PT package handler questions

AutoZone

BrownPower
I actually don't do much of anything during my day job.. I just make sure my guys are here.. Phones are being answered.. Deliveries being made, and bills are paid.. Pretty easy work.. I've put my time into the dealerships. 16 years now.. Worked myself into a very cozy position :)

PT Car Washer

I actually don't do much of anything during my day job.. I just make sure my guys are here.. Phones are being answered.. Deliveries being made, and bills are paid.. Pretty easy work.. I've put my time into the dealerships. 16 years now.. Worked myself into a very cozy position :)
Tell us again why you came back to a PT UPS minimum wage job with no benefits for a year. Just bored after work and needed something to do for a couple hours.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Tell us again why you came back to a PT UPS minimum wage job with no benefits for a year. Just bored after work and needed something to do for a couple hours.
It's the car business.. I can be replaced tomorrow if they wanted too. There's no job security.. There's no retirement.. There's no pension.. There's no benefits.. No insurance.. When you take a vacation, you worry about having your job when you get back.. Dealing with over privileged, micromanaging GMs is atrocious.. Its a forever changing business model that gets worse every year.. "Want more money, sell more parts"... Ok.. I up the sales 15%.. They come up with a 20%pay plan cut to adjust so they can keep you at what they want you to make.. If I got paid my original % of gross sales when they first hired me, id be making over 130k.. But they restructure pay plans every year.. So I've learned no reason to work harder if they just find a reason to take it away.. Just slow and steady.. Fly under the radar.. No worries. :)

By The Book

Well, I really do know what I'm talking about... You just have a different job within the same job.. So you should understand my gripe then since you know how it works.. It's the equivalent of unloading labels down, if all the bags flip over before they make it to the scanners.. It's nonsense that the sup up there allows it.... And she's such a B, my sup Doesnt even want to try to propose the idea.. Lol
BrownJake, what BB 58 does is not the same as what your talking about. She handles individual pkgs. after they've been dumped and scanned from those bags your talking about. Your idea makes sense, talk to your sort supervisor when you get a chance. It goes against all logic to place packages/bags labels down but if it works and helps someone from getting hurt that's a good thing. Maybe get the attention of a safety committee member and show them what is happening.

AutoZone

BrownPower
BrownJake, what BB 58 does is not the same as what your talking about. She handles individual pkgs. after they've been dumped and scanned from those bags your talking about. Your idea makes sense, talk to your sort supervisor when you get a chance. It goes against all logic to place packages/bags labels down but if it works and helps someone from getting hurt that's a good thing. Maybe get the attention of a safety committee member and show them what is happening.
I appreciate the well written response. Thank you. I'll look into it.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
It's the car business.. I can be replaced tomorrow if they wanted too. There's no job security.. There's no retirement.. There's no pension.. There's no benefits.. No insurance.. When you take a vacation, you worry about having your job when you get back.. Dealing with over privileged, micromanaging GMs is atrocious.. Its a forever changing business model that gets worse every year.. "Want more money, sell more parts"... Ok.. I up the sales 15%.. They come up with a 20%pay plan cut to adjust so they can keep you at what they want you to make.. If I got paid my original % of gross sales when they first hired me, id be making over 130k.. But they restructure pay plans every year.. So I've learned no reason to work harder if they just find a reason to take it away.. Just slow and steady.. Fly under the radar.. No worries. :)
No job security and you choose to do the bare minimum and brag about playing Madden on your phone.

Makes sense.

NXA

Women work at UPS. Just remember if you can't cut it, there are little old ladies who can.
One of the best preloaders in our building is a 110-lb grandma. Four PCs loaded stop-for-stop every am for about 8 yrs now if I remember right. Amazing, she leaves me in the dust.

AutoZone

BrownPower
No job security and you choose to do the bare minimum and brag about playing Madden on your phone.

Makes sense.[/QUOThisrhadin..

You lack to read anything.. Proving more and more why you're a UPS sup... I've grown my department 37% over the past 4 years since I took over.. All to be making the same $ as when I started. So they're profits are 37% higher, yet I've actually lost money over the 4 years. How's that for being rewarded for your hard work! That's what it's like to be in the car business. A buddy of mine sold 43 cars one month.. Made a $31k paycheck for one month.. Guess what happened.. They changed his pay plan based on that one month.. So the next month when he did 11, he made half the money as any other salesman that sold 11.. That's robbery.. (This didn't happen at my dealer. Just an example of that they do to you when you make to much). How can I make 92k my first year fixing a run down department... 4 years later I'm now running a well oiled machine, and making the same, or slightly less some years.. Last year I asked for a raise based on my performance.. I get the standard, want more money, sell more.. So I go get more business.. Up 15% last year alone, and the pay plan they forced me to sign in January had exclusions and I lost money.. This past year.. Amazing how that works.. So it's not that I'm doing the bare minimum.. I'm just maintaining the standard now instead of growing it more since there's no incentive.

HookAndLoader

I'm starting as a package handler on Monday doing the evening shift. I'm a male college student , 6'1 180. What should I expect on my first day? Is the work really as difficult and exhausting as they say? And is the pay worth it? Thx
Yes if you are not motivated, and don't have energy it will burn you out. You will get training and lots of advice take it, the biggest thing is not to stress out. It can get very chaotic but there are people all around who have been there done that to help you through it. There is not a job at UPS that is not physically and mentally demanding prepare yourself for BOTH. Sleep, hydration and eating well are very important. Expect longer hours, earlier start times it's not a job for someone who likes to go out and party at night.

I'm new here as package handler and then driver helper. I'm going to work at 2am til 9am Monday. then hookup with my driver at 10am til 2pm. I did 4am til 9am and Dr helper 10 til 2pm. Friday . I survived. You guys are right , its not that bad, well I say that now. But hey thanks for all the good advise.