PVD

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Look @BigUnionGuy, I get it about the negotiations and the proposals.
I don't condone negotiating this contract on the docks and understand the discretion necessary for those at the table, once they are at the table.

But, to pretend that a "two man" meeting of every local in the country would yield confidentiality is ludicrous at best....

....and a setup at the worst.

In the end, my only point in referencing this "two man" meeting,, was that you hinted that some information about the PVD's, in regards to the issue under the present contract, would come out of this meeting.

Is there a plan being formulated, other than filing grievances, that will only serve to document the problem for the following years?

Over70irregs

Hard to argue about PVD's when you are hat in hand over the pensions. Not seeing the overall plan of even having the threat of a strike when there is no money to pay any one who walks. Hard to negotiate from a position of weakness. Especially with this political climate and anti worker rights movement. I'm still saving $ just in case though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hard to argue about PVD's when you are hat in hand over the pensions. Not seeing the overall plan of even having the threat of a strike when there is no money to pay any one who walks. Hard to negotiate from a position of weakness. Especially with this political climate and anti worker rights movement. I'm still saving $ just in case though.

One has nothing to do with the other. The strike fund is a completely separate pool of money to be used specifically during a work stoppage.

If there were to be a work stoppage it would be a very short one-----one day nation wide would be all that it would take to send the message that we do not want our work to be subcontracted.

Over70irregs

One has nothing to do with the other. The strike fund is a completely separate pool of money to be used specifically during a work stoppage.

If there were to be a work stoppage it would be a very short one-----one day nation wide would be all that it would take to send the message that we do not want our work to be subcontracted.

What about the pension shortage as a trade off for wink wink, look the other way excuse? Forgive me If I sound cynical. Being lied to daily in pcms and union shenanigans has me not in the most trusting disposition.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2017-10-21_11-40-49.png

Coldworld

60 months and counting
What is Hoffa prepared to do about it???...

....aside from making "information requests"???

Teamsters Package Division Opposes New UPS “Seasonal Personal Vehicle Driver” Classification - UPS Rising

This comprehensive, three sentence article you linked is a month old, with no other information disseminated.

Can you see how the already cynical, are now turning skeptical???

-Pfft- (I recently figure out what that means and have been dying to use it):wink-very:

~Bbbl~™
Bubble, don't you find it interesting that we can give millions of packages to the post office to deliver every year and there is barely anything said, but now everybody (even the mgt suckups) are all up in arms about a bunch of uber wantabees to deliver a few scraps here and there??? Where was this outrage when we let non teamsters contractors (usps) deliver ups packages???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I had the beaded cover in my package car for a while until it fell apart. I liked it.
All the beads fell out while you were driving, and you just kept on trucking... kinda like when all of the trash blows out the van out the drivers door....

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
ARTICLE 32. SUBCONTRACTING

"For the purpose of preserving work and job opportunities for the employees covered by this Agreement, the Employer agrees that no work or services of the kind, nature or type, and including new operations or buildings, covered by, presently performed, or hereafter assigned to the collective bargaining unit will be subcontracted, transferred, leased, assigned or conveyed in whole or in part to any other plant, person or non-unit employees, unless otherwise provided in this Agreement. The Employer may not subcontract work in any classification for the purpose of avoiding overtime. The Employer may not subcontract work in any classification if any employee who normally performs such work is on layoff."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

Once your grievance has been filed.... you Local will need to send a letter to

the Labor Dept, requesting that info. Pretty standard stuff.

-Bug-

I don't like the idea any more than anyone else does, but, if these are "seasonal" UPS employees, as described in Article 1 Section 1 of the Central Region Supplement, how can you say it is subcontracting?

We hire seasonals every year and put them in a brown truck, by themselves. The Central does not say they have to drive a brown truck, does it?

I am by no means for this, but, contractually, I don't see an issue unless they use them after January 15.

If H&H won't do anything about it, I don't see that we can locally.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
I just want, no demand is a better word, to know if UPS is making contributions to the teamster pension funds and the H&W funds for each hour of these PVD drivers. Hell, does UPS make these payments to the union for all seasonal workers? If so and they are only used from Thanksgiving until Christmas (with no bleed over into January and February) I am not as concerned.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
PVDs will be called up if the Company pushes for big Contract concessions and the Union tries to strike. And they’ll make sure the Union knows that next year.

And I definitely wouldn’t count on them remaining seasonal.

That is why the wording in the contract is going to be so IMPORTANT!!! The company can not think that they will be able to move all the packages using PVD's. No one in Atlanta is that dense!