent regardless of marriage. I went through this in 1992 and I found out after I married the mother that the child would be covered regardless as a dependent of mine with or withoout marriage however womens visits before the birth would not be covered until after I signed the birth certificate. Same goes for almost any UPSers dependents in questions such as step children or adoption of step children. As long as you as the UPS employee has the guts to stand up and claim them - UPS claims them.

paidslave

Alright. Here goes the background to my question and the question itself!

Fiance and I found out in October that she was 6wks pregnant. She worked full time and had benefits through her employer and all was fine. On Jan 6th her position was eliminated and she was laid off. Her insurance is only good until Feb 19th. COBRA will cost us $700 a month that we really cannot afford.

According to my insurance we have to be married for her to be covered. We are getting married in a matter of a few weeks. What I am wondering is if the pregnancy will be covered under my insurance since she is already pregnant?

Reason I ask is because she has applied for individual coverage with a few places locally and been denied due to being pregnant. In Oregon it is considered "a high risk pre-existing condition." She has applied for the Oregon Health Plan, but between her unemployment and my work wages we "make too much to qualify."

I would like to think that when we get married she can just be added to my insurance and everything will be covered and everything will be just fine, but with the luck we have had so far I really wonder. I cannot imagine being stuck with a $50,000 dollar hospital bill - if not more.

Don't know if anyone has experienced this or known the outcome of someone who has but anything would be helpful.

Yes your child will be covered because it is yours. Your preggo girlfriend would probably be not covered by your insurance. Make sure you get cobra through the pregnancy in case something goes wrong. 700 bucks a month is nothing compared to thousands that you could be billed if something goes array!

My opinion!

Insurance companies will tell you too bad. Prexisting condition. just make sure hospital understands your child is 100 percent covered for any and all medical instances that may arise. Same problem happened to me and I had numerous fights with insurance company regarding payments. Finally had a lawyer call insurance company and told them we would be more than happy to go to court and legally prove that tests were needed to insure the health of my unborn daughter and they would have to reimburse my out of pocket expenses as well as be responsible for any damages that may be incurred. lets just say the problem was solved relatively quickly. Consult an attorney with a knowledge of the games insurance companies play, it definetly helps.

UPSGUY72

Being pregnant isn't a pre-existing condition it life. Have heart trouble, cancer, etc would be a pre-existing condition.

You shouldn't have a problem.

drewed

Shankman
Well it is a condition thats prexisting....its temporary but the condition did happen before she was covered by his insurance

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Being pregnant isn't a pre-existing condition it life. Have heart trouble, cancer, etc would be a pre-existing condition.

You shouldn't have a problem.

"Pre-existing condition" may not be the best way to describe pregnancy but that is what it is. Care for the newborn should be covered but I would not think that the pregnancy and birth would be.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just an FYI, federal law bars pregnancy from being considered a pre-existing condition. Since your wife was previously insured, your situation should be covered under HIPAA. I think you should be ok.