Raise time.

What are you going to do with your raise?

• Put in 401k

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Spend it.

Votes: 14 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JL 0513

Your "tangible" assets won't be worth squat either.

I'm talking assets that you need and can use in the future. Not for the sake of reselling them, so it doesn't matter if the asset's value tanks as well.

When you own a house, and the market tanks, the house still has the same value to you unless you want to sell. Hopefully you don't need to sell. Same with anything else you own and continue to need. It's nice to have things like gold as a hedge, but those things are secondary. Might as well be prepared and own the things you need and will need.

JL 0513

Atleast we get raises. Many people don't.

No raises is sadly quite common. My last job I worked 3 years and didn't get a dime in increase. If I stayed another 3, I still wouldn't have gotten one. There was no point in asking the owner for one either. When it's the type of job that can be filled in a couple days by a replacement that needs minimal training, companies will look for a reason to do that than give annual raises.

It's one of my favorite things about being part of a union. Built in GWI's. Don't have to find the courage to somehow walk into the boss's office and start a conversation about a raise. Most people are actually too afraid to do so.

SCV good to go sir.

As cover, I think the only raise I get is after my 6 months, I should be at 75% of top rate. :censored2:, 401k, I put some in when I got a raise in the hub, but I really think that money isn't going to be there for me down the line.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
No raises is sadly quite common. My last job I worked 3 years and didn't get a dime in increase. If I stayed another 3, I still wouldn't have gotten one. There was no point in asking the owner for one either. When it's the type of job that can be filled in a couple days by a replacement that needs minimal training, companies will look for a reason to do that than give annual raises.

It's one of my favorite things about being part of a union. Built in GWI's. Don't have to find the courage to somehow walk into the boss's office and start a conversation about a raise. Most people are actually too afraid to do so.
If you can't stand up for yourself, have no backbone to ask , or demand a raise in 6 years you need to reevaluate your ambition

JL 0513

If you can't stand up for yourself, have no backbone to ask , or demand a raise in 6 years you need to reevaluate your ambition

Many people just don't have it in them to go into certain types of bosses offices and have that awkward discussion. It really depends on the place. It's particularly hard if you are doing a non-skilled job and are disposable. It's one of the reasons I quit at 3 years because I knew what the environment was like. I never would've worked 6 years without a raise. It was a dead end anyway. Just temporary while waiting to drive.

By The Book

Depends on the local. Lets say your local has 10 agents, and they match the UPS benny package. On August 1, your local needs to come up with an additional $40 per week per agent. That's $40 X 52 X 10 = $20,800. If they also match the raise of .70 @ 40 hrs we have .70 x 40 x 52 x 10= $14,560. That's $35,000 more than they spent last year. Along with those 10 agents they also have clerical staff, replicating these numbers. Plus utility bills, repairs, building maintenance, purchasing contracts, etc.
It adds up.
Maybe they should cut an agent like they cut routes and move the work around.

hyena

Being on worker's compensation, I've had to cut back from the $100's and get by with singles.
View attachment 47008
image.jpg