PVD

brownIEman

I love running routes out of rentals for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Our rentals are put on extended routes that usually go out with 35-60 stops. I literally have to talk myself out of quitting when I get stuck in-town during peak.

I can see that on a high ratio windshield time route.
In '13 I was part of a ready team that dug OKC out from an ice storm just before Christmas. I ran a tight suburban resi route of about 160-170 stops out of a U-haul. The kicker was because the building was too small for the number of routes we were running we had to run a second preload and did not leave the building till about 13:00. If your center ever asks you to do something like that, ask if the guy that gets his fingernails pulled out one by one position is already taken. I would have jumped at it had it been available... :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I suppose different areas run different ways. Centers in my district gave the rentals to the seasonals - If I tried putting a FT driver in a rental he'd be likely to kick me in the you know what. Yeah, they have AC and better heat and a radio but make for sucky resi running ( I know from experience). I honestly can't remember putting a FT driver in a rental unless it was a one off act of desperation - that would just be too much of a waste of an experienced driver. We gave our seasonals most of the Business and heavy bulk like surepost. The learning curve was just too steep with seasonals who had a hard enough time figuring out the DIAD much less a ton of resi neighborhood ins and outs.

Our center does the same------seasonals in U-Haul delivering Walmart, Target, the Post Office, etc.----stops that are easy to do and that allow the bid driver to concentrate on his/her work.

I normally lose Walmart, GameStop and the college. Save me at least an hour and gives the preloader room to properly load the car.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Whatever....I will be gone in less than a year and you and Bug will be trying to save a union that is clearly on life support.
And no wonder . Those who could and should support the union have not .
I have been out 8 years but , what I know locally and read and hear about nationally , there has never been a time when there as been so company sucks in the rank and file .
There is no honor in weakness .

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Good, let em fail. PVD's need to go away.

I hope the PVD program fails but I feel bad for the folks who are just trying to make a little extra jing for the holidays. Guy gets stuck he is on the hook for everything. UPS won't even call a tow truck for him. We go get his packages and he has to find a way to get a tow. There goes his pay for the week.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I hope the PVD program fails but I feel bad for the folks who are just trying to make a little extra jing for the holidays. Guy gets stuck he is on the hook for everything. UPS won't even call a tow truck for him. We go get his packages and he has to find a way to get a tow. There goes his pay for the week.
Well I don't hope they get stuck or lose money, I just hope Ups realized the idea is not going to work.

But I asked my sup today how they pay the PVDs and apparently they are guaranteed 8 hours a day, $18.75 wage, $.50 a mile and that's actual miles, not projected miles. They should be raking in the money!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Well I don't hope they get stuck or lose money, I just hope Ups realized the idea is not going to work.

But I asked my sup today how they pay the PVDs and apparently they are guaranteed 8 hours a day, $18.75 wage, $.50 a mile and that's actual miles, not projected miles. They should be raking in the money!

I had no idea they were guaranteed 8hrs.