PVD vs. PT Air Driver

Up In Smoke

Wouldn't past practice work in my favor? Wouldn't seniority be black and white? When has the company ran the business in a cost effeceint and fluid manner? And why did everything change with a new PDS?
Not sure why the change other than the PDS's laziness. Your best bet is past practice, but the company in my experience, can and will push the "right" to change business practices to best serve the customer. Get a grievance in before they have established a new past practice. The company is not required to hold work based on seniority.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
File on past practice.

PDS normally calls me between 7 and 7:30 when there is an extra air route that day.

It was just this Spring when we got a new PDS and he decided to use the EAM drivers to cover the extra work. They were present and available was I believe their argument.

Well.... that's why I have questions.

The company is not required to hold work based on seniority.

Yep.

That will be the "stumbling block".

-Bug-

jada miller

I'm a PT Air driver. I've been working 12.5 hrs every day for months, Till this week. 2 days I was told to stay home except for my air rout. I found out that both days they had PVD drivers working. I called the union who told me to file a grievance under Article 40 section 1 of the National. Pvd drivers are seasonal and shouldn't be worked before ANY union member. Pay me to sit, thats fine. I have a stack of grievance forms already filled out, just waiting for dates to be added.

542thruNthru

I'm a PT Air driver. I've been working 12.5 hrs every day for months, Till this week. 2 days I was told to stay home except for my air rout. I found out that both days they had PVD drivers working. I called the union who told me to file a grievance under Article 40 section 1 of the National. Pvd drivers are seasonal and shouldn't be worked before ANY union member. Pay me to sit, thats fine. I have a stack of grievance forms already filled out, just waiting for dates to be added.
May I ask where you are or what local you are?

BA told us the same thing about filling on the PVD drivers. Should be an automatic win. BA also told me that one of the EAM driver took to panel that he should have preference for extra work because he was present and available. He lost his grievance. Extra work is awarded by seniority. I am still blackballed for delivering air in the morning though.

FlipOldman

Jada Miller, I'm in the same boat as a PT Air Driver working an average of 55 hours a week. Does it bother you that we only get paid 4 hours for a sick/personal day, and 20 hours for a vacation week? At what point are we no longer considered "part-time"?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Jada Miller, I'm in the same boat as a PT Air Driver working an average of 55 hours a week. Does it bother you that we only get paid 4 hours for a sick/personal day, and 20 hours for a vacation week? At what point are we no longer considered "part-time"?

when you bid on and win a full time job

jada miller

Its crossed my mind a few times when I'm working 60hrs week. But considering how good I have it compared to others, im okay with it.
Go full time and kill my body or stay PT, take the 4hrs sick & 20 hrs vacation wk but get paid top rate with overtime every day on top of being able to say no on those days i need a brake with no recorse. Il take it.

Its crossed my mind a few times when I'm working 60hrs week. But considering how good I have it compared to others, im okay with it.
Go full time and kill my body or stay PT, take the 4hrs sick & 20 hrs vacation wk but get paid top rate with overtime every day on top of being able to say no on those days i need a brake with no recorse. Il take it.
It is a good job as long as the work is available. It is always feast or famine when driving air. We had PT air drivers last year that started to take the extra hours for granted and bought new cars and moved into nicer apartments. Then after Peak all of the extra work dried up and they found themselves trying to pay bills on 15 to 20 hrs a week of only air work. Of course then the pandemic hit and they have been working more hours then anyone really wants. Just remember that you are only guaranteed 3 hrs a day and plan accordingly.

That's why I never say "no" to extra work. Things are good now, and likely will be through peak at this rate. But then what?

Doing ground all week this week. More money in the bank.
I did that last year and grossed $85k and when you consider 7 weeks vacation paid at 20 hrs and Holidays and optional days paid at 4 hrs. I could have grossed close to $100k if I was FT.

FlipOldman

I'll have to look to look it up, but don't most states have a law that says you're full-time if you work more than 30 hours a week?

FlipOldman

Do the amount of hours you work factor into your pension? I'm wondering because things are so uncertain right now, and let's say the volume continues like this for the next several years. So I work 55 hours every week for years and then go to collect my pension and they say "It says here you're part-time. Here's your part-timers pension." I'd be pissed.

Do the amount of hours you work factor into your pension? I'm wondering because things are so uncertain right now, and let's say the volume continues like this for the next several years. So I work 55 hours every week for years and then go to collect my pension and they say "It says here you're part-time. Here's your part-timers pension." I'd be pissed.
I suppose it depends on which pension plan you are under. I am under the UPS PT pension and as long as you work a minimum of 750 hrs a year and there is no maximum for a good year of pension credit. I worked FT hours for years and I know I will receive a PT pension. It is all in how you play your cards.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If your part time you get a part time pension doesent matter how many hours you work