Question about seniority and light duty workers

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Matteranci, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Matteranci

Matteranci New Member

Can a unloader with less seniority bump me out of my preferred position in smalls because he told sup he thinks he has a hernia and wants to work small sort? Sup then says that I would have to unload since there is no one else to take his place. Can I greive this?

2. unloady

unloady Active Member

Not sure exactly. I have 3.5 years seniority and have alwats been in unload. Was told that i was being switched to become a preloader even though the majority of unloaders in my area have a year or less. I argued that i had the righg to be in unload and i was fired. Seniority doesnt matter i guess.

3. Matteranci

Matteranci New Member

Wow, that's even worse. They wanted to move you to another shift and fired you for refusing? That doesn't sound right, I know you could fight that if you wanted to.

4. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Grieve it.

The supe can't make accommodations because the employee "thinks" he has a hernia.

If he does have a hernia, UPS should be sending him in for a "fitness for duty" exam.

He can't bump you if have more seniority and are in a preferred position anyway.

-Bug-

5. unloady

unloady Active Member

That is exactly what i told my manager and my shop steward sided with her. I guess our local is weak.

6. john chesney

john chesney Well-Known Member

If he’s on TAW I say yes

7. km3

km3 Well-Known Member

Or your steward is weak. Bad stewards don't imply a bad local though...

8. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

BS

Do you know anything about TAW ?

9. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

Obviously he doesn't

10. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

You have to be seen by a company doctor to be approved for up to 29 days of TAW.

11. john chesney

john chesney Well-Known Member

Ya a little bit. I was on it twice. Had a couple cases when I was union President. Listened to some at panel and maybe JAC I don’t remember

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  12. Matteranci

Matteranci New Member

Thanks for the input everyone, I called my local and got it sorted out. I appreciate all of your responses.