Put a darn number on your mailbox!!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Nothing better then driving around in the dark and rain trying to find the correct house when the mailbox doesn't have numbers or the numbers are worn off or missing. You bring it up to the customer and he gives you a blank look, then wanders back to his front porch to play the banjo.

barnyard

KTM rider
The county puts 911 numbers at the end of the driveway. The worse have 5 or 6 numbers and no numbers on the house.

Several years ago, I delivered to a house and the owner was at the door and said, "Why is it that you are the only guy that gets my deliveries right?"

Me, "I have no idea, I am just guessing, none of the houses down this driveway have a number on them. Hate to be an ambulance guy looking for a house here."

Packmule

Nothing better then driving around in the dark and rain trying to find the correct house when the mailbox doesn't have numbers or the numbers are worn off or missing. You bring it up to the customer and he gives you a blank look, then wanders back to his front porch to play the banjo.
I have long believed that we need a Federal law that states no delivery company of any kind -- including the post office -- will deliver to a physical address where house/mailbox numbers are not displayed in accordance to local ordinance. The reason is that we only undermine the need for homeowners to get in compliance.
Take about two days to see %90 of this fixed.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
One thing I do is if they are not at home, even if I am sure it is the right house, leave an info notice asking if this is the right house. Then the next day if they reply yes, Leave another info notice stating you need a sig. Sometimes a little aggravation is all you need for some positive results. When you finally deliver it, tell them at least you didnt order an ambulance

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I always tell such people the fictitious story of my elderly father who lives in the country and who nearly died because the ambulance that my mother called for him during his heart attack was either unable to find their unmarked house or unable to turn around in their muddy/obstructed driveway. I also tell such people that (a) package cars are built on ambulance chssis and (b) that UPS has the same maps that energency responders use. Its all BS, but I have succeeded in getting several people to put numbers up and/or create a spot on their property for me to get turned around on.

browndingo

True story - I lived out in the country years ago where my postal address was something like "Route 3, box 25". Then the county got 911 and the gravel road I lived on was now "250th Street" and I had a house number which the county put on a nice reflective sign down by the "street."

A few months after that, I was driving home and saw a grass fire in a ditch about half a mile down the road, across from one of my neighbor's. The neighbor's truck wasn't there and I figured they weren't around, so I drove home and called the FD. They asked me for the location of the fire. I thought to myself "Ah, here's where these new 911 addresses will really be handy." I told the dispatcher "It's right across the road from 1234 250th Street."

Silence.

"Oh - is that the Smithville road?"

"No - it's the rock road one mile north of there."

"Oh - at Johnson's corner?"

"No - that's two miles north. It's the one between them."

"Oh - where the Brown's used to live?"

"That's right - it's a quarter mile west of the old Brown place. Right across from the Jones' place."

"OK - they're on the way..."

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
NSN. If I know its the right house ill write on their box need a number on your mailbox or house just to piss em off for pissing me off. Sometimes you gotta be a DICK on this job lol.

Whargoul

I got quite a few houses on my route that don't have numbers of any kind. One of the sups told me I should have every corner house # memorized so I can just count the houses and figure out which is the right one. But the house numbers don't always go in exact order.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Nothing better then driving around in the dark and rain trying to find the correct house when the mailbox doesn't have numbers or the numbers are worn off or missing. You bring it up to the customer and he gives you a blank look, then wanders back to his front porch to play the banjo.[/QUOT
No worries rookie. A few more years on your new route and you will be able to just look at the name and know where you're going. Until then just leave the parcels at the local co-op until they get the numbers on the box.

For us it is just an inconvenience. If they ever need an ambulance or police car in an emergency and the responders can't find them, lives might be at stake. Hopefully, they won't wait until it's too late to add some numbers to the house/mailbox. It would not cost that much and might save lives.

S

serenity now

I got quite a few houses on my route that don't have numbers of any kind. One of the sups told me I should have every corner house # memorized so I can just count the houses and figure out which is the right one. But the house numbers don't always go in exact order.

Non delivery / No such number

Cementups

Box Monkey
I just have this habit of memorizing every address during the sunny season. I could get you to every house on my area blindfolded in the dark.