Question for the runner , gunners.

35years

Gravy route
8.9 hours is the ideal to them as I am told by my OnCar. I told him that's an hour to much.
Plan day management target when I started driving...8.4 hours ave per driver
Plan day management target raised to 8.6 hrs (aprox 1990)
Plan day management target raised to 8.8 hrs (aprox 1993)
Plan day management target raised to 9.2 hrs (aprox 2000)
Plan day management target raised to 9.6 hrs (5 years ago)
Plan day averages 10.2 hours in my center (non peak) (4 years ago)

Teamsters decide to get serious about 9.5 grievances (3 years ago)
I keep filing, as I always have, but now I get paid on grievances.

3/4 of center on 9.5 list and grievances paid; over 9.5s cut back. (2 years ago)

Virtually no one working three 9.5s who is on the list (last year)

January 2016 many get on list but 9.5s are cut back immediately.

9.5 list is a beautiful thing!

35years

Gravy route
I gained 1.25 hours on a time study years ago. Nothing had changed on the route. No development or re-looping, nothing.

I went from .75 over to .5 under doing nothing different, overnight.
So when I hear drivers complain about other drivers being slugs I tell them I don't listen to drivers badmouthing other drivers.

Don't play their stupid numbers game.
Stop complaining about other drivers, you are not in their shoes.
I can't believe the number of drivers who allow management to manipulate them into believing it is other drivers fault that they are over-dispatched.
"you are slammed today because so-and-so called in or requested 8 or is lazy."
What a crock!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Maybe for you. I'm a scratch or under driver. No running. You'd be shocked at how slow I move. My OnCar even made note to me one day that he followed me and couldn't believe how much he thinks I screw around yet show up under on the report daily. I told him, "I'm just that good."
That's pretty awesome though.... Sup can't do sh/t about it... Lol

onestoptogo

Management pressure... The union should just cut the bonus system out next contract... Just get rid of the damn thing... Should be used as a chip in negotiations if we don't get what the members collectively want...
I don't believe bonus is mentioned anywhere in the contract and UPS could stop paying it without notice. No chip here to use in negotiations.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't believe bonus is mentioned anywhere in the contract and UPS could stop paying it without notice. No chip here to use in negotiations.
They want the impression of having a bonus system but they don't want to pay it out so they continue to tighten up the allowances...if there was no bonus system the few that do get bonus and run their ass off might wise up... Ups doesn't want this ...I know in centers that have voted bonus out, ups seems to have a fing fit when this happens

S

selfcancelsignal

I hear that. My center would friend you over and pile on the stops until you got within minutes of 9.5 then leave you there. Overtime every single day. We also have this weird situation going on where one week work is nice and smooth, stops counts in check. The next week all hell breaks loose and we are entirely over dispatched. The cycle repeats weekly.

Hey, by the way, what exactly does UPS/union consider "a fair days work?" I've been pondering this for a while now. I personally don't think daily overtime is a fair days work. But I'm the type that prefers to be at home instead of at work
I've noticed the every other week good/bad dispatch deal too of late. It's always a fair days pay, but rarely a fair days work.

Holydriver

3/4 of center on 9.5 list and grievances paid; over 9.5s cut back. (2 years ago)

the 9.5 list shouldnt even exist. dispatch should be limited to 9.5 hours max for all routes excluding the period between thanksgiving and xmas.

hyena

It's in there. It says something to the effect of no new bonus centers will be implemented. And the ones that are bonus stay that way unless more then half the drivers vote it out.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I couldn't tell you what my planned day averaged over the years, let alone my Center.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A surprising number of the runner-gunners I see do it for no reason other than management approval. They really want that attaboy, to the point that they will work off of the clock and take unsafe shortcuts to get it.

Rack em

Made the Podium
A surprising number of the runner-gunners I see do it for no reason other than management approval. They really want that attaboy, to the point that they will work off of the clock and take unsafe shortcuts to get it.
I used to be like this when I was a preloader and utility driver. I would crush routes and come in over 2 hours under instead of pacing myself and making easy OT. I thought it would make me look good when I went to qualify later on, but all it did take money out of my pocket. Ahhh the stupid things we do as rookies

Holydriver

How do you even know this? Do you ask them? Do they reply "for management approval" ? Or do you just assume this because you can't fathom another man may have different life goals than you?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I used to be like this when I was a preloader and utility driver. I would crush routes and come in over 2 hours under instead of pacing myself and making easy OT. I thought it would make me look good when I went to qualify later on, but all it did take money out of my pocket. Ahhh the stupid things we do as rookies
If I run 2 hours under, it's $100 in my wallet. Damn bonus.