Putting in My Letter of Intent

upschuck

What you say may be true, but it really has to be taken with a grain of salt. You are in essence critiquing an Internet persona. Think about that for a moment. The upsguy of BC may be far different than the person who posts. I for instance, am far more wonderful even than what people reading my posts must think.
I certainly would hope so. :)

PT Car Washer

Be sure to go over your benefits with a fine tooth comb, if you get approved. Your pension will freeze where its at now, as new management no longer have a pension. Your salary and 401k match are supposed to offset that, but if you do the math it doesn't work out. Good luck, hopefully you are just padding your resume because operations at UPS is a miserable short-term job now.
Great idea. Use the UPS job as a springboard to a real management position at another company. Somewhere where you are allowed to make real decisions and advance your career.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
What you say may be true, but it really has to be taken with a grain of salt. You are in essence critiquing an Internet persona. Think about that for a moment. The upsguy of BC may be far different than the person who posts. I for instance, am far more wonderful even than what people reading my posts must think.

Agree, everybody hates the stick man, but I'm really a nice great guy.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Your going to lose a lot of money going into management from driving. I would sit down and figure that out before you made that decision.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
But "there's more to life than money" says a frequent BC contributor.

You have to sit down and figure it all out. You have to figure out the pay increases v.s their pay increases. Health benefits v.s their health benefits. Factor in overtime, traveling, union dues. How much you lose in pension. It all has to be factored in when your making that decision. You have to factor in your time that you have in now. It really isn't a simple decesion unless you haven't work that long.

PT Car Washer

Covered for an AM air driver route with a hundred piece ground bulk stop on the back. Everyday I would find one or two NDA packages mixed in with the bulk stop. Finally caught the training PT sup flinging my air stops into the back one morning. He had no clue that what he was doing was so wrong.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I wanted to take the time to read all of the posts (and finish my 2nd cup of coffee) before responding.

To be blunt, although upsguy claims to possess the skill set required for the move, based solely from what I have learned about him here, I strongly disagree. I am not talking about the way he butchers the English language. IMO he lacks the organizational and leadership skills, as well as the maturity, required for the position. Would you really want someone who is willing to leave his sick wife and kids at home just to go snowmobiling with his buddies as your supervisor?

One of the points brought up was how his co-workers would treat him if he were to be assigned to his current center as an ORS. We had an on-car (since retired) who drove for 15 years before making the move. He was well respected by both hourlies and management. He was not the fastest driver but he got the job done and was well liked by his customers. He also grew up with many of the drivers that he was now being asked to supervise. The transition was at first a bit difficult but over time he was able to re-gain their trust and respect. He was able to separate any personal feelings when he needed to discipline.

He is going through some major life changes and I agree with those who said it may not be best to make this major decision at this point in his life.

He is also correct when he says that there are going to be some major technological changes within the next 5 years. Orion 2.0 will update EDD throughout the day and 85% compliance will be a thing of the past. Telematics will be expanded to include the time spent in the cargo area and where/when the packages are scanned.

If it were me I would sit down with my center manager to see if he/she would let me take a personal day and "shadow" one of the on-cars for a day to get a glimpse of what they go through during a typical day.

It's a shame he chose not to post a poll along with this thread as I would have voted "stay where you are".
This coming from a guy that was turned down 3 times because of a "hiring freeze"

Re-Raise

I will take a little different angle on this than everyone else on this thread so far. I have absolutely no advice to give you.

It is a personal decision and I wish you luck.

The main reason I come to this site is to learn. I look forward to hearing how this works out for you, and I hope you will continue to post here as you make the jump.

We have very little insight into management's perception and most of the posters on here are hourly. You could be a valuable resource going forward.