PVD vs. PT Air Driver

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My building has been on a non stop hiring frenzy for a couple years now and some days we are still short delivery drivers. Second question is who has preference for extra work, air exception drivers or PT air drivers?
I will never acknowledge either as a viable option, nor entertain grievances that validate the notion by establishing any sort of pecking order.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Who would you rather see delivering the volume? Dues paying Union members or contracted out to non union workers?
I will take third unlisted option....more full time drivers.

UPS negotiated the availability to add 25% more split scale, full-time 22.4 hybrid drivers in this contract and are woefully short of that number, a number that was supposed to have all RPCD's off Tuesday thru Saturday schedules by late October.

There has been no "hiring frenzies" here or in any local in my state (until it was too late).

The drivers are out there to hire, but UPS prefers to subsist from the Seasonal period to Vacation Replacement period, only hiring the bare minimum, then claiming "we exhausted all means".

....I call :bsbullf:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
There is always a pecking order.

I would think it shouldn't matter pt air driver or air exception driver. Both are part time, both qualified to drive, should be based on building seniority. If there was a seniority violation, grieve that, at the same time grieve the violation of proper staffing levels.

PT Car Washer

I would think it shouldn't matter pt air driver or air exception driver. Both are part time, both qualified to drive, should be based on building seniority. If there was a seniority violation, grieve that, at the same time grieve the violation of proper staffing levels.
Which is the way extra work had been awarded in the past but EAM drivers were wanting more work. Extra work like delivering 10:30 and 12:00 NDA commit packages that I have always done for over 20 years. Then with the pandemic there was plenty of ground work available at $37/hr. Somehow they convinced a Union steward and PDS that they should have preference for extra work. I choose not to fight so I could have the Summer free but am now thinking of challenging based on past practice and seniority (42 yrs). Violation of proper staffing may not fly as the company is hiring and training non stop 22.4 drivers and promoting some to regular drivers when there is an opening.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Which is the way extra work had been awarded in the past but EAM drivers were wanting more work. Extra work like delivering 10:30 and 12:00 NDA commit packages that I have always done for over 20 years. Then with the pandemic there was plenty of ground work available at $37/hr. Somehow they convinced a Union steward and PDS that they should have preference for extra work. I choose not to fight so I could have the Summer free but am now thinking of challenging based on past practice and seniority (42 yrs). Violation of proper staffing may not fly as the company is hiring and training non stop 22.4 drivers and promoting some to regular drivers when there is an opening.
I fully understand the semantics, but fear the precedence....🍻

Based on the fact presented, in this instance case, no precedence set....?

PT Car Washer

I fully understand the semantics, but fear the precedence....🍻

Based on the fact presented, in this instance case, no precedence set....?
So do I have a case for covering the extra work? BA said once the EAM drivers have delivered their EAM packages and have their 3 hour guarantee the 10:30 air is extra work. The EAM drivers are saying that they are present and available which I would agree if a Feeder driver brings in a NDA at the last minute but PDS has these air routes cut at 7AM. I also used to cover for the 22.3 air drivers during vacations.

PT Car Washer

Just so I understand this:

You are a red-circled pre-1982 PT employee. (car wash)

For some reason.... the company has allowed you to run air and ground, being paid at top rate. (for years) ?

If your job is @PT Car Washer (PM).... how are you available in the AM.... to run Air and ground pkgs ?

Help me out.
Correct except it was decades not just years. Also worked 6 days a week including all day on Saturday except when I had Drill weekend and then worked 7 days a week. Car Wash job is over around 9 to 10 PM leaving plenty of time off before air at 8 to 9 AM. Delivered for the Center that also controlled the car wash and of course they felt that service failures was more important then the car wash. Biggest problem is with new management that does not appreciate my decades of dedication and loyalty. Also with a few hourly people who would rather see the center fail while I try to see it succeed.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
So do I have a case on extra work in the AM?

You need to file a grievance.

It would be unfair for me to try and make a prediction, but your case would be based on past practice.

Did they give you a daily scheduled start time to run air in the AM ? Or, did you just show up ?

Or, was it a bid ? These type of questions could come up.

I am definitely in agreement with @Bubblehead.

But.... prior management let (or made) it happen and now the "new" guys are looking to reduce costs ?

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Up In Smoke

So do I have a case for covering the extra work? BA said once the EAM drivers have delivered their EAM packages and have their 3 hour guarantee the 10:30 air is extra work. The EAM drivers are saying that they are present and available which I would agree if a Feeder driver brings in a NDA at the last minute but PDS has these air routes cut at 7AM. I also used to cover for the 22.3 air drivers during vacations.
Is this NDA work available every day? We have grieved with some success to have that work bid into a permanent bid position when it was available for 30 days.

PT Car Washer

You need to file a grievance.

It would be unfair for me to try and make a prediction, but your case would be based on past practice.

Did they give you a daily scheduled start time to run air in the AM ? Or, did you just show up ?

Or, was it a bid ? These type of questions could come up.

I am definitely in agreement with @Bubblehead.

But.... prior management let (or made) it happen and now the "new" guys are looking to reduce costs ?

Best of luck.
PDS normally calls me between 7 and 7:30 when there is an extra air route that day. Or if one of the 22.3 drivers is on vacation I will cover that route for the week. This has been going on for many years and yes several more 22.3 jobs have been created which meant more vacation weeks to cover. It was just this Spring when we got a new PDS and he decided to use the EAM drivers to cover the extra work. They were present and available was I believe their argument.

Up In Smoke

PDS normally calls me between 7 and 7:30 when there is an extra air route that day. Or if one of the 22.3 drivers is on vacation I will cover that route for the week. This has been going on for many years and yes several more 22.3 jobs have been created which meant more vacation weeks to cover. It was just this Spring when we got a new PDS and he decided to use the EAM drivers to cover the extra work. They were present and available was I believe their argument.
Grievances are generally easy to win when in black and white. You are up against a past practice and the company's ability to run the business that's most cost efficient and fluid. Get a grievance in front of your BA and push to your satisfaction.

PT Car Washer

Grievances are generally easy to win when in black and white. You are up against a past practice and the company's ability to run the business that's most cost efficient and fluid. Get a grievance in front of your BA and push to your satisfaction.
Wouldn't past practice work in my favor? Wouldn't seniority be black and white? When has the company ran the business in a cost effeceint and fluid manner? And why did everything change with a new PDS?