preloader happy to play along with orion changes.. but..

browniehound

I say do what they say and don't worry about making the driver happy. Its your ass not his that has to deal with your supervisor. I'm a driver and am happy when the packages are actually where they are supposed to be in the truck. I understand this is not always possible, but if its close that is good for me.

I'm not sure as a preloader that you know how much smoother the day goes when the truck is loaded stop for stop. I'm not sure UPS understands this. If UPS understood this they would give the preload more time to make the loads perfect instead of shoving the packages down your throat for 4 hours.

I truly believe I would be paid under everyday if my truck was loaded stop for stop, so why not give the preload the time to do this? So say I'm 15 minutes paid under instead of 15 minutes paid over. That would be a savings of $48.39/2=$24.24 in labor savings. Multiply that by 3 (the minimum # of cars the preloader does) and it comes to $72.63 is driver labor savings.

The preloader at $9.50/hour would have to work 7.6 more hours in one day over what he now does now to negate those savings gained from the driver. Why not give him an extra hour to really perfect the load? It will only cost you $9.50 and give you $63.13 in driver labor cost savings. You can do the math with 80,000 drivers and the 200+ working days/year. Yet you can't idle the truck or go over your ORION mileage by 1 or 2. That might waste 1/2 gallon of fuel or about $1.70. Its trivial compared to the 64 bucks they COULD be saving.

But, the preload is on a different cost account than the drivers so their managers don't care. How about the higher-ups? Don't you care? Can you get the big picture? Or is just about micro-managing to achieve certain numbers in each segment of the business only to hurt the entire business as a whole?

Yes, its a rhetorical question. We all know the answer. But why? How does the management committee allow this to continue?

So sorry that I went on this tangent. My intent was 1 paragraph at the start.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Because these idiots are retarded. They will spend a dollar to save 5 cents. I have never understood it myself. They could save a lot of money in different areas if they would actually think about all the stupid shiznitt they do. Too many Indians and not enough chiefs.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I say do what they say and don't worry about making the driver happy. Its your ass not his that has to deal with your supervisor. I'm a driver and am happy when the packages are actually where they are supposed to be in the truck. I understand this is not always possible, but if its close that is good for me.

I'm not sure as a preloader that you know how much smoother the day goes when the truck is loaded stop for stop. I'm not sure UPS understands this. If UPS understood this they would give the preload more time to make the loads perfect instead of shoving the packages down your throat for 4 hours.

I truly believe I would be paid under everyday if my truck was loaded stop for stop, so why not give the preload the time to do this? So say I'm 15 minutes paid under instead of 15 minutes paid over. That would be a savings of $48.39/2=$24.24 in labor savings. Multiply that by 3 (the minimum # of cars the preloader does) and it comes to $72.63 is driver labor savings.

The preloader at $9.50/hour would have to work 7.6 more hours in one day over what he now does now to negate those savings gained from the driver. Why not give him an extra hour to really perfect the load? It will only cost you $9.50 and give you $63.13 in driver labor cost savings. You can do the math with 80,000 drivers and the 200+ working days/year. Yet you can't idle the truck or go over your ORION mileage by 1 or 2. That might waste 1/2 gallon of fuel or about $1.70. Its trivial compared to the 64 bucks they COULD be saving.

But, the preload is on a different cost account than the drivers so their managers don't care. How about the higher-ups? Don't you care? Can you get the big picture? Or is just about micro-managing to achieve certain numbers in each segment of the business only to hurt the entire business as a whole?

Yes, its a rhetorical question. We all know the answer. But why? How does the management committee allow this to continue?

So sorry that I went on this tangent. My intent was 1 paragraph at the start.
UPS understands that the driver's day would be easier if the truck was loaded stop for stop...they just don't care. Preload isn't going to get more time....so you have to learn to do it in the time given..and with common sense it can be done.

One of the biggest problems in improper training of new loaders. PT sups show them to load by PAL and then okay...go load. They don't teach them things like proper lip loading. Or your 5000 shelf is full...so drop those 2 big boxes on it to the floor, instead of putting 7 various small ones on the floor. Stick envelopes neatly between lip loaded boxes...don't just throw smalls in the general direction of the shelf. Nothing over 40lbs touches a top shelf...nothing over 50lbs touches any shelf. I once had a new loader help me move a small box that weighed 95 lbs..we carry it into the truck and he asks me what shelf does it go on?? If a loader trained the new hires....load quality might improve.

BUCN85

Custom loads are beneficial to the bid driver but can be a PITA for cover drivers.

