Raise for drivers 118,000 USA drivers?

I don’t think we’re asking for the moon and the stars here. I just want the same buying power that our top rate had in the beginning of our contract maybe a little more than that.

And some other improvements to quality of life and job quality, and better job opportunities. They can do those things and still make a huge profit.
$4/hr at 52 hrs/wk comes out to $1.425B a year, just for drivers. I did the math and posted it a while back, I think we're somewhere around $4.40 in the red after inflation over the last two-plus years.

Shareholders were happy with the $5B-ish we made them in 2018. I feel like reinvesting in your workforce, and taking package decline into account, a regression to only making $9B could still be considered lucrative.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
All the hiring and expansions really hide how much we've expanded in general. Just a short few years ago this building was loading local routes tighter than sardines. Now like %45 of the volume and like %60 of the total service area got absorbed by new centers. Our highest milage routes are like 50 miles at most and that's only because they double-trip a bit to make pickups.
I tell newer folks all the time just how crazy it was to work here in the past. Just avalanches of packages going into cars 5 inches apart from one another. Now it's much calmer.

Last edited:

Mr. Marshall

Our pay is a joke as a full time driver for a company we make 13B for. No so more than ever. Most welders, electricians, armed security guards are around 50-60/hr in DC…. Target starts punks at 24/hr.
First of all welders and electricians are skilled positions and second everyone always quotes pie in the sky salaries for these positions and then somehow never actually proceed to get one of these fabulous high paying jobs (that don't actually exist). That Target number (and other jobs that people around here quote) was for temp work during the holiday season. Simple google searches show that they are hiring in the DC area for $17.50 right now.

textat3

What kind of benefits do they have?
Irrelevant sir,,,but what side are you on. Too many people, including you, think we are very well compensated. 4 years ago I would have kind of agreed, maybe 10% underpaid. In the post Covid world, our pay is a joke….especially when you factor in 1) the profits our work produces 2) the environment in which we work and 3) the nasty inflation Biden has caused/ failed to reign in. The shareholders got a 50% raise. I think anything less, over 5 years would be an insult. For the sake of clarity and full disclosure to previous statement….I say a 50% raise meaning out total benefit package…..hourly rate + health +pension contributions. Please don’t cheat yourself out of the pay you deserve. You work too hard for your money and your hard work enables Carol Tome to live like a queen. I am cool with that. I believe in capitalism. But those of us who live in major Metro areas know what a joke our pay is. Maybe Market rate adjustments should apply to all FT, PT for large metro areas.

Irrelevant sir,,,but what side are you on. Too many people, including you, think we are very well compensated. 4 years ago I would have kind of agreed, maybe 10% underpaid. In the post Covid world, our pay is a joke….especially when you factor in 1) the profits our work produces 2) the environment in which we work and 3) the nasty inflation Biden has caused/ failed to reign in. The shareholders got a 50% raise. I think anything less, over 5 years would be an insult. For the sake of clarity and full disclosure to previous statement….I say a 50% raise meaning out total benefit package…..hourly rate + health +pension contributions. Please don’t cheat yourself out of the pay you deserve. You work too hard for your money and your hard work enables Carol Tome to live like a queen. I am cool with that. I believe in capitalism. But those of us who live in major Metro areas know what a joke our pay is. Maybe Market rate adjustments should apply to all FT, PT for large metro areas.
I have zero problems with the the company paying a little bit more and markets work cost of living is very expensive.

Yes we all deserve a good raise but we also have to look at what the rest of America is making.
Most of us do not realize how much are benefits are worth.

Are benefits are worth more than what people make in an entire year

anonymous23456

Not sure what UPS gross profit last year was, but there is 118,000 USA drivers. Just drivers alone with a 40,000 dollar increase for each driver in a year that would cost UPS 4.7 billion dollars, which I'm sure they profit close to triple that. What are they doing with all the profit? We need to get paid, that's for sure. If I'm way off, clown all you want.
You see...That's the difference between management and rank and file. You are only looking at that narrowed view. Did you include expense, maintenance, and the cost of doing business (paying taxes included).

anonymous23456

Not only the cost of doing business currently...the cost of what UPS needs to do in the future. It is still a cost but not as much. Do you sit on your laurels and 5 to 10 years from now UPS loses businesses because other companies are constantly wanting to dethrone UPS with new ideas. Don't say it will never happen. Just go back in American business history and see how many old brands are gone forever.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Company could save a lot of money getting rid of useless on roads. Take half portion of would be pay and pay center manager more and other parts elsewhere

anonymous23456

I can't expect to join the Army and the general will say: you are a soldier. Here is your rifle and go out there figuring out how to fight.

Everything in this life has some kind of organization and chain of command. I know many of us have the attitude: just leave me alone to figure out how to do my job.

21Savage

I haven't seen a building upgrade in so long... We have 40 year old bathrooms. Please, for the love of god... :(
They upgraded our break room last week. Got rid of 2 vending machines and replaced them with this. It's pretty neat.

Attachments

• IMG_1230.jpeg
    IMG_1230.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 31

anonymous23456

Ups should be banned from asking Honeywell to make another diad. Pay us, improve buildings, expand buildings.
Well, you are opening a can of worm. What if UPS says to all drivers: if you want to work here, buy this 1K xyz brand smartphone and download our MDA. It is our complete replacement for DIAD. There isn't a thing you can do about it either. I rather have a dedicated device than being forced to download an app. PNC bank starts doing that with Zelle payment. You can't go online banking and send money. You will download a PNC app to your phone! Don't like it? Close your PNC bank account and go somewhere else since we don't care. It is nothing but inconvenience.