Quit ups.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I recently quit ups, willow grove hub, Pa. My full-time supervisor told me on my last day " if you dont finish the day im not going to pay you for unused vacation". I know by law he cannot do that, but its been almost three weeks. Ive spoken to my union rep, ive called HR, and my PTO is still not being processed. I have 40hrs of vacation time. And 7 personal days (not sure if you get reimbursed for those) which steps should I take now in order to get my money?

File a complaint with your states Attorney General's office. Watch how fast you get action as people have to answer. Be sure to include that supervisors name.

There is absolutely no law that entitles you to paid time off. Your state attorney general's office, the NLRB, etc. are NOT going to get involved.

It's a matter of contract law. Your contract gives you the option of either taking paid time off or selling it to the company at the beginning of the year. You choose to take the paid time off, but you didn't. Instead, you feel entitled for this time off to be bought. The contract doesn't cover that. And at this point, the union isn't going to help you. No lawyer's going to take your case since it's financially not worth it to them... and you'd likely lose, anyway.

In my 16-year career, UPS has been generous in cashing out paid time off to PTers as long as they put in & work a two-week notice. You were offered that option but declined. UPS will probably not pay you. Get over it.

UPSGUY72

You getting paid for leftover Vacation or sick days has nothing to do with the Sup. It a payroll issue in Atlanta. If you have questions about it contact the HR rep for your building. They will be able to help you.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
There is absolutely no law that entitles you to paid time off. Your state attorney general's office, the NLRB, etc. are NOT going to get involved.

It's a matter of contract law. Your contract gives you the option of either taking paid time off or selling it to the company at the beginning of the year. You choose to take the paid time off, but you didn't. Instead, you feel entitled for this time off to be bought. The contract doesn't cover that. And at this point, the union isn't going to help you. No lawyer's going to take your case since it's financially not worth it to them... and you'd likely lose, anyway.

In my 16-year career, UPS has been generous in cashing out paid time off to PTers as long as they put in & work a two-week notice. You were offered that option but declined. UPS will probably not pay you. Get over it.
in the master of the contract it states that all unused vacations and sick days will be paid the next business day if you are discharged but if you retire or quit they will be paid in the next pay period after your last day.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
https://www.workplacefairness.org/final-pay#3

3. I have accrued vacation time/sick time/personal leave days that I will not use before leaving my company. Is the company required to pay me for that time?

It depends on the type of leave that you have. 24 states--Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island (after one year of employment), Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wyoming--and the District of Columbia require that your employer include any unused vacation pay that has accrued (that you would have been entitled to use) in your final paycheck.

Unless required to do so under an employment contract, collective bargaining agreement, or other legally binding agreement, an employer is not required to pay employees for accrued sick time or personal leave when they leave their employment. In this respect, accrued sick time is unlike accrued vacation time which, in some states, must be paid as part of an employee's final paycheck. Some employers do pay employees for unused sick time, possibly as an incentive for employees to not misuse sick leave. However, this practice is generally completely voluntary, unless required by a contract as discussed above.

More companies are moving to a "paid time off" (PTO) system where days off are not designated as vacation leave, sick leave, or personal leave, to give employees more flexibility and to ease the administrative burden of tracking and policing workers' use of their time off. Where this is the case, remaining PTO days are generally treated the same as vacation days under the law. These days are considered to be accrued by the employee and payable when the employee leaves the job.

Sorry, Bagels.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

All it costs is a stamp and a letter. I think they would answer the complaint. One thing anyone at UPS hates to do is answer.

clean hairy

Does he have to get a withdrawl card, or does the Union automatically drop a person upon termination?
I could see him coming on here asking what to do about back dues.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Does he have to get a withdrawl card, or does the Union automatically drop a person upon termination?
I could see him coming on here asking what to do about back dues.
yes. I got one today. time down the road and you get another union job you would have to pay back dues. with a withdrawal card you don't.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You don 't need a withdrawal card when you retire.

No, you don't need one. But, considering the cost (25 cents in my local), why not?

BTW, Dave, *don't*.

1332069036810331540.png