Q1-2020 / MIP Status Update

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
What he said is very accurate, there is a huge swath of UPS ft sups who have no drive, or ability, to do the job anywhere close to correct

I agree. Since someone took a shot at ORION in this thread, this is the major reason ORION often fails. I've seen ORION work very well, but if the underlying map data is not maintained and the route parameters are not set up and maintained appropriately for each route, it fails miserably.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I agree. Since someone took a shot at ORION in this thread, this is the major reason ORION often fails. I've seen ORION work very well, but if the underlying map data is not maintained and the route parameters are not set up and maintained appropriately for each route, it fails miserably.

that’s top secret info your spreading around

UPSER1987

But...it doesn’t work well when planned route numbers vary so much during the week. One dispatch Sup in a 100 car center will never ever have enough time in the day to maintain map data and route parameters. The system is definitely not user friendly. It must be maintained DAILY even under the most ideal of conditions. So, thus far, it is a failure.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
But...it doesn’t work well when planned route numbers vary so much during the week. One dispatch Sup in a 100 car center will never ever have enough time in the day to maintain map data and route parameters. The system is definitely not user friendly. It must be maintained DAILY even under the most ideal of conditions. So, thus far, it is a failure.

I agree with you that it has failed. The implementation was not staffed anywhere near sufficiently. The training and support for the people using the software was and is completely lacking. Also, the underlying ORION algorithm expects reasonably consistent routes from day to day. 7 day delivery has fundamentally changed the problem ORION tries to solve. UPS will tweak the algorithm with every release, but they will never catch up. If it hasn't already morphed into a unusable mess, it will soon.

I have seen ORION work incredibly well in a well-staffed, well-trained environment where the routes were fairly consistent from day to day. Since those conditions no longer exist anywhere in UPS - I agree with you. ORION is a failure.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
I agree with you that it has failed. The implementation was not staffed anywhere near sufficiently. The training and support for the people using the software was and is completely lacking. Also, the underlying ORION algorithm expects reasonably consistent routes from day to day. 7 day delivery has fundamentally changed the problem ORION tries to solve. UPS will tweak the algorithm with every release, but they will never catch up. If it hasn't already morphed into a unusable mess, it will soon.

I have seen ORION work incredibly well in a well-staffed, well-trained environment where the routes were fairly consistent from day to day. Since those conditions no longer exist anywhere in UPS - I agree with you. ORION is a failure.
Pretty sure that orions way of group sorting the stops is flawed. That was from the get go. Not sure how you fix something that was designed a certain way. And was built around that design. Other then completely replacing it.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Yeah, you're right. We don't do crap.
I didn't say that, but if the average driver would focus on their work and not trying to avoid work, we'd all be better off

While a 100 car center is girthy, the PDS job isnt that hard if you're an organized and not * person

The REAL problem is unless a manager/DM was a PDS, they have zero appreciation for how much that role affects things, so they dump their fat, lazy, or stupid sups in the job

Then they're just confused as hell as to why their ops seem to get worse and worse over time, and then why the drivers start to lay down because they're sick of the :censored2:ty dispatch

Last edited by a moderator:

Ou812fu

I didn't say that, but if the average driver would focus on their work and not trying to avoid work, we'd all be better off

While a 100 car center is girthy, the PDS job isnt that hard if you're an organized and not * person

The REAL problem is unless a manager/DM was a PDS, they have zero appreciation for how much that role affects things, so they dump their fat, lazy, or stupid sups in the job

Then they're just confused as hell as to why their ops seem to get worse and worse over time, and then why the drivers start to lay down because they're sick of the :censored2:ty dispatch
How about put back in to plan actual feasible allowed times. I think you would see a better return. Not to mention when Orion 3 update comes out. Over allowed is going way up in every center.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
How about put back in to plan actual feasible allowed times.
Hate to tell you, but Corporate is automating On Road Work Measurement even more, it's being taken from the Districts and put completely at a Corp level

In person time studies will never happen again

Ou812fu

Hate to tell you, but Corporate is automating On Road Work Measurement even more, it's being taken from the Districts and put completely at a Corp level

In person time studies will never happen again
Could care less about in person time studies. We all know the numbers are doctored anyways.

UPSER1987

Well in our building, the pds is expected to help out on the preload, which is *. So both the dispatch and preload suck.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Well in our building, the pds is expected to help out on the preload, which is *. So both the dispatch and preload suck.
Sounds like a garbage podunk center, I'm sorry for you

A smart center manager would invest in a quality dispatch and preload, and not terrible OMS, then he could roll with less on roads and go home at 3 cuz everything runs like clockwork

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

A smart center manager would invest in a quality dispatch and preload, and not terrible OMS, then he could roll with less on roads and go home at 3 cuz everything runs like clockwork

He’s going home at 3 regardless. place could be on fire as he’s walkingout. call me if you need to

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
What time does the manager come in?

That division has more problems then just the manager and PDS for that center.......
center manager and ors both come in at 7am. We have part time oms gals who work WAY more hours. Again.... please explain that 6 figure income.

1E1708E9-10EB-4A5E-96F0-314B0B2509A2.jpeg

UPSER1987

Its not podunk, it’s a 100 car center....and the OMS‘ are terrible. It’s a guaranteed 12 hour work day.