Putting in My Letter of Intent

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wanted to take the time to read all of the posts (and finish my 2nd cup of coffee) before responding.

To be blunt, although upsguy claims to possess the skill set required for the move, based solely from what I have learned about him here, I strongly disagree. I am not talking about the way he butchers the English language. IMO he lacks the organizational and leadership skills, as well as the maturity, required for the position. Would you really want someone who is willing to leave his sick wife and kids at home just to go snowmobiling with his buddies as your supervisor?

One of the points brought up was how his co-workers would treat him if he were to be assigned to his current center as an ORS. We had an on-car (since retired) who drove for 15 years before making the move. He was well respected by both hourlies and management. He was not the fastest driver but he got the job done and was well liked by his customers. He also grew up with many of the drivers that he was now being asked to supervise. The transition was at first a bit difficult but over time he was able to re-gain their trust and respect. He was able to separate any personal feelings when he needed to discipline.

He is going through some major life changes and I agree with those who said it may not be best to make this major decision at this point in his life.

He is also correct when he says that there are going to be some major technological changes within the next 5 years. Orion 2.0 will update EDD throughout the day and 85% compliance will be a thing of the past. Telematics will be expanded to include the time spent in the cargo area and where/when the packages are scanned.

If it were me I would sit down with my center manager to see if he/she would let me take a personal day and "shadow" one of the on-cars for a day to get a glimpse of what they go through during a typical day.

It's a shame he chose not to post a poll along with this thread as I would have voted "stay where you are".

trickpony1

upsguy-

Goggle "double bind stress" which is, essentially, the "damned if you do and damned if you don't" scenario.

It has been shown to cause anxiety and depression in laboratory rats.

Do you really need it?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As many of you know I have had some big changes happen in my life over the past 9 months. I have come to realize that when one door closes another one opens. After much thought over the past couple of months tonight I put the wheels in motion to cross to the other side and become part of management. Although I love driving the brown truck I feel that I have a education and other skill sets that are not being used to their fullest and should be.
Congrats
Hope your risk taking
Is filled with rewards

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wow dude lol. Cant believe that. You sure your ready for that shady stuff they stand for? Just remember 1 man cant change this place. I couldnt ever do it. It would be like me being a cop and stopping somebody for something ive done before or still do, id be a hypocrite. I just couldnt tell a driver after being a driver, something i know is impossible or just not right especially if i truly know in my heart, mind and soul its not right or i just cant represent it and dont believe in it. But with that being said, we all wish you good luck and were sure you could do the job. If you can drive you can do just about anything within this company. Just think about it and ask yourself is it really worth it, the things you have to sacrifice going into management. Everybody is built differently mentally, im just not that person whos willing to sellout who i am and what i believe in for this company's shady, dishonest, no care in the world for its employees game. Like i said think it over good big fella and make the decision you feel comfortable with in your mind, body and soul cause its a big decision dude.;)
You are just a big ole goofball
I love you Man!
Shady Driver

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Couldnt have said it better. Their master game is MENTALLY HYPNOTIZING the supes and plenty of people have fallen into their trap. Some people are easily mentally hypnotized once their trapped in that job and dont think they dont know this either. The funny thing is these people have been hypnotized and they dont even realize it, even though its obvious to those that around them, that i think is funny as hell. Id hate to see it though honestly cause i think and know that he is a good person and i like him, i think hes a cool dude. Hes shown his realness with us with some of the things he confided in us, about some of the things that have happened in his life, and with total strangers at that with most of us. I for one hope he doesnt do it honestly, i think he will regret it really like most of us think also.
That's funny as hell

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Before edd there were very little misloads... After we got Edd the misloads skyrocketed...some of this is from pushing loaders.. Some of it is pal labels put on the wrong box... So we have technology which has caused more misloads....great plan

The big problem with PAL labels is the loaders have no idea what they are loading. This box goes on this truck in this location. They don't read the primary label and they don't consider if it even seems reasonable.

I will ask my loader: " Where do you have the hospital today?" He gives me a blank look, because he didn't know he was loading the hospital.

Every one of the North/South flips on my truck could be caught if the loader would compare the pal to the main label.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I wanted to take the time to read all of the posts (and finish my 2nd cup of coffee) before responding.

To be blunt, although upsguy claims to possess the skill set required for the move, based solely from what I have learned about him here, I strongly disagree. I am not talking about the way he butchers the English language. IMO he lacks the organizational and leadership skills, as well as the maturity, required for the position. Would you really want someone who is willing to leave his sick wife and kids at home just to go snowmobiling with his buddies as your supervisor?

One of the points brought up was how his co-workers would treat him if he were to be assigned to his current center as an ORS. We had an on-car (since retired) who drove for 15 years before making the move. He was well respected by both hourlies and management. He was not the fastest driver but he got the job done and was well liked by his customers. He also grew up with many of the drivers that he was now being asked to supervise. The transition was at first a bit difficult but over time he was able to re-gain their trust and respect. He was able to separate any personal feelings when he needed to discipline.

He is going through some major life changes and I agree with those who said it may not be best to make this major decision at this point in his life.

He is also correct when he says that there are going to be some major technological changes within the next 5 years. Orion 2.0 will update EDD throughout the day and 85% compliance will be a thing of the past. Telematics will be expanded to include the time spent in the cargo area and where/when the packages are scanned.

If it were me I would sit down with my center manager to see if he/she would let me take a personal day and "shadow" one of the on-cars for a day to get a glimpse of what they go through during a typical day.

It's a shame he chose not to post a poll along with this thread as I would have voted "stay where you are".
Do you even realize you are being a :censored2:, Pee Wee?

oldandcrabby

Be calm and comforting to the kids, dont belittle her like she does you. Just tell them, moms upset, it will be ok, trust me they will remember. I have proof, they are 38 and 42. And it wasnt til a few years back, they asked. "I heard Dad did this and that" why didnt you ever tell us? Because you were a child and didnt need to deal with it.

very wise council.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The big problem with PAL labels is the loaders have no idea what they are loading. This box goes on this truck in this location. They don't read the primary label and they don't consider if it even seems reasonable.

I will ask my loader: " Where do you have the hospital today?" He gives me a blank look, because he didn't know he was loading the hospital.

Every one of the North/South flips on my truck could be caught if the loader would compare the pal to the main label.
Yep I was just telling my wife last night you used to rarely get misloads for other towns. Now it happens all off the time.

Browntown2014

Give it up guys. Hes made his decision. No clue, you drivers are so stupid, you couldnt possibly know.....sounds like the lobotomy was succesful. Degrade and attack.

Great point, upsguy72 sounds like one of those people who feel they are better than others and needs to be charge to show off his scary "people" skills.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Be sure to go over your benefits with a fine tooth comb, if you get approved. Your pension will freeze where its at now, as new management no longer have a pension. Your salary and 401k match are supposed to offset that, but if you do the math it doesn't work out. Good luck, hopefully you are just padding your resume because operations at UPS is a miserable short-term job now.

bbsam

Staff member

What you say may be true, but it really has to be taken with a grain of salt. You are in essence critiquing an Internet persona. Think about that for a moment. The upsguy of BC may be far different than the person who posts. I for instance, am far more wonderful even than what people reading my posts must think.