Raise in new contract

Satuirus2000

A lot of the rail workers did eventually get granted sick days.

And ironically enough the union thanked the Biden administration for quietly pushing behind the scenes to make it happen and get those sick days so I don't know why people keep acting like the administration was trying to screw them over.

In any case this is good news for anybody who thinks the government is going to step in and screw us over if there was a strike. UPS management can't hope the gov. is going to "save" them by forcing teamsters back to work. Even if they could, the damage will have already been done, and entirely of UPS management's own making.

BlackCat

True, but without shareholders, there would be no Company and we wouldn't have a job. Without you, the Company can survive. You can be replaced. Without the shareholders, there is no Company. It's a symbiotic relationship, but the Company comes first. We are a close second. If the Company doesn't make money, they go out of business and we don't have a job.

1. Someone starts a company
2. Said Company hires employees.
That’s not true..

We seemed to have a company just fine without having shareholders.

Trucker Clock

That’s not true..

We seemed to have a company just fine without having shareholders.

25 years ago. And there was no competition. We were all there was besides the post office which didn’t deliver many packages.

Without going public and getting the capital to expand, how do you know they would even be in business today.

FedEx ground didn’t exist yet, or was just getting started. The Amazon we now know did not exist. All these regional deliver companies didn’t exist.

BlackCat

25 years ago. And there was no competition. We were all there was besides the post office which didn’t deliver many packages.

Without going public and getting the capital to expand, how do you know they would even be in business today.

FedEx ground didn’t exist yet, or was just getting started. The Amazon we now know did not exist. All these regional deliver companies didn’t exist.
You can move the goalposts as you wish.

I was merely pointing to the fact that you were making a declaration that wasn’t factually correct.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

It was RPS, and it was around a few years after I starting in 90’. I believe you are right, UPS saw the handwriting on the wall and decided it had to expand or lose significant market share over time.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I'm out of the game. Retired UPS since 2009.
The strike turned the scab labor mentality of FedX on.
When stock went public, it changed the rules, management, and UPS forever.
70% of my route was Amazon when I quit. I was out in the sticks.

FedX and Amazon both have major labor problems. I see both getting worse. Neither can come close to UPS when it comes to moving a package. While a lower cost is appealing to a company, after time dealing with poor service, unprofessionals, and drivers who look and act like felons, the business lost for a while always came back.
If you don't get a good contract, vote no. Don't let the same old blow fool you.

Trucker Clock

It was RPS, and it was around a few years after I starting in 90’. I believe you are right, UPS saw the handwriting on the wall and decided it had to expand or lose significant market share over time.

RPS was not competition. Started by Roadway. They sucked worse than the post office. But, when FedEx bought them, the writing was on the wall.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
RPS lost millions the year Freddy bought em.
They did the same thing Roadway did, except use scab labor.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
I'm out of the game. Retired UPS since 2009.
The strike turned the scab labor mentality of FedX on.
When stock went public, it changed the rules, management, and UPS forever.
70% of my route was Amazon when I quit. I was out in the sticks.

FedX and Amazon both have major labor problems. I see both getting worse. Neither can come close to UPS when it comes to moving a package. While a lower cost is appealing to a company, after time dealing with poor service, unprofessionals, and drivers who look and act like felons, the business lost for a while always came back.
If you don't get a good contract, vote no. Don't let the same old blow fool you.
Watching Bonehead Truckers, UPS only appeared as morons who blocked fuel aisles. FedEx and Amazon keep crashing or dive into ditches

pkgdriver

RPS was started in Pittsburgh in 1985. I didnt see them much in 86 when I started. They had tracking, Consignee Billing and a few other things UPS did not. Growth came fast. There were a few regional carriers but nothing like today. They didnt last long either.