Do yourself a favor--load by PAL.
I actually read this post the other day and then my driver told me he would be off and the guy who covers it doesn't know it too well. So instead of the custom load I normally do I loaded it by the PAL taking this post into consideration.

BUCN85

Because these idiots are retarded. They will spend a dollar to save 5 cents. I have never understood it myself. They could save a lot of money in different areas if they would actually think about all the stupid shiznitt they do. Too many Indians and not enough chiefs.
Ooooooo yeaaaaaaa! Sorry couldn't help myself

Ammon503

Always load by the PAS/PALS and/or ORION. The whole idea of "custom loads" is absurd. The new concept of hin labeling on packages is for ANY driver and ANY preloader to be successful in the trucks.

Why no custom loads? A driver and center manager and the management person figuring out the drivers route can input ANY changes needed in the computer so it hins the package to where the driver would like it to be.

Why no custom loads? There is a 30 page booklet on methods that is for preloaders and the PAS. I dont know about "right to work states" but at my hub we have a teamsters local (duh). In our contract we dont recognize production....so we can only get written up for not following the methods. No where in that 30 pages of methods for preloaders and the PAS does it mention custom loads for sad drivers.

Why no custom loads???? What cover driver wants a custom load? please raise your hand now. The diad they use doesnt tell them about the custom load. A good portion of cover drivers at my hub are either new or under 2-3 years and being given extra stops on the route they are covering. oh thanks for the custom load says that low seniority cover driver.

Why no custom loads? We have 3 centers at my hub. 7 boxlines. Each boxline has two sides with maybe 15-20 trucks on each side. Obviously some more. Many assignments in the hub. Are you going to custom load the next assignment you are at? NO, you are going to use the PAS!

How about working on preload methods instead of worrying about custom loads? Do the drivers contribute to your pension or your paycheck? Sorry for the rant......well kinda sorry.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Always load by the PAS/PALS and/or ORION. The whole idea of "custom loads" is absurd. The new concept of hin labeling on packages is for ANY driver and ANY preloader to be successful in the trucks.
If every loader were successful in their trucks, there'd be a lot less grumpy drivers. Also, so if I get a large overweight that fits nicely in the cargo area, so the driver can get it out the back easier, but the HIN is 2100, it should go under the 2000 shelf? Ahhh....I'm not putting it up there.
Why no custom loads? A driver and center manager and the management person figuring out the drivers route can input ANY changes needed in the computer so it hins the package to where the driver would like it to be.
Yes, yes, they say they will, but they don't. Or the center manager changes the HIN for a particular stop in one plan, but not the 16 other plans that they run in a month.
Why no custom loads? There is a 30 page booklet on methods that is for preloaders and the PAS. I dont know about "right to work states" but at my hub we have a teamsters local (duh). In our contract we dont recognize production....so we can only get written up for not following the methods. No where in that 30 pages of methods for preloaders and the PAS does it mention custom loads for sad drivers.
I've loaded at ups since before PAS. At no point have I ever seen this 30 page novel on how to load a PC by PAL. So, if I never read it, how would I know what it doesn't contain? Furthermore, if I needed to read the book to be sucessful at my job...why haven't I been fired yet??
Why no custom loads???? What cover driver wants a custom load? please raise your hand now. The diad they use doesnt tell them about the custom load. A good portion of cover drivers at my hub are either new or under 2-3 years and being given extra stops on the route they are covering. oh thanks for the custom load says that low seniority cover driver.
I leave cover drivers a note if I know my drivers are on vacation.

Why no custom loads? We have 3 centers at my hub. 7 boxlines. Each boxline has two sides with maybe 15-20 trucks on each side. Obviously some more. Many assignments in the hub. Are you going to custom load the next assignment you are at? NO, you are going to use the PAS!
I load the same trucks everyday for months, sometimes years on end.

How about working on preload methods instead of worrying about custom loads? Do the drivers contribute to your pension or your paycheck? Yes, at christmas they sure do.

Sorry for the rant......well kinda sorry.

Ammon503

All of your points are extremely irrelevant Bleeding Brown.

-Large overweight HIN is 2100, it should go under the 2000 shelf?
Of course not, follow the methods. Back of truck. Again methods.

-center manager...but not the 16 other plans that they run in a month
We have a center manager and a PAS management person. I have seen them change it on allllllllllll the plans. It just takes a little persuasion. Use the methods.

