Qualifying during contract change

Robretro

A buddy of mine starts qualifying in a few weeks. The contract will expire before he is done. Will he be grandfathered in under the old one or have to switch to the new one?
Also I will qualify in a few months if all goes well, so I will be under the new contract? Trying to sort it out. Nobody around here gives a straight answer.

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
Go part time cover driver first. That way you are at 85% of top rate and do not have to qualify when you move to full time. If you go part time first and hate it you can just come back in the hub if full time you are out of luck.

If this contract is like the rest the date of transfer will control which progression. I do not see the 4 year changing so it should not matter.

DriverNerd

Every contract has wording for these situations. The contracts are pretty clear, the new one will outline exactly how he is to be paid.

Example:
"Full-time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the above contractual increases. They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with Article 41, Section 2 below..."

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It's usually based on the date you gained seniority. Once you qualify, your seniority date as a driver will be your first day of integrad. As such, assuming you start training before July 31st, your progression should be per this current contract. If they extend the progression in the new contract (likely) you'll be happy. If they shorten it (unlikely) you'll be pissed, just like the rest of us. If you start training after July 31st, your progression will be per the new contract, and just swap the appropriate parts of the last two sentences.

opaitzdoni

It's usually based on the date you gained seniority. Once you qualify, your seniority date as a driver will be your first day of integrad. As such, assuming you start training before July 31st, your progression should be per this current contract. If they extend the progression in the new contract (likely) you'll be happy. If they shorten it (unlikely) you'll be :censored2:, just like the rest of us. If you start training after July 31st, your progression will be per the new contract, and just swap the appropriate parts of the last two sentences.

So I started training this week. Am I qualified for the old contract or new??

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So I started training this week. Am I qualified for the old contract or new??

Qualified is a different issue. You were hired as a driver under this contract, so your progression will follow this contract's progression. If you don't qualify and go back to inside, or are terminated (depending on if you were and inside or off the street hire) this is all moot. That's the way it works where I am, but could be different where you are. Talk to a steward or your BA to get the answer that applies to your situation.

opaitzdoni

Qualified is a different issue. You were hired as a driver under this contract, so your progression will follow this contract's progression. If you don't qualify and go back to inside, or are terminated (depending on if you were and inside or off the street hire) this is all moot. That's the way it works where I am, but could be different where you are. Talk to a steward or your BA to get the answer that applies to your situation.

Im a off the street hire. My first day as a driver will be tomorrow and I have to make 40 days in 70....

kramer

It's usually based on the date you gained seniority. Once you qualify, your seniority date as a driver will be your first day of integrad. As such, assuming you start training before July 31st, your progression should be per this current contract. If they extend the progression in the new contract (likely) you'll be happy. If they shorten it (unlikely) you'll be :censored2:, just like the rest of us. If you start training after July 31st, your progression will be per the new contract, and just swap the appropriate parts of the last two sentences.
Is the 1st day of integrad across the board for all unions, or certain areas. Im in the southern region in texas and understood it was your first day driving, not firat day of integrad

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Is the 1st day of integrad across the board for all unions, or certain areas. Im in the southern region in texas and understood it was your first day driving, not firat day of integrad

I don't have an answer for that. Check with your BA or steward. Your pay check should give you an idea about the answer. If you were paid the driver starting wage during integrad, it means UPS changed your code to full time driver, which is why your seniority should follow suit. If you fail to qualify, though, you don't make seniority.

Hadjabear

So much misinformation on this forum, does anyone read the current contract, there is language in current contract that says fulltime employees still in progression will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance to 41 section 2. There has been no info released that says that would go away.

During last contract anyone in the 3 year progression said 3 years. If it had been reduced to less that would be entitled to it based on that language.

No way to union would allow someone with less seniority to make more than someone with more senoirty.

So much misinformation on this forum, does anyone read the current contract, there is language in current contract that says fulltime employees still in progression will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance to 41 section 2. There has been no info released that says that would go away.

During last contract anyone in the 3 year progression said 3 years. If it had been reduced to less that would be entitled to it based on that language.

No way to union would allow someone with less seniority to make more than someone with more senoirty.
It actually halhappe last contract. New drivers made a little more than drivers hired on the Pryor contract. But they also had a 4 year progression instead of 3