Put a darn number on your mailbox!!!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You can get fired for writing on someone's mailbox, however if you're in an area that has separate boxes for newspapers I've seen people get away with writing the house number on the inside of that box visible from the road.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I got quite a few houses on my route that don't have numbers of any kind. One of the sups told me I should have every corner house # memorized so I can just count the houses and figure out which is the right one. But the house numbers don't always go in exact order.

They do in Clarksville.

over9five

Staff member
Its something I do all the time. Always have. I could describe most of the houses I delivered to 15 years ago when I was a driver in a different center. I know it's a bit crazy, but it's kind of what I do.

Here's something to think about. I had been on the route 10 years, I knew my route cold, had no problem delivering in the dark, knew every house number.
Then one day a cover driver asks me "What number is the red house on Woodcliffe?"

And I realized..... I didn't know what color any house on my route was. Is that weird? Does color mean so little to me that I just ignore it?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Here's something to think about. I had been on the route 10 years, I knew my route cold, had no problem delivering in the dark, knew every house number.
Then one day a cover driver asks me "What number is the red house on Woodcliffe?"

And I realized..... I didn't know what color any house on my route was. Is that weird? Does color mean so little to me that I just ignore it?

​Same here. I know where it is but I couldn't say if it was 3 house on the left from so so street.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I have been on my route for 18 years and the town I deliver provides house number posts to be placed at the end of the driveway. However with the current "wheel of dispatch" I often get splits and misloads in neighboring towns that don't have number posts. In those cases I just make my best guess and hope for the best.

OPTION3

I always tell the customer......If you have to call the fire department....what do you tell the 911 dispatcher, "my house is the one with flames 30 feet above the roof line"---or the police " listen for the screams coming from my house from the home invasion taking place"----:censored2:BAGS