The difference between union dues, fees, and initiation fees

inubae101

I've been working at ups for about half a year now and was told that I had to pay into the union to join,I thought no big deal, find out it's 500 dollars to pay, it hurts my poor pay check, but I still pay it. Now in the brand new year I'm getting another fee of initiation and the union due at the same time and it took about half of my paycheck, is this happening to anyone else? What is that fee? No one has given me an answer, not even the rep, what is going on with you teamsters!?

upschuck

Init fee is a one time fee, usually broken into more manageable amounts. Dues are a monthly expense that goes on forever.

If you have already paid your init fees, and they are still taking them out, call the local union hall. They can either explain why they are taking more out, our credit you that amount and suspend taking anymore out until you owe again.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I've been working at ups for about half a year now and was told that I had to pay into the union to join,I thought no big deal, find out it's 500 dollars to pay, it hurts my poor pay check, but I still pay it. Now in the brand new year I'm getting another fee of initiation and the union due at the same time and it took about half of my paycheck, is this happening to anyone else? What is that fee? No one has given me an answer, not even the rep, what is going on with you teamsters!?

john chesney

Sounds like they hit you with initiation fees and back dues. Initiation fees were a one time payment and union dues should be around 2 1/2 your hourly rate once a month. Initiation fees were 150 last time I checked. Call the union hall and get a explanation 500 is outrageous.

Sounds like they hit you with initiation fees and back dues. Initiation fees were a one time payment and union dues should be around 2 1/2 your hourly rate once a month. Initiation fees were 150 last time I checked. Call the union hall and get a explanation 500 is outrageous.
From what some people have posted on Brown Cafe $500 isn't that uncommon

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
From what some people have posted on Brown Cafe $500 isn't that uncommon

The initiation fee, is determined by the Local Union's bylaws.

The person you need to talk with (in person) is the Locals office manager.

Your BA is not going to be able to give you a breakdown, on your situation.

Sounds like they hit you with initiation fees and back dues.

Maybe....

Union dues should be around 2 1/2 your hourly rate once a month.

For members making $11.00 or less.... it's 2 X the hourly rate.

For members making more.... it's 2 1/2 times the hourly rate.

But those are the minimums.

Every Local is different.

-Bug-

The initiation fee, is determined by the Local Union's bylaws.

The person you need to talk with (in person) is the Locals office manager.

Your BA is not going to be able to give you a breakdown, on your situation.

Maybe....

For members making $11.00 or less.... it's 2 X the hourly rate.

For members making more.... it's 2 1/2 times the hourly rate.

But those are the minimums.

Every Local is different.

-Bug-
$100 here doe part timers and $200 for full timers

542thruNthru

I live in California and that's what it is for us in my area

I live in CA also and ours is $100 at $25 a week for the first 4 weeks. Then 2.5x your hourly wage.

$500 is absolutely ridiculous. For that amount of money I better see my BA in my building at least once a week and he better know all our names. :)

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I live in CA also and ours is $100 at $25 a week for the first 4 weeks. Then 2.5x your hourly wage.

$500 is absolutely ridiculous. For that amount of money I better see my BA in my building at least once a week and he better know all our names. :)
good