-I've loaded at ups since before PAS. At no point have I ever seen this 30 page novel on how to load a PC by PAL.
Congratulations for loading before the PAS....much like many others. That would be me included...being in the first round to go to the PAS at my hub. I took the time to find this novel. Maybe I am more persistent and care about quality over production so I follow the methods. A person can be the worst preloader ever...horrible quality (maybe great production) and never get fired. In my hub, we are teamsters...getting fired...well that takes a lot of work.

-I leave cover drivers a note if I know my drivers are on vacation.
Your note...doesnt fix a custom load, but I guess its thought that counts.

-I load the same trucks everyday for months, sometimes years on end.
That is so awesome for you. Not everyone is you though. I loaded the same trucks for a few years also....still no custom load, methods. I loaded another assignment for a few months, still no custom load, methods. I covered for another assignment....no custom load. I helped out on an assignment, I wrapped up someone else's assignment, I came in early to help out on an assignment, I blah blah blah blah....still no custom load, METHODS BABY.

-Yes, at christmas they sure do.
No they dont. They do not contribute to your pension. They do not contribute to your paycheck. Ive been at UPS almost 15 years. No...they contribute nothing to my HOURLY PAY RATE. I do the contributing. Oh did you mean a little (very little compared to my earnings) side bonus....for your custom load? I get more money for filing a grievance in a year for supervisors working.

Another rant....from me RK.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Quite frankly, if you're a loader....why do you care how anyone else loads their trucks?? My custom loads don't affect you, and neither do anyone elses. Worry about your trucks, and I'll worry about mine. Your lack of Xmas tips may be indicative of how much your drivers "appreciate" your loading by the methods.

Ammon503

I am a preloader. Well....the reason I care is because I represent people...as in preloaders...that get written up for not following their methods. Custom load this custom load that. If you follow the methods everything works out much smoother. Many of my friends have become drivers. What do they want? What their diad tells them is in the truck. Is the ORION system and a center level manager going to tell them to deliver the packages from a custom load????? NO.

Lack of xmas tips...jesus...this one always get me. I go to work for a paycheck...."fair days work for a fair days pay". Its not that I dont get xmas tips its just that they are irrelevant. If they gave me 300 dollars I might say differently but I yet to meet a preloader that walked away with 300 xmas tip. If someone on here says they do...I will call BS. Besides, during xmas I worked 10 plus hour shifts (on my regular shift) five days a week, with double shifting and extra saturday and sunday sorts on top of that. Whatever "xmas tip" I get, well thank you mr./ms. driver but really its a very small percentage of my "xmas" hours or overall hours for the whole year. My paycheck = hours*hourly rate. grievance paycheck for sups working = hours*special hourly rate. Seniority violation paycheck = hours*hourly rate. Double shifting = hours*timeandhalf hourly rate. Loading by the methods is a contractual obligation. But I dig the contract. What can I say I'm a teamster.

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If in 8 years, I ever got disciplined or written up for custom loading....would I still be doing it? No, I work as directed. Call BS, I've made more than 300 in tips. Last Xmas was only 225. I don't need you to tell me how to do my job...thanks, I've got this.

wayfair

swollen member
you can't load according to ORION because it's optimized at the end of Preload shift, according to driver start time... here, they won't release EDD until start time... so to a preloader, I'd suggest writing all HIN/PAL numbers to sides of boxes that the driver can see, to help locate mysterious delivery order...

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
loaddddddd.jpg
Shes so beautiful lol.

HBGPreloader

View attachment 11693 Shes so beautiful lol.
As a preloader, that's what my cars typically look like maybe an hour into my shift. By the end of the day, you're lucky if you can see the floor in any of the cars.

Today, all 3 cars were again jammed. One car had more than 300 pieces just for the post office - including about a dozen totes of smalls and 6 bags. And, all were supposed to fit on the 6000 shelf. At the end of the shift, someone normally comes around to bag the smalls. But, that didn't happen (again) today :(

I typically would custom load all 3 cars because the load plans were that bad and the drivers, if they followed the plan, would not make their air deliveries on time. Even the cover drivers requested it.

Back to this orion stuff - They keep threatening to implement it. But, I don't think it has happened - yet.

Just before peak, I was instructed by (I believe) the district manager and some other higher up to load everything, large and small, on the shelf. The only exception was supposed to be hazmats and over 70's. They said that I was supposed to keep the floor clear so the drivers could have access to all their shelves and run their routes using orion.

Needless to say, they didn't take too kindly to me laughing out loud at them.

mixyo

Dispatcher
Lol. That doesn't do anything. Do you know how hard it is to get an incorrect PAL fixed? It's impossible.

Sent using BrownCafe App