Ran my first half marathon this wekend.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hey BC'ers,
Wanted to tell you all about my experience running my first half marathon. I know, it's not a "whole" marathon, but it's still pretty far to run, especially when you're running for no ther reason than to finish in a good time.

Anyways, the race started at 6:30am, Sunday. I ran the race with a girl I had been training with, who is really fast. We ran the first 5 miles at a 6:50 minute pace. We were up with the leaders for awhile, but lost sight of them after about 4 miles. After mile 5, I started fading a bit, but my friend continued at the same pace. By mile 10 I had only been passed by about 4 people. At this time a guy I know from the preload had caught up to me. He was also running with a girl and they both passed me. By mile 12 I pulled out all stops and prayed that God would help me catch up to them, as they had a 50 plus foot lead on me. I slowly picked up the pace and started closing in on them. I caught and passed them by mile 13, and started hoofing it toward the finish line. I ended up beating the preloader by 16 seconds. I finished the race in 1:35:43., 15th overall out of 256 and placed 3rd in my age group. I am so stoked.

upsdude

Steve, Steve, Steve. If you would have saved yourself by driving to work instead of riding that darn bike you could have ran the whole marathon!

Congrats!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's awsome bro. Half Marathon is a tough race that usually doesn't get a lot of respect outside of running circles because it's not a standard distance at the Olympics or World Championships. I always think it's funny when someone who has never run a step asks "How come you only ran a half marathon?" :happy-very:.
It sounds like you went out a little too fast, I bet if you had gone out at around a 7:00 minute pace you would have been duking it out in the last mile with those 4 people who passed you with a shot at cracking the top ten , but at least you caught that preloader and established building dominance!

Great job, 1:35 is smokin' (at least in my book) and it looks like you had pretty good weather for it too.

evilleace

Hey congratulations Steve that is a great time in my book. A couple of guys in my building run, in fact my pt. sup just ran in the chicago marathon a couple of weeks ago. Anyway keep up the good work!

upsdude

Come to think of it, reading Steve's post this morning made me really tired. I went in a took a request off day, I need a nap.

Steve, I would delete this thread if I were you because they`ll expect more SPH out of you when they see this. Props though. I used to do lots of marathons myself, er...actually I rode a bike and handed my wife water but I had to do it the whole way though.

Bad Gas!

Nice run Steve. Excellent pace around 7:15 per mile...I ran over 40 marathons between 1994 and 2006...The knees are gone from years of UPS and exercising....Endorfins is the best high in the world....If you go to Marathonguide.com you can pick a marathon and usually acompanied by half's in every state...It's a great way to see a city on vacation and then party afterword...if the wife permits it..Good luck with your next one after proper recovery time...

barnyard

KTM rider
Good job.

I ride enduros and hare scrambles (google them or GNCC racing) for my weekend fun.

Getting the endorphins pumping is all kinds of fun.

TB

Cementups

Box Monkey
Congrats Steve. running a marathon is on my to-do list. I need to get into shape first though. I had started running again after work a few weeks ago and quicky got side tracked. Need to get back out there.

mountaingoat

Last 1/2-marathon I did was in 99-degree weather with, like, 90% humidity. My shorts were soaked with sweat. I had to keep the fluids up that tun.

Nice job! Congratulations.