Racism rears its ugly head

moreluck

golden ticket member
| Monday, February 20, 2012 @ 4:08 pm |
[h=2]Bad News: Food Police To Label Soft Drinks Racist…[/h]
soft.jpg

Have a Coke and a smile . . . you racist bastard!
Via Daily Caller:
“Spread of soda tax fizzles,” read a headline last week on authoritative state politics website Stateline. We shouldn’t pop the champagne cork just yet, though. Anti-sugar activists are still gunning for soft drinks.
Apparently, sugary beverages like soda, juice, and sports drinks are so nefarious that they warrant a two-day conference this summer. In June, the food-police Center for Science in the Public (or, really, their own fringe) Interest is rallying the troops in Washington, D.C. for another push to put the government in a wide swath of beverages. This follows on CSPI’s recent lead balloon of last fall’s “Food Day,” which generated noise but little else — similar to the prospects of this conference. [...]

But perhaps the most nauseating session will examine the “impact of sugary drinks in communities of color.” We can already guess what the conclusion will be: Soft drinks disproportionately “harm” urban minorities.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
| Monday, February 20, 2012 @ 4:08 pm |
Bad News: Food Police To Label Soft Drinks Racist…

Have a Coke and a smile . . . you racist bastard!
Via Daily Caller:
“Spread of soda tax fizzles,” read a headline last week on authoritative state politics website Stateline. We shouldn’t pop the champagne cork just yet, though. Anti-sugar activists are still gunning for soft drinks.
Apparently, sugary beverages like soda, juice, and sports drinks are so nefarious that they warrant a two-day conference this summer. In June, the food-police Center for Science in the Public (or, really, their own fringe) Interest is rallying the troops in Washington, D.C. for another push to put the government in a wide swath of beverages. This follows on CSPI’s recent lead balloon of last fall’s “Food Day,” which generated noise but little else — similar to the prospects of this conference. [...]

But perhaps the most nauseating session will examine the “impact of sugary drinks in communities of color.” We can already guess what the conclusion will be: Soft drinks disproportionately “harm” urban minorities.

Poor people who want to stretch their dollars as far as possible usually buy cheap food, which is loaded with cheap ingredients...like corn syrup. They don't want to buy crap, but lack of money dictates poor quality food. In many lower-income Black communities, shopping day means stocking-up on junk food, because they can get more of it for less money. It's well known that supermarkets in Black areas stock more sugary drinks and corn syrup laden foods because they are able to sell more of the product than in more affluent areas. In that sense, it is an attack on the Black community because they are the subjects of targeted marketing. This is also why you see malt liquor so heavily advertised in Black communities. It's a cheaper alternative to beer. More targeted marketing.

If you'd bother to educate yourself, you'd understand that poor people cannot afford to make healthy food choices most of the time. This is such a perfect illustration of how the Right twists a legitimate health concern into an attack on minorities. (Right WingTranslation): Black people are "stupid," and being concerned about health issues in the Black community is preferential treatment for the "coloreds".

moreluck

golden ticket member
Poor people who want to stretch their dollars as far as possible usually buy cheap food, which is loaded with cheap ingredients...like corn syrup. They don't want to buy crap, but lack of money dictates poor quality food. In many lower-income Black communities, shopping day means stocking-up on junk food, because they can get more of it for less money. It's well known that supermarkets in Black areas stock more sugary drinks and corn syrup laden foods because they are able to sell more of the product than in more affluent areas. In that sense, it is an attack on the Black community because they are the subjects of targeted marketing. This is also why you see malt liquor so heavily advertised in Black communities. It's a cheaper alternative to beer. More targeted marketing.

If you'd bother to educate yourself, you'd understand that poor people cannot afford to make healthy food choices most of the time. This is such a perfect illustration of how the Right twists a legitimate health concern into an attack on minorities. (Right WingTranslation): Black people are "stupid," and being concerned about health issues in the Black community is preferential treatment for the "coloreds".

Do these same poor people have water at their house?? I drink water with all my meals......mostly because I have to take pills. . . . . but still........the kids would probably quit climbing the walls too.
The health concern is this...."We can't afford pop, get over it drink water ....now sit your butt down and eat!! That's how it goes in my house.
Parents can put their foot down or just be lazy, buy the pop and have an obese kid.

Don't make excuses for bad parenting. You already pay for water....make that your #1 beverage. Not the bottled crap either....you need the flouride.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I remember what did she call them, oh ya food deserts.
So just how is that program started by the flotus going these days ?
I don't think she has much to say about it from the ski lifts in Aspen.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I remember what did she call them, oh ya food deserts.
So just how is that program started by the flotus going these days ?
I don't think she has much to say about it from the ski lifts in Aspen.

It's all part of the Obama plot to undermine the soft drink industry and replace all of them with "Commie Cola", which will be red in color, with the hammer and sickle logo on the label. There will only be one choice in your market, and Michelle and Barack will take all of the profits for themselves.

Just curious. When Laura and George were on a fancy vacation, or Ronnie and Nancy went somewhere exotic, where was all the furor and criticism?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
L and G spent most of their vacations on their ranch, thus saving big bucks on travel expenses and security.
How many times have b & m returned to their home since 2008 to vacation ?

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's all part of the Obama plot to undermine the soft drink industry and replace all of them with "Commie Cola", which will be red in color, with the hammer and sickle logo on the label. There will only be one choice in your market, and Michelle and Barack will take all of the profits for themselves.

Just curious. When Laura and George were on a fancy vacation, or Ronnie and Nancy went somewhere exotic, where was all the furor and criticism?
They didn't do it 16 times in 3 years and they used Camp David for getaways as well as their own ranches.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
L and G spent most of their vacations on their ranch, thus saving big bucks on travel expenses and security.
How many times have b & m returned to their home since 2008 to vacation ?

So what? I really doubt that L and G did that (going to the ranch) with saving taxpayer money in mind. Isn't this the same GWB that spent like a drunken sailor while he was Prez, and spent far more time on vacation at Crawford than Obama has at all destinations combined? BHO likes to golf, and GWB liked to clear brush on his ranch. At least BHO stays in Washington most of the time and does his job. I do believe that Bush was out clearing tumbleweedsand eating pretzels when he got the intelligence report warning of an impending terrorist attack on the US, which he ignored. That particular report concerned what was to transpire on 9-11. Any excuse to attack Obama.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Meaning, we could've been out of the mess in a year's time...............

...not likely. Our economy is much more global in nature that it was during 1919-20 and simply allowing the markets to crash and correct themselves would have had devastating consequences beyond our borders.

You need to look no further than the debt crisis in Greece if you think I am wrong.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Meaning, we could've been out of the mess in a year's time...............

Or in a deep Depression for many years. The USA didn't truly emerge from the Depression until WWII. I love the simple-mindedness of the "Free Market", a "solution" that only works in Libertarian fairy tales. It would be really scary to have this country back under Republican control because the party has gone so far to the right that it's actually insane. Go figure.

av8torntn

Or in a deep Depression for many years. The USA didn't truly emerge from the Depression until WWII. I love the simple-mindedness of the "Free Market", a "solution" that only works in Libertarian fairy tales. It would be really scary to have this country back under Republican control because the party has gone so far to the right that it's actually insane. Go figure.

Actually we did not emerge from the great depression until taxes and government spending were cut.