PVD (beating a dead horse?)

scab_

Hey live how you want, just know one day none of us will be crying for you when you have nothing and are too old and poor to do anything for yourself. Because when you live just for today tomorrow is a nightmare. 🤷‍♂️
Thats where the other income streams come into play. Its mostly passive money. invested in a house at a young age gave me a solid head start. I have some commercial photography contracts and also get to work with athletes who are trying to live there dreams. I work hard and am doing better then many of my peers who have taken more traditional paths but its never easy or secure so a fast job like PVD that i can stash another 6k away on the mortgage in a month is nice. I recognize that it doesnt really play to your guys long term benefit either, but this is what I have to come to expect working for any modern megacorp.

On a sidenote, any of you ever get to ride one of those UPS ebikes i see in the marketing?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Thats where the other income streams come into play. Its mostly passive money. invested in a house at a young age gave me a solid head start. I have some commercial photography contracts and also get to work with athletes who are trying to live there dreams. I work hard and am doing better then many of my peers who have taken more traditional paths but its never easy or secure so a fast job like PVD that i can stash another 6k away on the mortgage in a month is nice. I recognize that it doesnt really play to your guys long term benefit either, but this is what I have to come to expect working for any modern megacorp.

On a sidenote, any of you ever get to ride one of those UPS ebikes i see in the marketing?
Only managers and PR folks ride the bicycles. No actual innovation has been made. I guess in the meantime everyone gets to enjoy their cars while it lasts, and it wont.

Whilst you are not a part of the union, you are taking union work away from workers hence you will see deducts for union dues. 👍🏻
Most PVD's are part of the union, we can and do sign up for the 401K program and after 6 months of service are buying UPS stock with the 5% discount. I've also read the union contract and current drivers are getting screwed when they pull packages for PVD's to deliver when it's not actual peak season. The new contract needs to address this and compensate the driver for the pulled packages with clock hours so it generates overtime if the drivers over 8/40.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Oh :censored2: it’s another preload millionaire
They are coming out of the woodwork

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Most PVD's are part of the union, we can and do sign up for the 401K program and after 6 months of service are buying UPS stock with the 5% discount. I've also read the union contract and current drivers are getting screwed when they pull packages for PVD's to deliver when it's not actual peak season. The new contract needs to address this and compensate the driver for the pulled packages with clock hours so it generates overtime if the drivers over 8/40.

How many PVD’s have worked 6 months in a row

PT Car Washer

Most PVD's are not Union. At least not in Republican controlled Right to Work states. All they do is take work and wages away from Union members.

HavenoEDD

PVDs ARE a bad idea. We don’t need more low paying jobs driving personal vehicles. We need more full time drivers in company vehicles.
We wouldn’t have a this issue if the company hired more drivers but this goes with all these drivers that try to make this full time job a part time one. The additional of PVDs saves paying for additional union jobs and PVDs wonder why some of us are salty towards them and I always tell them to read into it.
This job is unique and comes with a history of brothers and sisters fighting for their rights. For every PVD, that’s stops and routes taken from hard working full time drivers…but as long as kids get done at 530 nothing else matters. Sigh.

The Republicans said they don't have to pay Union dues but the Union still has to represent them.
As a PVD I am not represented by the union. I do not pay dues. None of the PVD in my area pay dues. After 6 months of continuous work, that'd be 2 years for a PVD, we are able to collect insurance, 401k, etc. Still, not able to be recognized by the union. If I have a problem with something going on then my "steward" is the HR department (funny I know). My job can be cut tomorrow with no notice or anything. I literally work opposite of what your union contract represents. I'm not guaranteed 8 hours (though I make sure I get my 8 hours in). Required to work Saturday even Sunday if asked. Sure there's the limit of 40 hours a week, really federal law put a limit of about 46 hours a week is the most an employer can force you to work by contract with an hourly wage employee, including overtime hours.

