Prospective UPS Auto Mechanic Questions

Plan on starting at a very low rate for a mechanic. We just had a new one leave who was very good due to the low rate of starting pay.
Plus being fully qualified and owning thousands of dollars worth of tools walking in the door. In my state we had several mechanic jobs open for years for this reason. Finally filled some but not sure if they had to offer a bonus.

iowa boy

In our building we just hired another after 2 years of only having one, UPS started him at top rate to hopefully keep him

Maplewood

We can't keep mechanics in the Seattle area. Ours are the lowest compensated in the nation for some reason. The good ones always leave for a better job. Their UAW pension is in the toilet so all their wage increases have been going into pension to pay the retired people. I hear the UAW representation for the UPS mechanics out here sucks too. Alot of their easier, daytime jobs have been contracted out to scab companies.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We can't keep mechanics in the Seattle area. Ours are the lowest compensated in the nation for some reason. The good ones always leave for a better job. Their UAW pension is in the toilet so all their wage increases have been going into pension to pay the retired people. I hear the UAW representation for the UPS mechanics out here sucks too. Alot of their easier, daytime jobs have been contracted out to scab companies.
Not UAW, it's IAM. Most of the pay raises have been taken by the union to prop up our failing pension. It has been in rehab for the last 9 years and funding is still declining. It is scheduled to fail in 2038.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
There is talk of mutiny against the union around here. Most of the time the union hall is closed up during posted hours I'm told. Our BA does not respond to emails.