Question about unpaid time off

P

pretender

From time to time, various people have mentioned that they took a day off because there was extra help in their center...

It is my opinion that the time off should be offered to drivers in order of their seniority. Otherwise, the only fair way would be to lay off the lowest seniority drivers.

Is this the way it is typically handled, or is it based on other criteria--such as taking turns, or the willingness of someone to cover your route?

Is there any contractual language that addresses this?

Thanks!

S

switchoff

How it works in my center is that there is almost always someone calling in 1 hour before their start time to see if they can take the day off. It's kind of first call, first serve.

D

dannyboy

Usually by seniority. Yes it is covered under the contract.

But also there is the area knowledge that has to be taken into account when getting a day off. IF you want a day off and no one there knows your area, it is rare for a sup to take a new driver out on your area just for you to get a day off.

And with the rest of the drivers agreeing, rotation when getting a day off is also possible, but the senior drivers would all have to agree to allow it to happen.

d

S

sendagain6160

In my center we always have layoffs.It is always offered to the senior people first.This would keep the lower personel from losing a few days a week.Also you would not have to burn a sick day.

P

pretender

Thanks--Basically the same here. That area knowledge thing is a big damper...

O

ok2bclever

It is possible in danny's contract it is that way, but it isn't in the national, nor in Central Supplement.

Officially, they are to lay off from the bottom of the seniority list, period.

Days off by seniority are only for Optional days, vacations, etc.

That said, most locals work with their staffing to accomodate unofficial requested days off and by seniority would be the logical and least likely way to do so without making waves.

However, if push comes to shove and someone wants to force this issue it would revert back to lowest seniority manditorily layed off.

That would make the employee pushing the issue reeeeeeal popular.
thumbsup.gif

W

wily_old_vet

In our center if they had extra drivers a higher seniority driver would be allowed to go home before the junior driver. Of course some times the supes would hide a cover driver if they didn't want them to cover the route of a senior driver asking to be off.

T

trickpony1

"....some times the supes would hide a cover driver...." would this constitute dishonesty by management?

F

feguy

"Is there any contractual language that addresses this?"
uhhh...yeah. The company and union are prohibited from entering into any "extra-contractual" agreements.
Layoffs (for whatever reason) are done by reverse seniority order.
Grieve it any and every time it's done any other way. If the company and union violate this, than they are free to violate any provision of our contract.

O

over9five

And the "area knowledge" thing is a non issue. Shouldn't matter. They send cover drivers out blind all the time.

T

toonertoo

It is all a convienence issue, to the management favor. They can bury a cover if they want, how would we know til the next day, if you had time to look and see who ran what , or if that info is available. I find the op reports are like the lost sea scrolls at certain times. They know we dont have the ability to track who did what. I have questioned drivers who seem to be on the way out in the am, but after we leave its hard to tell, or they will tell us they got sent to another center. Yes right, sure he did. I have pretty good luck when I need a day, but I have seen others not fair as well.
Sick days here doesnt come into the mixture, as we dont have sick days, and most of us never get ill, hmmmmmmmmmmmm
You must call off presumed to be almost dead.

(Message edited by toonertoo on September 09, 2005)

(Message edited by toonertoo on September 09, 2005)