PVD

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That is why the wording in the contract is going to be so IMPORTANT!!! The company can not think that they will be able to move all the packages using PVD's. No one in Atlanta is that dense!

They will not even be able to move just the airs either.

Pilots will probably honor our strike and will not fly, if it ever comes to that.

Atlanta knows that.

I see it being seasonal now with UPS trying to work it in in future contracts for other than seasonal, similar to the vacation replacement language.

The problem being is how are PVD's going to deliver bulk business, or even any business, out of a car, or even light duty, non-commercial pick up.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I don't like the idea any more than anyone else does, but, if these are "seasonal" UPS employees, as described in Article 1 Section 1 of the Central Region Supplement, how can you say it is subcontracting?

Ahhh, that's their loophole

That is why the wording in the contract is going to be so IMPORTANT!!!

Agreed, your teamster leadership better have the common sense like you two or the race to the bottom is one rung lower

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I don't like the idea any more than anyone else does, but, if these are "seasonal" UPS employees, as described in Article 1 Section 1 of the Central Region Supplement, how can you say it is subcontracting?

We hire seasonals every year and put them in a brown truck, by themselves. The Central does not say they have to drive a brown truck, does it?

I am by no means for this, but, contractually, I don't see an issue unless they use them after January 15.

If H&H won't do anything about it, I don't see that we can locally.
No, but I think that Article 18 of the Master might???....

....or at least a suitable rental.

Lots of language about the vehicles we drive and how they are to be maintained.

Not sure someone's 2001 Chevy Astro Van fits the bill.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
No, but I think that Article 18 of the Master might???....

....or at least a suitable rental.

Lots of language about the vehicles we drive and how they are to be maintained.

Not sure someone's 2001 Chevy Astro Van fits the bill.

Not bad.

Although Article 18 starts off by saying the employer will not "require" an employee.......

If the employee agrees to drive it, as long as it is not red tagged, does Article 18 still apply?

Does Article 18 apply to employees driving their personal vehicles?

If you recall, Article 40 even has a provision for air drivers driving their personal vehicles.

But keep up the good work. We need to keep these PVD's from operating outside of "seasonal."

Rack em

Made the Podium
Not bad.

Although Article 18 starts off by saying the employer will not "require" an employee.......

If the employee agrees to drive it, as long as it is not red tagged, does Article 18 still apply?

Does Article 18 apply to employees driving their personal vehicles?

If you recall, Article 40 even has a provision for air drivers driving their personal vehicles.

But keep up the good work. We need to keep these PVD's from operating outside of "seasonal."
We don't need them being seasonal either!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Are you forgetting about the "vacation replacement" period in the Central Region Supplement?

If we accept "seasonals", what argument will forbid these "vacation replacement" drivers being used in the same manner all summer long?

Couple the two periods and you're talking about over half the year.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We don't need them being seasonal either!

No we don't. But contractually, we may not be able to stop it.

Are you forgetting about the "vacation replacement" period in the Central Region Supplement?

Nope. Read back a few posts.

If we accept "seasonals", what argument will forbid these "vacation replacement" drivers being used in the same manner all summer long?

We already have language covering vacation replacements.

The Teamsters would have to agree to a change in that language.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yea, no chance they will slip in a few commercial stops to eliminate a route or two.

What's there to stop them?

Any chance this rhetoric was only thrown out there to soften us up?

Seasonal deliver business stops.

PVD's would just be doing it in their car instead of a UPS truck.

I think we need to focus on how to strictly keep them seasonal, if we can't stop them altogether.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Seasonal deliver business stops.

PVD's would just be doing it in their car instead of a UPS truck.

I think we need to focus on how to strictly keep them seasonal, if we can't stop them altogether.
WhAt are we going to get in return.... that is the question!!!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I totally agree with this. At the very least, they should pay dues and be forced

to provide proof of additional auto insurance to be legal doing this.

WhAt are we going to get in return.... that is the question!!!

Call me the eternal pessimist.... but I can't see how this would be that high

of a priority for the company. If it is, they should pay dearly for it.

-Bug-

Delivered

UPS clearly is not concerned with the possibility of having grievances filed on PVDs. How do you put a value on the information & data that UPS will gather?

When we all know it will be used, in the event the Teamsters ever have the courage to strike the company again.

Attachments

• sPVDs.png
    sPVDs.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 126

brownIEman

UPS clearly is not concerned with the possibility of having grievances filed on PVDs. How do you put a value on the information & data that UPS will gather?

When we all know it will be used, in the event the Teamsters ever have the courage to strike the company again.

I am curious, what data do you think UPS will gather from using seasonal drivers in their personal vehicles?

Box Ox

So @cheryl posted this article over in UPS headlines. It’s mainly focused on automation. But it also provides additional indication from David Abney on where the Company probably wants to push during contract negotiations.

1) PVDs will be used to maximize the profitability of business to consumer (residential) volume.

“UPS has focused on making temporary workers more effective and better able to handle more packages, including using technology that allows drivers to utilize cell phones as delivery devices for their routes. These initiatives have been key for the company as volume in the business-to-consumer category, which has been a less profitable business than business-to-business, rises exponentially.”

2) UPS will quickly expand PVD use since it’d rather be the disruptor than the disrupted if there’s a PVD boom.

“Abney added that UPS has strong barriers to entry and remains committed to advancing its business, something that’s come under scrutiny after reports that Amazon is developing its own delivery service. “We’re not standing still,” Abney said. “If anyone is going to significantly change or disrupt our business, we want it to be us.”