Question being a seasonal full time package driver and getting perm

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by aronupsme, Dec 18, 2016.

1. aronupsme

aronupsme New Member

so obviously im new to this but this is my first time doing seasonal driving and wondering where i stand in terms of completing my packages on time or if im behind compared to others.. they started me doing just commercials with a couple pick ups and slowly after a week and a half got me to doing a lot of packages (at least to me) for about 2 weeks now ive been averaging 250 stops with 500 packages with no pick ups now.. I do about 80-90 commercial deliveries with 200+ packages and completing in about 4 hours then taking out a second truck loaded with about 160 residentals in all i finish in about 10-11 hours. am I doing well compared to others numbers? my supervisor came up to me once and told me i was doing a good job and quick but idk if he was just lieing to me. I want to be a perm driver and my center has hired a seasonal driver to perm just recently. any answers would be greatly appreciated!

2. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

You are toast as of Saturday.

3. haller

haller Well-Known Member

Pick up the pace.

4. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Seasonals can work the first two weeks of January.

5. aronupsme

aronupsme New Member

thanks for that but that wasnt really my question. did you read the question?

6. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Do you ever look at the reports to see if you are running over or under the standards?

7. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

No, but why worry about this job anyway? It's over soon.

8. The Driver

The Driver I drive.

Not for everyone. Most though. I was seasonal and got called back that following spring to go for seniority.

9. aronupsme

aronupsme New Member

No I haven't. I don't no where to look for that. I'll ask though, thanks.

10. Over 70

Over 70 Active Member

I wouldn't worry about numbers. Just don't hit anything, do your best and the chips will fall where they may.

11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

They have not posted our OR or Telematics since Peak started.

To the OP----your performance will weigh heavily in their decision as to whether to call you back or sever ties completely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. aronupsme

aronupsme New Member

Good way to look at it, I just get curious with how well im performing. None of the sups or management really tells you and im coming in blind off the streets doing this so im just trying to get a general idea of where i stand.

13. UpstateNYUPSer

Here's a thought---ask them.

14. 11HourRequest

11HourRequest Active Member

But that would put people outside of their "comfort zone"

15. StoptheAct1212

StoptheAct1212 Active Member

Its a toss-up, if your super luck you get hired off the street. We hate it..... but after a few years you will fit right in...

16. UpstateNYUPSer

Tough :censored2:.

17. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

If our OR or telematics reports had ever been "posted" in my center, it would have been immediately grieved.

However, if anyone cared, they would just walk in the office in the morning and picked it up off the desk.

18. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Director of Shenanigans

Why get a perm? This went out in the late 80's......

IMG_0621.JPG

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

Awww. Isn't that cute.

20. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

If the center where you are working just hired someone off the street, chances are you have no chance of being permanent after peak.

As far as how you are doing, only someone in your center can answer that. Routes are different all over the country. Really hard to compare. I do 180 stops, 130 miles and that is a 10+ hour day.