Protect yourself!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's funny.

Maybe in some little 30 driver.... podunk center.

Not in the real world.
What difference would it make if there were 15 drivers or 150? The rides are one on one and any on car or center manager/BM worth his/her salt can find ways to improve any driver's routine, whether the improvements are minor tweaks or a total refresher course on the 340.

Our mall driver had a part time job as recreation director of his hometown, which required him to get done fairly early. Cover drivers had a very hard time covering his route as they were also expected to get done fairly early. Turns out he used to call most of his pickups to see if they had stuff going.

Pullman Brown

Been on the same route for 17 years. It is a very tight industrial area and other names of companies very little has changed. Orion is permanently turn off on my route because of the bulk. It was a two hour under allowed route for many years.
Now it is an even or slightly over allowed route due to manipulation and unit number changes by i.e. people who do my route without knowledge routinely mis pick ups or can’t get deliveries done without help.
no, I don’t really care either way, but to pretend this company is not dishonest by arbitrarily deciding how much more time is worth is a game I will not play. And for the record, my motto is the methods are your friend. Chasing fake numbers is no different than a hamster on a wheel.

I know multiple routes that need new time studies, good drivers, that would have to break multiple UPS rules to even get close to scratching. Are drivers stealing time yes and they should be fired but to treat every driver as if they are stealing time is slandering someone! It’s hypocritical either way. UPS and its virtue signaling fall on deaf ears. Show some effort and do some new time studies!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know multiple routes that need new time studies, good drivers, that would have to break multiple UPS rules to even get close to scratching. Are drivers stealing time yes and they should be fired but to treat every driver as if they are stealing time is slandering someone! It’s hypocritical either way. UPS and its virtue signaling fall on deaf ears. Show some effort and do some new time studies!
Physical or virtual time studies?

Thebrownblob

In your opinion, which would be more accurate?

My experience with physical time studies was they appeared to rely too much upon whom the bid driver was and their particular skillset.
My opinion is most likely physical ones. But at the end of the day, I do not care because they all get manipulated by IE. Especially if you have pick ups.

Pullman Brown

In your opinion, which would be more accurate?

My experience with physical time studies was they appeared to rely too much upon whom the bid driver was and their particular skillset.

My experience is the metric puts too much on miles and not actual work, stops and number of packages. The irony is you’re not doing much work driving.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Pullman Brown

My opinion is most likely physical ones. But at the end of the day, I do not care because they all get manipulated by IE. Especially if you have pick ups.

And that is the problem IE is god of the system and when making money is absolute, ethics can go out the window!

Last edited:

DriverNerd

I agree that can be a problem. I've covered routes where the regular driver does 200+ stops with heavy medical business stops and pickups and gets done every day by 1900 or earlier. He's under allowed everyday, but not by much. I have never got done with that route before 2100 with it dispatched at 200 stops.

Thebrownblob

I agree that can be a problem. I've covered routes where the regular driver does 200+ stops with heavy medical business stops and pickups and gets done every day by 1900 or earlier. He's under allowed everyday, but not by much. I have never got done with that route before 2100 with it dispatched at 200 stops.
L O L 200 stops. Better send the cavalry.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

@UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're just out of the loop. UPS is different now.
Perhaps.

I was asked (@$43/hr) to come back to train new drivers for Peak 2021. I talked to many of the current drivers and the mgt team and it did appear that many things had changed---not just the appearance standards. Of the newbies, there were fewer than 10% that would have even been considered for employment back in the day. There was one young lady who needed two mental health breaks during the Clarksville simulation----I shudder to think what her would reaction would have been when she saw her first bricked out P-1000 and the number of drivers who would be sent to bail her out.