PT Union Pension Division During Divorce

LNA03

I am currently in the beginning phases of my divorce, and I need advice on how my pension will be determined by the courts.
I was PT Union for nine years. I left UPS long before I was married, however, the state I was married in is an equitable division state, thus meaning my pension is marital property.

My question is, when it comes time to put an asset valuation on it, will the courts Accept the most recent/Current buyout valuation offer UPS sent me or will they be doing the calculations based on life expectancy?

I’m only in my 30’s and am nowhere near retirement age so I am not sure how this will play out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

LNA03

I’ve already retained a lawyer, but am not ready to bring this question up yet. Sadly, We were only married one year before my husband asked for the divorce. However, we “Cohabitated” for 5 years before we were married, (which does will factor during the division) and have a daughter that is almost 4. but I’m looking at getting totally screwed because we mutually agreed that o would stay home with our daughter while he worked. I have been a homemaker for the majority of the time, while supporting him in his career goals.
He now makes over 6 figures and I have nothing but my pension. He kept me in the dark on all the finances so I’m terrified that I am going to walk away with nothing all because of my “poetential earnings” valuation.
I hope this makes sense, but I am just in a frantic position bc if my pension is valued-based on life expectancy, I’m loking at $100,000 of assets in my name then he may not have to contribute anything to me.

I’ve already retained a lawyer, but am not ready to bring this question up yet. Sadly, We were only married one year before my husband asked for the divorce. However, we “Cohabitated” for 5 years before we were married, (which does will factor during the division) and have a daughter that is almost 4. but I’m looking at getting totally screwed because we mutually agreed that o would stay home with our daughter while he worked. I have been a homemaker for the majority of the time, while supporting him in his career goals.
He now makes over 6 figures and I have nothing but my pension. He kept me in the dark on all the finances so I’m terrified that I am going to walk away with nothing all because of my “poetential earnings” valuation.
I hope this makes sense, but I am just in a frantic position bc if my pension is valued-based on life expectancy, I’m loking at $100,000 of assets in my name then he may not have to contribute anything to me.
Why are you asking us and not your lawyer?

Nobody here went to law school

Anyways good luck.

LNA03

Why are you asking us and not your lawyer?

Nobody here went to law school

Anyways good luck.

Because I wanted to see if anyone was in a similar situation and how that played out. I also wanted to ask if I write to the UPS Pension Plan People, if they will give me a current buyout valuation.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

How come he took off on ya?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
86 for women

Wow, things are looking up. I have zero expertise with divorce so the following is meant for encouragement/sympathy rather than advice. It seems like your lawyer shouldn't have a problem arguing that a pension that won't pay out for 30 years shouldn't be a consideration for the proceedings. If the other side wants to argue that you could get a pay out and that should be considered part of your assets, then only the payout amount ought to be on the table. If your lawyer is any good you shouldn't have much to worry about, I don't think I've ever heard of a woman getting a bad settlement from a divorce, unless she was the one with the money to begin with. Best of luck.

Shiftless

First off! Sorry it had to come to this! I'm no lawyer! Best of luck!

I just spent the last year dealing with this with one of my kids. If you want a learning lesson on life? Go sit in a Family Law Court Room with lawyers and people with disdain for each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You learn real quick if there are assets that exceed the debts generally you are better off working it out if you can. I'm in California. I watched and listened to numbers that stagger the mind of people throwing away hard earned assets using lawyers! Which from the outside looks like more anger and vendetta than common sense!

Realistically most cant get along. Add in the whispers into the ears from outsiders to get a lawyer and all heck breaks loose!

You?
Even if the child is or is not his own off spring, pretty sure you will get child support for that child unless there is another support order?

I just watched a similar case where they had co habitation and the judge allowed that to be factored in.
In California generally 1/2 the marriage is the number for how long you will receive spousal support. Judges have free reign here to make judgement on how long spousal support will be long or short! In this case together 15, married 5 for a total of 20 years, he told counsel expect at least 10 years spousal or MORE!
Counsel lost on the 1/2 marriage deal and probably made it worse for the client arguing in a manner you could see the judge was not happy with and let it be known he will lengthen it more if needed.

As for your pension? To date? Isn't worth much at all. Its a small number that will get added into the mix.

Good luck with your issue. It is very stressful. Hope you have Family you can lean on when needed!