PT Union Initiation Fee Paid During First 30

By The Book

3.5 hr daily guarantee.
That reminded me of another way drivers are benefited. If we work 7.6 hours we are guaranteed 8 hours and are paid for 8 hours. Part timers have to stay to get their guarantee. Then there's the bonus we get on top of that if we bust butt. Part timers can bust butt all day and only get hours worked.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Here's the other thing I'm finding lately...almost without exception, I'm finding people are pissed off with the union that they don't get any information. Now :censored2: me if I'm off on this...but if I'm paying 2 1/2 times my hourly wage plus whatever the initiation fee was for me 18 years ago, I'm taking the time to figure out what I'm paying for! I get this pile of :censored2: attitude all day everyday at work. You have a smartphone, the contract is there for the downloading along with your supplements and riders, get to reading and then ask me questions about what you don't understand. Even worse, people like to pick out sentences from the contract without checking out the context and who it's for. I had one person ask me why when there's layoffs they don't call from the top down...I told her it's a layoff they're required to go from the bottom up. It blew her mind...why didn't it occur to her to let them know that if there's layoffs to call her? But no...it's managements fault they couldn't read her mind...anyway...I could go on and on. If I could hide and not deal with some of these folks without pissing in their Cheerios I would.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
What happens at 3 + 1/2 ?
You as a part timer are guaranteed by the contract 3 and 1/2 hours work every day you report on time . You have to ask for it if they try to send you home. It is a double edge sword though they can make you stay once you ask for you right to 3 &1/2 . Most people run out the door and let the sups finish the work . They always try and kick you out after 5 because it is overtime pay .

jrh

You as a part timer are guaranteed by the contract 3 and 1/2 hours work every day you report on time . You have to ask for it if they try to send you home. It is a double edge sword though they can make you stay once you ask for you right to 3 &1/2 . Most people run out the door and let the sups finish the work . They always try and kick you out after 5 because it is overtime pay .
ohh I thought you meant years, not hours. Definitely, I live about 38 miles away so that extra 30 minutes is pretty essential to me. I haven't made a big deal of it yet but I certainly will in about two weeks' time.

jrh

Here's the other thing I'm finding lately...almost without exception, I'm finding people are pissed off with the union that they don't get any information. Now :censored2: me if I'm off on this...but if I'm paying 2 1/2 times my hourly wage plus whatever the initiation fee was for me 18 years ago, I'm taking the time to figure out what I'm paying for! I get this pile of :censored2: attitude all day everyday at work. You have a smartphone, the contract is there for the downloading along with your supplements and riders, get to reading and then ask me questions about what you don't understand. Even worse, people like to pick out sentences from the contract without checking out the context and who it's for. I had one person ask me why when there's layoffs they don't call from the top down...I told her it's a layoff they're required to go from the bottom up. It blew her mind...why didn't it occur to her to let them know that if there's layoffs to call her? But no...it's managements fault they couldn't read her mind...anyway...I could go on and on. If I could hide and not deal with some of these folks without pissing in their Cheerios I would.
Occasionally there's a union guy out front of the guard gate handing out contract booklets, which I think is really neat. I bet he's just a volunteer, too. I haven't even met our steward yet, everybody says he's difficult to get ahold of. It's a big building, to be fair, and he's just one man. That said, is there ever only one steward per building?

By The Book

Occasionally there's a union guy out front of the guard gate handing out contract booklets, which I think is really neat. I bet he's just a volunteer, too. I haven't even met our steward yet, everybody says he's difficult to get ahold of. It's a big building, to be fair, and he's just one man. That said, is there ever only one steward per building?
Hopefully more than one, we need help when we aren't there. Find your union bulliten board and put a note on it for your steward to contact you. There could be your unions contact info on here as we'll. go to a meeting and ask some questions.

MassWineGuy

Do you think,without the union. Part-timers would get healthcare and a pension?

I just started with FedEx part time, and I get full health care and pension.

When I worled last year for UPS as a seasonal driver I had a $500 init. fee plus dues. But I wasn't covered at all under the contract. I looked into it and found that each local sets the initiation fee. It's definitely a scam.

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember the look of disappointment every time I would hand a new peak helper his first check and he would open it only to find initiation fees were taken out. Even though I understand why the union does it (more $$$$$) I personally thought it was :bsbullf:

oldngray

nowhere special
When I started my local treated initiation fees as a cash cow because many new hires quit and never asked for a refund.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I remember the look of disappointment every time I would hand a new peak helper his first check and he would open it only to find initiation fees were taken out. Even though I understand why the union does it (more $$$$$) I personally thought it was :bsbullf:
I can still remember those $110 paychecks when we were new hires...after initiation fees and dues.

MassWineGuy

When I started my local treated initiation fees as a cash cow because many new hires quit and never asked for a refund.

Hmm. I'm definitely going to ask for my money back.

I agree that $500 is insane and obscene for an initiation fee. But that's how much our local made it. At least at our center, driver helpers were not charged any union fees or dues.

EastBrown N Down

Yeah its 10.50 every week they skipped a week once don't know why but I didn't ask anyone.. I make seniority in 3 working days. I didn't want to say shyte to anyone till then..

I'm local 42 if that helps. I know they all run a Lil differently.