Question on calling/texting in?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I hear and understand you, Asinine. You need to stay home and watch TV. Maybe get yourself a soft, fluffy pillow and some hot cocoa. Don't forget the woolen socks to make sure your toesies don't get too cold. That's all you'd need now.
I really hope you get better soon. Are you in Japan? Maybe it is worse than the sniffles. Does your tummy hurt?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Go into work if you are not truly bedridden sick, throwing up, fever, you know the deal.

When you get to work, let your management know immediately you are somewhat sick and considered calling out. You're not in good shape. In case they are overstaffed maybe they'll let you cut out since you did come in and genuinely do not feel well. Maybe they'll let you cut out after a couple hours (break) or something. That's how it works in the buildings I have been around.

Do the right thing , for yourself and coworkers. IF you're really bad and contagious, just book off and book on when you are better. Goto a walk-in for treatment and doctor note if it is more than 3 days out.

UPSGUY72

I never call in sick if I'm sick I go to work. If I call in I'm doing something fun playing golf, leaving for vacation early, etc

blue efficacy

Yeah, let's all encourage someone who is sick to go into work and stress their body further, which impedes the body's ability to heal itself. Good idea. If he is contagious, he may get other employees sick, too. But at least he is tough! Forget common sense, we all need to demonstrate what large amounts of testosterone we have. Also, he can get his coworkers sick who can also demonstrate how tough they are by working through sickness!
I apologize on behalf of my colleagues here, many of them subscribe to backwards beliefs. If you really feel gross, make the call. If you're not one of these people who skips work all of the time Management will understand, I am sure many can tell if it is a bogus call in or not.
You need to abuse call ins quite a bit as a part timer to get disciplined. That said, don't abuse that fact. If you just feel mildly sick, moving around might help. If it is worse, it won't. I speak from experience trying to "tough it out."
In summary, calling in because you legitimately do not feel well is not being lazy or weak. It is a demonstration of common sense, and respect for your body.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah, let's all encourage someone who is sick to go into work and stress their body further, which impedes the body's ability to heal itself. Good idea. If he is contagious, he may get other employees sick, too. But at least he is tough! Forget common sense, we all need to demonstrate what large amounts of testosterone we have. Also, he can get his coworkers sick who can also demonstrate how tough they are by working through sickness!
I apologize on behalf of my colleagues here, many of them subscribe to backwards beliefs. If you really feel gross, make the call. If you're not one of these people who skips work all of the time Management will understand, I am sure many can tell if it is a bogus call in or not.
You need to abuse call ins quite a bit as a part timer to get disciplined. That said, don't abuse that fact. If you just feel mildly sick, moving around might help. If it is worse, it won't. I speak from experience trying to "tough it out."
In summary, calling in because you legitimately do not feel well is not being lazy or weak. It is a demonstration of common sense, and respect for your body.

Exactly.

I don't want to work around people that are sick and contagious. I do want people to come to work that are "tired" or have a cold.

During peak, we had one kid that begged to go out to his car and sleep because he was tired! They let him, he came back two hours later near end of shift and punched back in! Can you believe that?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I woke up as sore as ever and on top of that, a pretty bad head cold. Everytime I stand up, it gets hard to, and I get a little bit nauseated I suppose
That discribes every morning at UPS. IF I had stayed home every time I had those symptoms..........well, I would still be working on my third year seniority.

Its up to you. Call or dont call. But give your center your sob story, as here it will recieve exactly what you have gotten.

d

Asinine

Thanks everyone who came in and gave the decent responses. I did go in and I won't give you the big life story, but sad to say it was a Monday and I think I nearly passed out haha. Honestly I did not want to miss because I need the money like everyone else, but good lord. Anyways I didn't know how he would take it since technically I don't even HAVE days to take off as a new hire. I mean he is a young 20 year old college student like everyone else, but like I said, I couldn't predict how well he wants to follow call ins even though there are usually 2 people at any given time on our belt that call in weekly.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Glad you survived. I know its tough to work on the preload, 8 yrs of it. Point being you proved yourself. I chime with the others tho, I prefer to be paid to be sick, and call off when I have something important to do. Since we dont get sick days, we have to

Asinine

Glad you survived. I know its tough to work on the preload, 8 yrs of it. Point being you proved yourself. I chime with the others tho, I prefer to be paid to be sick, and call off when I have something important to do. Since we dont get sick days, we have to

Well actually it's just load, but I've heard about pre-load about how stressful it can be. I'd love that time shift, though. And that's true.