Random Drug Testing

Maui

Yep. Like I said, anyone holding a medical card is subject.

They could be, but are not required. Randoms are generated from a third party and the list includes only CDL positions.

Technically any employee could be subject to a random drug screen and some companies do that from VPs to CSAs and everyone in between. Compliance with the law is for CDL.

Oldfart

They could be, but are not required. Randoms are generated from a third party and the list includes only CDL positions.

Technically any employee could be subject to a random drug screen and some companies do that from VPs to CSAs and everyone in between. Compliance with the law is for CDL.
Unless it varies by atate, anyone with a medical card is subject to a random. That is covered in newhire defensive driving classes that I sit in on. The instructor is pretty good, I doubt they are giving bad info. Also post accident with an ambulance or wrecker call.

That was one of the reason we started doing non DOT couriers. No randoms and no physicals.

Last edited:

Express Courier

Last I heard someone getting drug tested at my station was around 2009 and it was a couple swing guys. I had a work buddy around 2004 get random tested after coming back from vacation and he got popped. Guess he was smoking some weed on vacay.

fedx

Extra Large Package
At one time anyone driving a dual wheel vehicle or anything over 16k lbs rating was required to have a CDL. The rules have changed over time.
Swings at our station are still required to have an H endorsement CDL due to the number of hospital facilities getting Radioactives.
I always thought a CDL (commercial drivers license) was a class A, but I'm finding out different. Oh and speaking of the rule you mentioned about anyone driving a dual wheel vehicle needing a CDL, I guess in some states a person who owns/drives a dually pickup truck is supposed to have at least a chauffeurs license. I know someone who was driving a dually pickup and he got pulled into the office at the weigh station just so they could check if he had at least a chauffeurs license. I didn't know people that drive dually pickups are supposed to have more than a standard C license.

Nolimitz

I guess in some states a person who owns/drives a dually pickup truck is supposed to have at least a chauffeurs license.

Sounds improbable. How would anyone be allowed to cross state lines with various laws regarding dually's and license requirements?

Oldfart

Sounds improbable. How would anyone be allowed to cross state lines with various laws regarding dually's and license requirements?
State laws are different and you are SUPPOSED to adhere to the laws in each state when you cross the lines but that is always a gray area. Certain states allow 15 yr olds to get a license to drive. When they cross into a state that requires you to be 16, are they in violation of that state law? No because they have a valid license in their state. I pull an open trailer with my car on it to other states for car shows. My state does not require a tag on my trailer as long as the tow vehicle is properly tagged. I have been pulled over a few times in other states and have been told to get a trailer tag. I now carry a copy of my states requirements in my glovebox to show I am in compliance in my home state. I see many big rigs at these car shows with huge camper bodies pulling 48 ft trailers. They think by putting "Private Coach, Not For Hire" decals on the side they are exempt from the scales and DOT rules. Let the wrong officer see you blow by the scales and they will find out different.

As far as CDL's. Some states have a Class A, B, C. Had a fella in class a few weeks back with a Class D, 1st I have seen. He pulled a 32ft trailer without airbrakes at a previous job.
As far as duallys. The original CDL requirement did include a dual wheel vehicle. I believe it was also weight related so to not require a person who drives a dually 1 ton personal vehicle would not be affected.

Maui

Unless it varies by atate, anyone with a medical card is subject to a random. That is covered in newhire defensive driving classes that I sit in on. The instructor is pretty good, I doubt they are giving bad info. Also post accident with an ambulance or wrecker call.

That was one of the reason we started doing non DOT couriers. No randoms and no physicals.

In other words you think I am providing bad info. I assure you I am not. Like I said before only CDL drivers are included in the random pool. Also, post-accident must include a citation for the driver to be DOT serious and require testing.

Here is the receipt from Testing Pool Inclusions: Can an employer include non-CDL drivers, who operate CMVs with 18,000 lbs. instead of conjecture:

HomeFAQs

Testing Pool Inclusions: Can an employer include non-CDL drivers, who operate CMVs with 18,000 lbs. GVWR, in the DOT random testing pools?
PreviousNext

No, an employer may not include non-CDL drivers in the DOT random testing pool. Please see 49 CFR § 40.347 (B) (2) The DOT and FMCSA drug and alcohol testing regulations apply to any person who operates a CMV, as defined in § 382.107, in intrastate or interstate commerce and is subject to the CDL requirements of 49 CFR Part 383,. An employer may perform testing beyond that required by the DOT rules, but the employer may not represent such testing as a DOT test and must place non-DOT covered employee drug and alcohol testing in a pool that is completely separate from the DOT covered testing pool. See §382.305 Question15.

Last Updated : May 20, 2015

Oldfart

but the employer may not represent such testing as a DOT test and must place non-DOT covered employee drug and alcohol testing in a pool that is completely separate from the DOT covered testing pool. See §382.305 Question15.

Last Updated : May 20, 2015

Who said the random must be declared a DOT test? Are ALL randoms DOT specific? I don't know. I have a Class A but have been classified as non DOT. Now that I went part time on an FO rt, I might let the CDL go and just get an friend endorsement or whatever my state requires to drive a Sprinter. Hopefully I won't even be working when my current license expires. Depends on how I like the 3 day workweek I just started.
I am told if an ambulance or a wrecker is called, a test is required post accident. Is that not correct?

Maui

Who said the random must be declared a DOT test? Are ALL randoms DOT specific? I don't know. I have a Class A but have been classified as non DOT. Now that I went part time on an FO rt, I might let the CDL go and just get an friend endorsement or whatever my state requires to drive a Sprinter. Hopefully I won't even be working when my current license expires. Depends on how I like the 3 day workweek I just started.
I am told if an ambulance or a wrecker is called, a test is required post accident. Is that not correct?

I don't think you are getting it. FMCSA requires random testing for CDL drivers. A pool is generated. fedEx uses escreen. That is the pool for random testing. FedEx does not have another pool for non-CDL positions. A driver may hold a CDL, but if they are classified as DOT or Non-DOT, then they are excluded from the random pool. Only/CDL is tested randomly.

Often FMCSA talks about DOT requirements, but means DOT subject to CDL requirements.

A driver must be cited to trigger post-accident testing.

Indecisi0n

We just got randomly tested. You should have saw the look on her face when I handed her the cup and she looked at me funny and said "No, I need urine".

Oops !

SmithBarney

I was tested randomly at least five times when I was a swing. Was a swing for 14 years.

I heard the same from a Swing in our station, about a straight laced as they get, yet they keep popping them for a random every 5months or so...hardly random.

As for other drivers at FDX Express, yes they can Random anyone they want, but they typically only hit the CDL DOT Swings CDL swings are only classified as such because they need haz endorsement.

Any accident(tier 2? and higher) results in a mandatory pee test. It's an insurance requirement from FedEx's Insurers.

fatboy33

I wonder if the swing is targeted because swing doesn't have an everyday route. I can't remember the last time someone at our station had to jump off their own route to go pee in a cup. Pretty sure the courier physical encompasses some form of drug testing, anyway.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I wonder if the swing is targeted because swing doesn't have an everyday route. I can't remember the last time someone at our station had to jump off their own route to go pee in a cup. Pretty sure the courier physical encompasses some form of drug testing, anyway.

Swings are often CDL drivers and there are DOT requirements about drug tests for those working with a CDL.