Prepay 2018 union dues to get deduction?

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
You can pay your dues at any point and the amount taken out is deductible for the year they are paid. You wouldn't have any deduction the next year that way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can pay your dues at any point and the amount taken out is deductible for the year they are paid. You wouldn't have any deduction the next year that way.

I respectfully disagree.

The only thing that you can prepay (fund) in a prior year and be able to write off in that year is your IRA.

I don't think that you would be able to write off prepaid 2018 union dues in 2017; even if you were, the deduction would be minimal. Our dues here are about $1K/year and we get back roughly 25% of that when we file.

brown_trousers

I respectfully disagree.

The only thing that you can prepay (fund) in a prior year and be able to write off in that year is your IRA.

I don't think that you would be able to write off prepaid 2018 union dues in 2017; even if you were, the deduction would be minimal. Our dues here are about $1K/year and we get back roughly 25% of that when we file.

I figured it would be the same concept as paying your 2018 property taxes this year, and making januarys mortgage payment early, as a lot of accountants are recommending this

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I respectfully disagree.

While I agree that the deduction is minimal, the Local would take the dues in this year and it would reflect that. You could get a printout of your dues ledger from the Local as a receipt of payment. Let me clear, I don't know why anyone would want to because the benefit is minimal at best. There would be no deductions for the following year either unless that is in the new tax bill that passed Congress, but you could do it.

brown_trousers

While I agree that the deduction is minimal, the Local would take the dues in this year and it would reflect that. You could get a printout of your dues ledger from the Local as a receipt of payment. Let me clear, I don't know why anyone would want to because the benefit is minimal at best. There would be no deductions for the following year either unless that is in the new tax bill that passed Congress, but you could do it.

These are "unreimbursed employee expenses". From what ive read, this itemized deduction was eliminated in the new law, so 2017 will be the last year to claim it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We’ve been taking the standard deduction for years, not sure how you guys can itemize so much stuff to get above it.

Union dues, uniform maintenance and other unreimbursed job expenses-----I write off about $2K per year.

Charitable donations-----roughly $2.5K/year.

Property taxes and mortgage interest-----roughly $3K or so.

I have no problem beating the standard deduction; however, with that doubling in 2018 (2019 tax return), I will be much better off taking the SD rather than itemizing.

Charities are going to be the big losers as a result of this tax bill.

GameCockFan

Union dues, uniform maintenance and other unreimbursed job expenses-----I write off about $2K per year.

Charitable donations-----roughly $2.5K/year.

Property taxes and mortgage interest-----roughly $3K or so.

I have no problem beating the standard deduction; however, with that doubling in 2018 (2019 tax return), I will be much better off taking the SD rather than itemizing.

Charities are going to be the big losers as a result of this tax bill.

The standard deduction almost doubles from $6350 to $12K.
You lose your personmal exemption of $4050.

So a single person, like myself, it's pretty much a wash.
2017 6350+4050 = $10,400
2018 12K+0 = $12,000

+1,600

Charities will lose out.

Republicans love to say were doubling the standard deduction, but never mention losing the personal exemption. It's going to hurt single parent families and households with multiple children.

35years

Gravy route
The standard deduction almost doubles from $6350 to $12K.
You lose your personmal exemption of $4050.

So a single person, like myself, it's pretty much a wash.
2017 6350+4050 = $10,400
2018 12K+0 = $12,000

+1,600

Charities will lose out.

Republicans love to say were doubling the standard deduction, but never mention losing the personal exemption. It's going to hurt single parent families and households with multiple children.
The idea that multiple children households loose out is generally not true in the final bill. The expanded child tax credit in the final bill solved that...

To check how your taxes will be affected check out this calculator by the New York Times (hardly a Republican mouthpiece)...

Tax Bill Calculator: Will Your Taxes Go Up or Down?

I will save approx $2,400, more if I had more dependents.

For example if you are single (filing Head of household), have 2 kids, make $75,000-$100,000, and take the standard deduction you will see an estimated ... $3, 030 tax cut. With 3 kids more like a $3,500 tax cut.

Ny times reports 75% of taxpayers will see a cut.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Using the above calculator, I should save $3020. We have been taking the standard deduction for about 5 years now, one kid in college (over 17), one that’s 15, married filing jointly.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Btw, for those that think paying your property taxes early is going to work, make sure you checked with your local municipality that they’ll except non assessed payments.

GameCockFan

I've used the calculator. Says I will save $2200. I usually itemize but it looks like I will be using the standard deduction going forward.