question for pretzel regarding signature allowance

brown bomber

brown bomber
So, I'm supposed to DR a Bose Wave Radio....or a Bose surround-sound system, just because a SIG is not required........I don't think so
whatever happened to using JUDGEMENT

Coldworld

60 months and counting
So, I'm supposed to DR a Bose Wave Radio....or a Bose surround-sound system, just because a SIG is not required........I don't think so
whatever happened to using JUDGEMENT

That would be a nono...good call on your part. You can bet that if you left that and it was "taken" off a porch, even off of a rear patio in the backyard they would want you to try to pay for it almost guaranteed. In the end it is your judgement. I think most small parcels can be hidden well behing a pot or something near the door.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Unless things have changed significantly, they are blowing smoke.

The systems do not work that way. The systems that calculate planned time do not know if you got a signature because the package said signature required or if you got a signature when you could have DR'd the package.

This just does not sound correct.

As you know, its quicker to DR a package instead of getting a signature. The vast majority of our drivers do a great job in determining when to appropriately DR and when to get a signature.

Unfortunately, some get signatures when a DR was the correct decision.

I do not condone misleading all drivers because a small group do things inappropriately.

P-Man

P-Man
ok,, i dug a litte deeper today,, i was told by many in management that a majority of the offending routes (those that got too many sigs at good dr locations) lost there sig allowance,,completly,, even for business or sig required pkgs.. every stop gets a designated allowance regardless . does this make sense to you Pman?

pretzel_man

ok,, i dug a litte deeper today,, i was told by many in management that a majority of the offending routes (those that got too many sigs at good dr locations) lost there sig allowance,,completly,, even for business or sig required pkgs.. every stop gets a designated allowance regardless . does this make sense to you Pman?

Makes no sense to me. I do not believe the systems work that way. I know for a fact, that the systems do not make a different calculation by driver.

At best, the calculation can be changed by unit. If they did so, it would be violating process because a legitimate signature would get no allowance.

I have never heard of this before....

P-Man

hellfire

Makes no sense to me. I do not believe the systems work that way. I know for a fact, that the systems do not make a different calculation by driver.

At best, the calculation can be changed by unit. If they did so, it would be violating process because a legitimate signature would get no allowance.

P-Man
ok,,,thx for the response,,im very confused,,i trust those in my management team,,, our center recently lost massive allowance on our last time study, so it would make sense for ie to say stop the sigs at dr locations or we ping you with a loss in allowance,,but since the study is set in stone now i see no reason for either sides agenda to continue,, but like i said i know and trust those i spoke with today regarding the no sig allowance ,,,also what process would ie be violating

pretzel_man

ok,,,thx for the response,,im very confused,,i trust those in my management team,,, our center recently lost massive allowance on our last time study, so it would make sense for ie to say stop the sigs at dr locations or we ping you with a loss in allowance,,but since the study is set in stone now i see no reason for either sides agenda to continue,, but like i said i know and trust those i spoke with today regarding the no sig allowance ,,,also what process would ie be violating

In an attempt to take away allowances for the inappropriate obtaining of a signature, they would be taking away time when a signature was proper. The systems do not know the difference. This is a violation....

hellfire

In an attempt to take away allowances for the inappropriate obtaining of a signature, they would be taking away time when a signature was proper. The systems do not know the difference. This is a violation....
...thx again,,who would correct the violation if the ie manager set it into stone? also,,a violation of what?? ethics? code? procedure? give me some ammo here....

pretzel_man

...thx again,,who would correct the violation if the ie manager set it into stone? also,,a violation of what?? ethics? code? procedure? give me some ammo here....

The violation is not providing proper allowed time.

The question to ask is "if a driver has a signature required package, will the driver get an allowance?"

If that answer is no, then there is a problem... If proper methods are followed with a correct job setup, an allowance should be given.

I'd be interested in their answer.

atatbl

P-Man

This is correct. Also, the systems P-Man is speaking about are 'about' as universal as you can get at UPS.... if that makes any sense. I have a feeling I know what your management team is doing. I think all small package management that reads this board knows what they are doing. However, I will not speculate as to what someone's/some people's intentions are when I do not know them or the circumstances. This is especially relevant since you actually know these people and work with them daily.

I will, however, say this.... there is no reasonable way to change this based on route.

P-Man was exactly correct when he said "At best, the calculation can be changed by unit. If they did so, it would be violating process because a legitimate signature would get no allowance."

The unit changes are not negotiable by day. In fact, you would have to make major edits that would blink red to everyone of importance in the district. This is why I am saying reasonable. To put this in perspective....... For what you believed may have been happening and what the management team to have told you was happening...... It would not be an exaggeration to say that UPS would have to stop functioning as a whole and break down into mom 'n pop shops overnight. The timecard and DIR systems are linked to the top of the chain and it's no joke. That seems like a big statement..... I know.....