We are definitively not represented by the union here.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
As a PVD I am not represented by the union. I do not pay dues. None of the PVD in my area pay dues. After 6 months of continuous work, that'd be 2 years for a PVD, we are able to collect insurance, 401k, etc. Still, not able to be recognized by the union. If I have a problem with something going on then my "steward" is the HR department (funny I know). My job can be cut tomorrow with no notice or anything. I literally work opposite of what your union contract represents. I'm not guaranteed 8 hours (though I make sure I get my 8 hours in). Required to work Saturday even Sunday if asked. Sure there's the limit of 40 hours a week, really federal law put a limit of about 46 hours a week is the most an employer can force you to work by contract with an hourly wage employee, including overtime hours.

Are you making a statement as a "Manifesto" or just pointing out what we all know? The sooner you accept the lowly serf like servitude you have signed up for the easier it will be. Use your tools to neatly fashion the rut you will be in for the next several years. But don't forget to cheer those who are able to climb out of their rut thus giving you a glimmer of hope outside the ditch.

Oh yeah, Happy Holidays.🎅

Dewdewbrown

It's a direct violation of our contract and we did not want you guys here

That's the best way I can explain it
.........Yeah you guys are taking extra work away from union drivers. And it is extra work that we want- even though we will file a 9.5 grievance if they work us over 8 hours. Thats what 22.4's are for. Give them the extra work- even though we dont want that position either and will strike to prove it. Wait..I'm confused?????

Caddis74

New as a PVD. Really didn't know a thing about this site and just happened across it today looking up UPS stuff. Today was day 1. Let me say... I wish I would have known about some stuff like how the union works beforehand...

Mainly 1 question as it seems sentiments have changed over time as I have been reading on here.

How do I keep in good graces with the drivers? A few, of course, look at me like a scab and I did not understand it until reading posts here. Some seem to treat you like a human. In reality I knew this was a foot in the door and a seasonal position. I know my job ends abruptly. I want to have a decent "marking" on my employment with UPS in the eventuality I may sign for a warehouse position. Rural deliveries had less than 40 stops, 70 miles. Using a small 4door sedan with the back seat gutted.

What's the best help a PVD can be to you regular employees without stepping on toes, and still make myself feel I've accomplished something for the day?

Caddis74

You are nothing but a scab taking work away from union members! You do not belong here and you will never be welcome. Find another job scab!

Caddis74

hello sir. new scab here. wanted to answer this question. i have learned a lot about this position browsing this forum.

its a lifestyle thing for me. I view the corporates machine only has a means to a simple end, not something i would ever devote a career to. I work to live, and i live cheap when the weather is good and like to keep life simple. Very few low commitment jobs let me cram in so much income in such little time...

i dont care about your union battles (though i had to pay dues).,, but i think its cool you guys stand up for yourselfs. i dont care about the career path. i dont care about UPS, and to be honest i dont even really care with the lazy :censored2:s ordering 5 packages daily from amazon. they are the real scabs lol.

So ill be working 6 days a week 8+ hours a day this month to help my assigned driver in our wintery, unplowed and very steep hilled area. They are giving him 200+ stops a day and he is at 38 hours by Thursday morning and the forecast is for snow and freezing rain this week.. roads are decent so far. its gonna be a :censored2: show.

Why am I willing to work such a :censored2: job with no benefits? Its a la nina year and the snow is gonna be good. The 6-7 grand I make as a PVD this month while the snow pack builds up is gonna feed me and keep me skiing all season. In the summer I fish and ride bikes, some years i go to the wildfires. it keeps me in decent shape since every other house has a full flight of stairs up to the doors.

I also have a few other income sources where the work comes and goes in big chunks, so when i work I work hard then take off a few months and go play harder.
Get a real job scab!

Nah
You are nothing but a scab taking work away from union members! You do not belong here and you will never be welcome. Find another job scab!
Isn't it actually the company that's giving the work away? These PVDs meant no harm. Just trying to make a buck.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

690F0E38-4D70-4B5C-ABE6-86391377BDD2.jpeg