Question for veteran drivers..

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yep but you couldn't hook up your radio to the wiring harness - had to use batteries. BS about battery drain or electrical hazards.
Of course it's a pile of crap....if they could get away with not having heat in the PC's, they would. No heat for you...UPS is going green...lol

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
There is a legendary story about two of my co-workers who many many years ago did 300 stops out of a rental. One drove and the other hung off the back with the diad and would sort and holler to stop at each stop. We now call it the trashman method of rental delivery. Obviously it was in the good old days when the motto was "just get it done"

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I love my Public radio station all day running misloads. Rentals are terrible to deliver out of which is why they give the package cars to the proven hot shots. Give the rentals to bulk stops and pick ups.

Not where I'm from. I've always been a route killer, but would still get stuck with a rental come peak time. That's fine, give me a rental with a newbie who doesn't know what a next day air is. I'll destroy you with a boatload of late airs/ savers and misroutes.

And 300 out of a rental is expected here

BigBeef42

Im in a rental right now. The first half of the day is in a 23ft truck del 200+pkgs and the 2nd half of the say is in a 10ft rental delivering 1000pkgs to post offices.

I friggin hate missloads, my preloader is new and very inept.

Sent using Ink and Canvas

Thebrownstreak

I did 3 years in a rental....20-30 businesses on 1 commercial highway, then between 280-300 residential stops..had a Helper and we would jam as many packages in cab with us as we could stately do....I had 5 large residential developments in the suburbs....roughly 60 stops in each development....I actually thought the rentals were resort for things like that, but my loader was a genius when it came to loading.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I've been running a rental a lot lately and I have a feeling I will be for the rest of peak. With all the additional routes in, my route has mostly been made up rural stuff, and the rental hasn't been too bad with that, but I can imagine a rental would be pretty torturous running congested in-town stuff. I will miss the radio though.

PT Car Washer

I've been running a rental a lot lately and I have a feeling I will be for the rest of peak. With all the additional routes in, my route has mostly been made up rural stuff, and the rental hasn't been too bad with that, but I can imagine a rental would be pretty torturous running congested in-town stuff. I will miss the radio though.
I ran rural routes in a rental Friday. Gravel roads and NPR on the radio. Don't get no better.

mrbrownstone

This is my 2nd peak in a rental. This year they put me in a 26 foot straight truck. I never driven anything that large in my life so it took some getting used to.

I do all bulk stops and pickups. I absolutely put packages in the cab when I am delivering in a shopping center where certain stores only have a few small packages. I also put my NDAs in the cab.

My On Road Sup saw me with NDAs in the cab one morning and didn't say a word. If they want em their by 1030 then I have to be able to find them.

My 2 big gripes with rentals is that the turning radius sucks especially in the 16 foot Uhauls and no backup camera.

In my center there are new drivers and veteran drivers in rentals also.

One nice thing about the straight strucks is since they are so big I have some business pickups that just push whole skids in my truck. One business today drove skids in with a forklift. Oh and the air ride seat kicks ass. It is really comfortable.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Never had a rental but like my 2nd peak, we had a guy with a rental whos truck broke down. Me and my jumper went to him after we were done with like 250 stops and took what he had left in the rental and it had to be at least 100 to 150 left. The driver hopped on and I let him drive cause it was his route, so we had 3 guys running packages out of 1 truck. We all punched out like 1230 or so. Back in the day when there was no DOT rules and like I said back then more so than now anything goes during peak lol. All about getting it done cause the cards are already stacked against you during peak anyway.