To ensure that I am not exaggerating here, I welcome any management person here to tell me if they don't believe my next statement to be true (including P-Man..... who could know this for a fact :happy-very:) Management commitee members and possibly the CEO look at a total number of SPC, SPOHR and gross over-allowed the next business day in the morning. Since not all situations can be accounted for there is probably a standard deviation trend that is used to figure the swing of accuracy on previous day results. What this means is that many (company-wide) timecards will be errors or erroneous in some way and will be corrected. If a certain district (due to a certain division, due to a certain center) keep skewing the numbers, it will be looked into. This is why it doesn't take a CSI team to terminate corrupt management.... they do it themselves.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
This is correct. Also, the systems P-Man is speaking about are 'about' as universal as you can get at UPS.... if that makes any sense. I have a feeling I know what your management team is doing. I think all small package management that reads this board knows what they are doing. However, I will not speculate as to what someone's/some people's intentions are when I do not know them or the circumstances. This is especially relevant since you actually know these people and work with them daily.

I will, however, say this.... there is no reasonable way to change this based on route.

P-Man was exactly correct when he said "At best, the calculation can be changed by unit. If they did so, it would be violating process because a legitimate signature would get no allowance.:censored2:

The unit changes are not negotiable by day. In fact, you would have to make major edits that would blink red to everyone of importance in the district. This is why I am saying reasonable. To put this in perspective....... For what you believed may have been happening and what the management team to have told you was happening...... It would not be an exaggeration to say that UPS would have to stop functioning as a whole and break down into mom 'n pop shops overnight. The timecard and DIR systems are linked to the top of the chain and it's no joke. That seems like a big statement..... I know.....

To ensure that I am not exaggerating here, I welcome any management person here to tell me if they don't believe my next statement to be true (including P-Man..... who could know this for a fact :happy-very:) Management commitee members and possibly the CEO look at a total number of SPC, SPOHR and gross over-allowed the next business day in the morning. Since not all situations can be accounted for there is probably a standard deviation trend that is used to figure the swing of accuracy on previous day results. What this means is that many (company-wide) timecards will be errors or erroneous in some way and will be corrected. If a certain district (due to a certain division, due to a certain center) keep skewing the numbers, it will be looked into. This is why it doesn't take a CSI team to terminate corrupt management.... they do it themselves.

What he's trying to tell you is that your manager is lying to your face to try and make everyone think they are not gaining anything by getting signatures, in hopes they will stop getting them and move faster!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
What he's trying to tell you is that your manager is lying to your face to try and make everyone think they are not gaining anything by getting signatures, in hopes they will stop getting them and move faster!![/QUOTE

I believe that is the correct answer.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
seems our local IE has deemed our center as a DR center , meaning the signature allowance is gone, im curious as to how a center becomes a DR only center??

Seems impossible to eliminate signature allowance - what about Apple IPAD delivery confirmation, high value pkgs requiring adult signature, etc.....

Do they reroute all these type of pkgs to other centers?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Seems impossible to eliminate signature allowance - what about Apple IPAD delivery confirmation, high value pkgs requiring adult signature, etc.....

I don't think he's saying they don't have to obtain signatures.
Rather they don't get an allowance for it toward their planned day.
I find this to be hard to believe.
I also find it hard to care.

hellfire

The violation is not providing proper allowed time.

The question to ask is "if a driver has a signature required package, will the driver get an allowance?"

If that answer is no, then there is a problem... If proper methods are followed with a correct job setup, an allowance should be given.

I'd be interested in their answer.
ok...found out more,, business sigs will get a allowance however any sig required or bad/no dr pkg will get no allowance,, thats from local ie

hellfire

I don't think he's saying they don't have to obtain signatures.
Rather they don't get an allowance for it toward their planned day.
I find this to be hard to believe.
I also find it hard to care.

if you dont care dont post,,, and if you dont care it doesnt show because after spending the day at the company you hate you get on a ups forum to complain more

UPS Lifer

Unit allowances are determined by types of buidings - number of businesses vs residential - speed limits in the unit - average walk distance. All the things above have a TMU - time measurement unit associated with it. It may take an average of 20 seconds longer to get a signature so the DIAD adds the number of signatures to the total day. To my knowledge it is not added by unit. The overall allowance for the unit "figures in" the average number of DR vs Signature plus some of the things stated above and then adds the TMU. You have no control over how long it takes to get a signature but you do have control over how long it takes to DR. So less signatures should mean you are more consistent in your delivery routine. This would be an advantage to you and the center.

Bottom line - if the center says a unit allowance dropped because they have approved more DR for that unit then if you get the same amount of signatures you will be overallowed or more over allowed for that unit than prior to the unit allowance change. You should be able to do the unit faster causing you to work less time and increase SPORH. Even with more signatures the added TMU will probably not make up the difference because the allowance for the unit is based on averages.

The only way to change the DIAD is for someone to go in and change the amount of signature stops. I don't know if someone can still go into PTE and do that been gone to long. Someone else would have to answer that. If it can be changed then you have time card manipulation and a very serious problem.