PVD

brownIEman

just started a pvd at our center. they have a PT sup from another center here training him. they did 38 rurals in 6 hours.

That's funny.

I spoke to a buddy I used to work with - he told me the PDS' in my Alma mater district were being told to send PVD routes out with 8 hour plan days.:rolleyes:

And this is what some of you ninnies think is going to be some nefarious Union busting plan by UPS. sheesh.

rod

Retired 22 years
That's funny.

I spoke to a buddy I used to work with - he told me the PDS' in my Alma mater district were being told to send PVD routes out with 8 hour plan days.:rolleyes:

And this is what some of you ninnies think is going to be some nefarious Union busting plan by UPS. sheesh.

You can't be in IE. IE people have no buddies. Both sides hate them.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That's funny.

Regardless, it is some b.s. that these drivers can come in their comfy vehicles and have 8-hour days of generally easy work. JMO

brownIEman

Regardless, it is some b.s. that these drivers can come in their comfy vehicles and have 8-hour days of generally easy work. JMO

Yeah but as opposed to what? Centers that double (or more) in volume during peak have always rented dozens or scores of comfy rentals for the seasonals. Are you are suggesting UPS should keep a double size fleet of PCs with half of it mothballed all year outside peak and keep a double size staff of FT drivers on payroll and keep half sidelined outside peak? That sounds to me like a recipe for UPS delivering more packages more quickly than ever during peak...and losing money on every single one.

And if they are being dispatched with an 8 hour plan and trying to work that out of some sort of van... I can assure you that is not going to be 8 hours of easy work. Most of them are going to be frustrated no end when they get to the 12th hour of that 8 hour day and 2 driver helper teams have to come take the second half of their day. JMO.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah but as opposed to what? Centers that double (or more) in volume during peak have always rented dozens or scores of comfy rentals for the seasonals. Are you are suggesting UPS should keep a double size fleet of PCs with half of it mothballed all year outside peak and keep a double size staff of FT drivers on payroll and keep half sidelined outside peak? That sounds to me like a recipe for UPS delivering more packages more quickly than ever during peak...and losing money on every single one.

And if they are being dispatched with an 8 hour plan and trying to work that out of some sort of van... I can assure you that is not going to be 8 hours of easy work. Most of them are going to be frustrated no end when they get to the 12th hour of that 8 hour day and 2 driver helper teams have to come take the second half of their day. JMO.
UPS does not bring in rentals exclusively for "seasonals"; for seasonal WORK yes. As to your other points, I don't really disagree. And yeah, there will be some major failures - but there will also be gunners who do the job inappropriately , off 8 hours of work in 6 - hand off work to friends and family (lol) and all of the other negatives regarding service, follow-ups and etc.. and most of the points have already been touched on in other threads.

Not only is it sub-contracting but it sub-contracts the compact and light work in easy areas. A kick in the you know what to senior drivers

brownIEman

UPS does not bring in rentals exclusively for "seasonals"; for seasonal WORK yes. As to your other points, I don't really disagree. And yeah, there will be some major failures - but there will also be gunners who do the job inappropriately , off 8 hours of work in 6 - hand off work to friends and family (lol) and all of the other negatives regarding service, follow-ups and etc.. and most of the points have already been touched on in other threads.

Not only is it sub-contracting but it sub-contracts the compact and light work in easy areas. A kick in the you know what to senior drivers

I suppose different areas run different ways. Centers in my district gave the rentals to the seasonals - If I tried putting a FT driver in a rental he'd be likely to kick me in the you know what. Yeah, they have AC and better heat and a radio but make for sucky resi running ( I know from experience). I honestly can't remember putting a FT driver in a rental unless it was a one off act of desperation - that would just be too much of a waste of an experienced driver. We gave our seasonals most of the Business and heavy bulk like surepost. The learning curve was just too steep with seasonals who had a hard enough time figuring out the DIAD much less a ton of resi neighborhood ins and outs.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I suppose different areas run different ways. Centers in my district gave the rentals to the seasonals - If I tried putting a FT driver in a rental he'd be likely to kick me in the you know what. Yeah, they have AC and better heat and a radio but make for sucky resi running ( I know from experience). I honestly can't remember putting a FT driver in a rental unless it was a one off act of desperation - that would just be too much of a waste of an experienced driver. We gave our seasonals most of the Business and heavy bulk like surepost. The learning curve was just too steep with seasonals who had a hard enough time figuring out the DIAD much less a ton of resi neighborhood ins and outs.
For the most part yeah, you are right. We do have air drivers (FT and PT) in rentals as well. Been there done that, obviously have no clue whether that goes on elsewhere.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
If I tried putting a FT driver in a rental he'd be likely to kick me in the you know what. Yeah, they have AC and better heat and a radio but make for sucky resi running

I love running routes out of rentals for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Our rentals are put on extended routes that usually go out with 35-60 stops. I literally have to talk myself out of quitting when I get stuck in-town during peak.